NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Drug testing

Freda

There has been a bit of criticism of late of the RIU and their efforts - highlighted by the recent positive results for ' P'  for 3 N.I  horses and one down at Riccarton.

The time taken to take action and also deal with the after-effects such as disqualification, and re-rating of the runners-up has been the source of much frustration.

Last week the 'feds' arrived at Riccarton on Wednesday morning during trackwork  [ and again on Thursday to catch those who had scarpered ] and got a nice wee catch.

Preliminary results only - with further testing to confirm -  have put a few cats among the pigeons....!

Well done RIU,  this shit is a scourge on modern society for a number of reasons,  not just for racing integrity;  keep up the good work.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

Guest CrossCodes

Would it be too far to say there seems to be a bit of a drug culture among a lot of stable workers and track riders? 

Seems to be a few more popping up on charges theses days, or are they just making a more concerted effort to catch people?

As an owner I wouldn't want someone high or on P riding my horse, even if it is only in trackwork.

29 minutes ago, CrossCodes said:

Would it be too far to say there seems to be a bit of a drug culture among a lot of stable workers and track riders? 

Seems to be a few more popping up on charges theses days, or are they just making a more concerted effort to catch people?

As an owner I wouldn't want someone high or on P riding my horse, even if it is only in trackwork.

This partiocular drug is one which seems to span all tiers of society.  I believe it is significantly represented amongst the racing fraternity to an extent at least equal to or possibly greater than average in the community (and don't be fooled into believing it's just the stablehands and track-riders folks ....)  

I agree CC - it adds a real and avoidable risk factor to an inherently risky business (incl handling, preparing & riding TBs on a track at speed).    

There are general arguments as to whether it should be treated criminally or medically (a la - poor things - they're addicted, we must help them).

Amid all the hand-wringing I am disappointed there is not more emphasis on educating people - esp our younger ones - on the risks of trying this drug even once.  It is highly addictive.  People need to understand what they are buying into when they make that first call - it's quite likely they will not be deciding what they do that one day/night - they might be signing on to become a slave to the pipe for years - and all the misery that goes with it.

The other fact is that there is not the capacity currently to "treat" all the P-addicted people if they sought or were directed to get help.

The RIU must continue their efforts.  And hopefully as well as detection they are investing in education as well.   

Education is a problem.  Most of them are contractors and so the normal employer responsibility is not quite the same.  Perhaps NZTR could do more on the education and training side.  Many were probably wagging school when the Life Education bus came round.

I understand P suppresses the appetite and increases energy levels so it would be an aid to those struggling with weight.

RIU are the enforcers of the rules it is up to NZTR to educate.  I see they have a health and welfare policy for horses.  Do they have one for track riders and stable hands?

Freda were any trainers tested?

Edited by Boxie

They might be a bit of a disparate bunch but all have (presumably) their licence issued by NZTR so I don't think that needs to be an impediment Boxie.  There is an ability to educate via that central role. 

Yep I get the obvious  "attractions" of the drug - the mistake many make is thinking they can use it to aid/control various things (their weight/energy levels/pleasure) - and thattheycan control their use of it.  But in many cases it ends up controlling them.

People become desperate to feed their addiction.  People who will do almost anything to secure the drug.  It doesn't take much imagination to understand that this too, represents another whole level of risk in the context of the racing industry and its integrity.  

1 hour ago, jess said:

This partiocular drug is one which seems to span all tiers of society.  I believe it is significantly represented amongst the racing fraternity to an extent at least equal to or possibly greater than average in the community (and don't be fooled into believing it's just the stablehands and track-riders folks ....)  

Yes as you say its spans the whole society we live in. However it appears on the face of it to be rampant in the rural community, I know Dairy Farmers have massive issues with farm workers on the stuff. The relative cheapness and easy accessibility of it makes it very easy for those on lower incomes to afford.

2 hours ago, Boxie said:

Education is a problem.  Most of them are contractors and so the normal employer responsibility is not quite the same.  Perhaps NZTR could do more on the education and training side.  Many were probably wagging school when the Life Education bus came round.

I understand P suppresses the appetite and increases energy levels so it would be an aid to those struggling with weight.

RIU are the enforcers of the rules it is up to NZTR to educate.  I see they have a health and welfare policy for horses.  Do they have one for track riders and stable hands?

