Or the other 3 southisland tracks

Edited by Mehe

2 hours ago, Mehe said:

So the talk is that tracks may close in New Zealand 

What tracks would you want to race on let's have a poll

Auckland or Hamilton 

Wanganui or Palmy 

Or the other 3 southisland tracks

Auckland was on the cards to close when their lease expires. Trainer numbers are too low to justify a new build. So, when looking at track viability it will be the first to get the chop. Wanganui and Palmy will stay for the meantime leaving three tracks in the North Island. Northern trainers will be forced to travel to make ends meet. Sadly a large number of small kennels will drop off. The question will be which South Island track/s is for the chop? Any closure decision made, will be based on financial viability and projections. 

There is a possibility that the TAB never recovers from it's present situation. It may need to reinvent it's self focusing solely on sports betting, reducing it's overheads and liabilities. If that were to happen racing may not survive. The other possibility for the greyhound code is this. If greyhound racing becomes an activity that benefits very few (trainer numbers) it will go.

Edited by Cockyaleg

I wouldn't rule out all greyhound tracks being closed.

COVID-19 could make the perfect excuse (to save face for many past and present) to simply close up shop.

• Cole's disrepute to the code will be headlining in the very near future.
  • GRNZ continues to have dysfunctional board, riddled with conflicts of interest.
  • The RIU has never proven to be remotely effective at policing the code.
  • The JCA has proven time and time again they are not up to their role of the judge and jury.
  • GRNZ stakeholders provide probably ten times the number of greyhounds, via breeding and importing, than can ever hope to be retired in a responsible way.

Just go outside the square and think about it a bit.

COVID-19 might just be the scape goat excuse they've been waiting for...

Edited by Yankiwi
  • Like 2

I here that there will be 2 tracks in the north island and 1 in the south island with Auckland going and palmy going and also Dunedin and invercargill 

But that's not what the post is about it's about what tracks would you rather race on

Mehe

Please share with all that have not heard this officially which tracks are to close and where did you hear this, other than in your head, as this would/will massively affect many people financially and life as they know it, with lifetimes of effort and money spent and now lost . Your childish ego post who wants this closed etc, enough negative crap, please put up and let us know where this came from. You obviously have zero invested in the industry , not even 10% of your pocket money ? The effect of this to many good people is way above your level of comprehension.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, $ BILL said:

Mehe

Please share with all that have not heard this officially which tracks are to close and where did you hear this, other than in your head, as this would/will massively affect many people financially and life as they know it, with lifetimes of effort and money spent and now lost . Your childish ego post who wants this closed etc, enough negative crap, please put up and let us know where this came from. You obviously have zero invested in the industry , not even 10% of your pocket money ? The effect of this to many good people is way above your level of comprehension.

Barsi floated it  ages ago

Bill you dick head get with it I wont post shit 

You should read what you have said and then come back with and apology 

But I bet you dont do that will you make some phone call as well

And for saying 10 percent of my pocket money you have got know idea what your on  about maybe you need some more crack 

Really ???

Barsi floated it ? WTF is that supposed to mean when the question is please present some facts regarding his BS statement. Read the post muppett where did Mehe get the information that he is stating as fact AS OF TODAY ??? regarding track closures. Please share.

Mehe

All I asked for was a statement of fact as of where did your information come from, as I am sure if this is fact it will be in writing where we can all read. Your abuse is pathetic and childish as previously stated regarding your posts. Please no more abuse, show where your post has any truth or factual information to it and I will apologise immediately. Phone call, post whatever makes you happy if you can back your claim as fact ?

28 minutes ago, $ BILL said:

Really ???

Barsi floated it ? WTF is that supposed to mean when the question is please present some facts regarding his BS statement. Read the post muppett where did Mehe get the information that he is stating as fact AS OF TODAY ??? regarding track closures. Please share.

Hmm your a bit wound up mate. You need to watch the blood pressure lol

And really, the childish name calling (muppet) just sometimes narrows the real identity of BILL down to a just a few!

I've heard one of the northern tracks might be in trouble but that's it. If it's TRUE that one of the northern tracks will close. I see no future for any northern trainers.

My understanding is that Aucklands lease doesnt have long left and with the future zoning that's in place, they probably would get 10-15 more years after the current lease expires. This would leave racing up north as an uncertainty if Auckland was the sole track.

However, Cambridge struggles to fill fields most of the time whereas Auckland gets 12 races on a pretty consistent basis. If Auckland closed, the majority of the dogs up north most likely would not be able to race locally and as we know, the CD and the southern region have too many dogs as it is.

