Bit Of A Yarn

RIU - Covid-19 Employee Subsidy????

4 hours ago, Taku Umanga said:

Didn't know these guys had even opened yet?

LONE STAR ALEXANDRA PARK 32 $150,000.00 07/04/2020

Hang on, hang on, hang on... 

So if this outfit was not open this time last year, how could they be eligible for the subsidy? 

Am I thick, or just stupid? 

20200409_212032.jpg

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, curious said:

There's a provision for new businesses that don't have year old revenue figures so they have to show that revenue this year has dropped 30% from a month preceding COVID to a month following it.

Dead right, thanks for clarification... 

So it comes down to whether or not they were operating last month... as someone questioned if they were, and online advertising states "opening April". 

20200409_224046.jpg

20200409_224056.jpg

10 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

32 employees!?  $6,500 per employee.  Are you on the payroll Freda?

Ha. No.  More than any other club with the exception of Auckland, if I haven't missed something.   And I know they are not heavy on the track staff either.

Edited by Freda

19 minutes ago, Freda said:

Ha. No.  More than any other club with the exception of Auckland, if I haven't missed something.   And I know they are not heavy on the track staff either.

I was trying to figure out what they all do or are doing? I could see a case for about half that with the events, market etc. and there are evidently a few part timers in there. It appears there are salary/wage costs of about 250k directly related to race days and about $1.25m associated with the catering/function business.

30 minutes ago, curious said:

I was trying to figure out what they all do or are doing? I could see a case for about half that with the events, market etc. and there are evidently a few part timers in there. It appears there are salary/wage costs of about 250k directly related to race days and about $1.25m associated with the catering/function business.

Yes, I guess the likes of casual bar staff etc are factored in...but it seems a lot considering other clubs would have similar operating costs?  Awapuni - although it hosts other clubs - has a lot of meetings, but Ellerslie with three months virtually doing nothing wrt racing seens to have a very large contingent. 

I know the track staff numbers here are considered to be inadequate,  with some of the guys very frustrated at the difficulty of finishing one task before being rushed off to the next.  

16 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

None of these clubs or industry organisations seem to have laid anyone off.  Why is it different for them in hospitality (seems where most of them are employed) than anyone else in the same business?

Isn't the idea to avoid layoffs by providing businesses a means of retaining and paying (at least something)  staff to keep them on during the closure period) so they are there ready to go at restart?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, curious said:

Isn't the idea to avoid layoffs by providing businesses a means of retaining and paying (at least something)  staff to keep them on during the closure period) so they are there ready to go at restart?

Do you seriously think there will be any big social events this side of Christmas?

I envisage a controlled return to racing along the lines of what is happening currently in OZ.

If you look at the subsidies so far I'm amazed at the number of people these clubs have supposedly working more than 20 hours a week.  Take the CRC for example.  32 people working 20 plus hours a week is 640 hours of effort per week.

Seems a lot to me.

These clubs need to get back to their reason for being FIRST.  Otherwise they join the great unwashed hospitality business.

14 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

That's nearly $7,000 per employee.

Air NZ laying off thousands.  How many has RITA laid off?

I'm not that au fait with employment laws...but I surmise that it might be cheaper to keep staff on with subsidy than to lay off and fork out redundancy.

9 minutes ago, Freda said:

I'm not that au fait with employment laws...but I surmise that it might be cheaper to keep staff on with subsidy than to lay off and fork out redundancy.

With that reply you obviously are au fait- well done Freda. A lot of peeps cant seem to grasp the concept you raise.

Greg

Edited by JJ Flash
  • Champ Post 1