The other issue I see with closing Auckland is the fact greyhound racing in NZ loses the possibility of exposing the industry to a large proportion of NZ as Auckland has over 1/4 of the countries population (not that the club does a great job at trying to get people and businesses based in Auckland involved)

Racing has enough uncertainty around it as it is. Closing tracks just adds to that uncertainty because who would take the risk with less tracks and options to race a dog at? 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

I wouldn't rule out all greyhound tracks being closed.

COVID-19 could make the perfect excuse (to save face for many past and present) to simply close up shop.

• Cole's disrepute to the code will be headlining in the very near future.
  • GRNZ continues to have dysfunctional board, riddled with conflicts of interest.
  • The RIU has never proven to be remotely effective at policing the code.
  • The JCA has proven time and time again they are not up to their role of the judge and jury.
  • GRNZ stakeholders provide probably ten times the number of greyhounds, via breeding and importing, than can ever hope to be retired in a responsible way.

Just go outside the square and think about it a bit.

COVID-19 might just be the scape goat excuse they've been waiting for...

I would not be surprised.

It is very apparent to me in my interactions outside of the industry that many people do not have a very high opinion of racing in NZ and the vast majority of Kiwis would not care whether the industry closed tomorrow. 

If tracks started to close in NZ, I could see this as the end of the grass-root trainer for good as it will only make it more difficult than it already is for them to train greyhounds. 

I for one would want to hear what the boards thinking is behind closing another track in NZ when their are already not enough meetings to accommodate racing dogs now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jacob said:

when their are already not enough meetings to accommodate racing dogs now.

This 'belief' defies logic.

This is the theory to those with connection to the Greyhound industry, which is an extremely SMALL percentage of all New Zealanders.

The extremely LARGE percentage that don't have connection can see that far to many dogs are being breed and imported.

When a supermarket runs a special on mince they are not doing so to try to convert vegetarians into eating meat.

Edited by Yankiwi
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jacob said:

I would not be surprised.

It is very apparent to me in my interactions outside of the industry that many people do not have a very high opinion of racing in NZ and the vast majority of Kiwis would not care whether the industry closed tomorrow. 

If tracks started to close in NZ, I could see this as the end of the grass-root trainer for good as it will only make it more difficult than it already is for them to train greyhounds. 

I for one would want to hear what the boards thinking is behind closing another track in NZ when their are already not enough meetings to accommodate racing dogs now.

I agree with your first two paragraphs. The country does not care if the industry closes, why would they. Any closure would see a high percentage of small trainers possibly medium sized trainers forced out. But I don't agree with your last paragraph. Greyhound racing runs six days per week, the market is already saturated.

The problem isn't venue or frequency of racing, it is numbers bred. A few have been allowed to breed more than the combined total of all other trainers. That few take the lion's share of stakes. That few have and will force out more and more trainers. The danger in this is continuance justification. If trainer numbers drop significantly the government will not be able to justify racing's continuation. It becomes very easy for the detractors to shut it down.

Edited by Cockyaleg
  • Like 1

My 2 cents worth.

I dont see anything been closed down, gallops have more concern in that area. Cost of keeping a greyhound track to a harness or gallop track is alot less.

Yes totally agree with breeding been dominated by one or two, those kennels who will be currently feeling the pinch.

No prize money is currently been paid out, the only income been lost is by the racing board through tab operations. Betting has not ceased, in fact the ozz greys have been treating me well.

Hopefully this will wake up the amount of money plunged into wages at the racing board level and grnz which over the last few years have grown largely.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mehe said:

I see the nzgra have announced when racing starts back that they will be racing from 3 tracks 

I believe there are restrictions in place to limit travel. They have done the same thing in Australia. 

I find it ridiculous that there will be no 500m+ races in the first week back. Surely most trainers would have the facilities to maintain there dogs fitness. Seems unfair 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Jacob said:

I believe there are restrictions in place to limit travel. They have done the same thing in Australia. 

I find it ridiculous that there will be no 500m+ races in the first week back. Surely most trainers would have the facilities to maintain there dogs fitness. Seems unfair 

It wasnt too long ago they were begging out for distance dogs now we are penalised for having them. You can't put all the middle distance dogs in a sprint, it's as bad as putting sprinters in middle distance. How the hell are we going to back to racing with only 1 distance. Most trainers are also working their dogs too so they don't need to trial 100 times. It's our job if we are crap at it we won't get money let us decide what our dogs can do. 

1 hour ago, Sickof it said:

It wasnt too long ago they were begging out for distance dogs now we are penalised for having them. You can't put all the middle distance dogs in a sprint, it's as bad as putting sprinters in middle distance. How the hell are we going to back to racing with only 1 distance. Most trainers are also working their dogs too so they don't need to trial 100 times. It's our job if we are crap at it we won't get money let us decide what our dogs can do. 

Re-reading their announcement, It seems like they are planning on cutting stakes to all races as well in a time where most trainers will be struggling (Probably why they are running only sprints the first week back as a c5 sprint is only equivalent to a c2 middle distance win) . If anything, more money should be pumped into the industry, even if they have to take the prize money of group one races to accomadate.

Edited by Jacob
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jacob said:

Re-reading their announcement, It seems like they are planning on cutting stakes to all races as well in a time where most trainers will be struggling (Probably why they are running only sprints the first week back as a c5 sprint is only equivalent to a c2 middle distance win) . If anything, more money should be pumped into the industry, even if they have to take the prize money of group one races to accomadate.

I wonder if office staff are taking a pay cut, oh and havnt they have been working through this time. 

• Confused 1

I have read and re-read the GRNZ's "Path To A Resumption Of Racing".

It CLEARLY states that the first race meeting held in each zone will be a sprint only meeting. 

Four race meetings at Addington per week. ONLY the first meeting will be sprints only. There is 24 hours between the first meeting and the second, to say middle distance dogs are disadvantaged is a joke. There are three opportunities during the same week to nom non-sprinters. That silly argument does not hold water. It allows everyone to double nom for that week while adhering to nomination rules.

CD, three race meetings per week. The argument again does not fly. 
Northern, two meetings. In this instance, middle-distance runners can only nom for the second meeting that week, both meetings the following week.

I think you all have far more pressing issues to contend with.

SICK OF IT. None of this situation was created by the office staff. Yes, they have been working through, keeping everything running during the lockdown. GET A GRIP. It is likely cuts will be made across the board, that will include industry job loses.

weekly contingency racing plan.jpg

Edited by Cockyaleg

3 hours ago, Jacob said:

Top end stakes will be hit hard Jacob. Australia has all ready moved on that score. The weekend's group race prize money was halved. One feature was reduced from 3 million to 1.5 and more cuts will follow. The TAB is basically broke and that is where all stakes come from. The complication here is that the whole country will need to be propped up, not just racing. The country has to recoup billions in wage subsidies and rescue packages. Don't expect help anytime soon.

28 minutes ago, Cockyaleg said:

I have read and re-read the GRNZ's "Path To A Resumption Of Racing".

It CLEARLY states that the first race meeting held in each zone will be a sprint only meeting. 

Four race meetings at Addington per week. ONLY the first meeting will be sprints only. There is 24 hours between the first meeting and the second, to say middle distance dogs are disadvantaged is a joke. There are three opportunities during the same week to nom non-sprinters. That silly argument does not hold water. It allows everyone to double nom for that week while adhering to nomination rules.

CD, three race meetings per week. The argument again does not fly. 
Northern, two meetings. In this instance, middle-distance runners can only nom for the second meeting that week, both meetings the following week.

I think you all have far more pressing issues to contend with.

SICK OF IT. None of this situation was created by the office staff. Yes, they have been working through, keeping everything running during the lockdown. GET A GRIP. It is likely cuts will be made across the board, that will include industry job loses.

weekly contingency racing plan.jpg

Yes, It seems I did read that wrong ? Thought it was for the first week

11 minutes ago, Cockyaleg said:

Top end stakes will be hit hard Jacob. Australia has all ready moved on that score. The weekend's group race prize money was halved. One feature was reduced from 3 million to 1.5 and more cuts will follow. The TAB is basically broke and that is where all stakes come from. The complication here is that the whole country will need to be propped up, not just racing. The country has to recoup billions in wage subsidies and rescue packages. Don't expect help anytime soon.

A redistribution of stakes is a start. I would suspect the TAB would have a surplus of money put away for stakes per year. It'd be bad and dangerous financially if they did not already have money to cover the stakes being promised over the season. Also, even though punting would be down, so would their everyday costs. I'm not saying they wouldn't have been hit hard but Id doubt 4 weeks worth of no racing would send them broke. The biggest problem from their perspective would be trying to get punters back of course. With an economic crisis looming, this will be extremely difficult.

• Champ Post 1