Freda were any trainers tested?

Yep.

Quite some years ago testing was carried out for the first time [ that I can recall ] at Riccarton,  and the results of that,  and some north island areas as well, led the then Racecourse ' D' to quip that if all the positives were suspended or disqualified,  there would be many stables with no staff at all.

So some were not permitted to ride work,  but were able to continue with their groundwork duties.

Different ball game now I feel....and yes,  Jess, not just restricted to staff either.

Edited by Freda
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Freda said:

....  results of that,  and some north island areas as well, led the then Racecourse ' D' to quip that if all the positives were suspended or disqualified,  there would be many stables with no staff at all.

This is a very interesting point Freda.  You might assume as much testing as possible would be undertaken in an effort to have as clean & safe a sport/industry as possible.  Most people know - the more effort you put into testing/detecting/investigating - the more you will catch (in the initial stages at least, before the message/consequences hit home).

But it could also be a case of be careful what you wish for. 

I know of a Police officer who was expert at apprehending drink drivers.  Nothing sneaky or underhand - all standard stuff - just dedicated to road safety and seemed to have a real knack for catching them.  I thought the officer's bosses would be delighted - but in fact there was some talk the officer, by prosecuting all these drivers, was making the campaign to reduce drink driving look ineffective. Soon after the officer was moved to other duties.  

So I am left wondering as far as drugs in racing - just how effective do they want to be in detecting drug use by the participants - and could they handle the outcome if they went hard-out?? 

J. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jess said:

This is a very interesting point Freda.  You might assume as much testing as possible would be undertaken in an effort to have as clean & safe a sport/industry as possible.  Most people know - the more effort you put into testing/detecting/investigating - the more you will catch (in the initial stages at least, before the message/consequences hit home).

But it could also be a case of be careful what you wish for. 

So I am left wondering as far as drugs in racing - just how effective do they want to be in detecting drug use by the participants - and could they handle the outcome if they went hard-out?? 

J. 

Going on hearsay - probably not.

Edited by Freda

On 27/05/2018 at 7:49 AM, Freda said:

There has been a bit of criticism of late of the RIU and their efforts - highlighted by the recent positive results for ' P'  for 3 N.I  horses and one down at Riccarton.

The time taken to take action and also deal with the after-effects such as disqualification, and re-rating of the runners-up has been the source of much frustration.

Last week the 'feds' arrived at Riccarton on Wednesday morning during trackwork  [ and again on Thursday to catch those who had scarpered ] and got a nice wee catch.

Preliminary results only - with further testing to confirm -  have put a few cats among the pigeons....!

Well done RIU,  this shit is a scourge on modern society for a number of reasons,  not just for racing integrity;  keep up the good work.

Too true Freda...

Maybe the hopeless RIU have turned over a new leaf??

Remembering RUAKAKA stable staff were tested for the first time EVER...

...when the ex employer went rogue and potted the stable...so to speak..

...the first batch of drug tests returned 2 on Meth and one on da green...a big Get when Meth is out of the system within 2-3 days with a normal test...

...and why Lisa Cropp...the most tested Jock ever...kept returning negatives..if only they'd done a hair test..which shows 3-4 months of drug use

...Donna was going into partnership before the Kaka testing..nek minute...dropped her NZ license and buggered off to Singers Hollus Bollus

A societal drug culture may just do that to you though...

yeah...well,  the follow-on to the latest testing at Ricc is that the two 'suspicious'  tests for meth came back clear after subsequent analysis,  don't know about the other stuff though.

Hopefully one young fella will accept the lifeline he has been given and sort his shit out...not so hopeful about the other.

As you say,  hair tests would eliminate some if not all of the doubt you would think.

A bit of levity in a situation not so funny...a local lass,  well known for her 'medicinal' smoking,  threw her hands in the air and said, " bugger it,  I'm gone,  don't waste your time.  I'll sign the forms now...''      no,  we want a sample,  she was told....to find a clear result..!   She's been turning handstands since!

Haha...oh yea that fake stuff can do wonders for the mind...

Went to a rave with the local yocals once...you know the tie dye set in the 70's

...took some great mind altering substance at a 'RollingStone' set ...behaved like a lunatic...only to be told I was a crash test dummy and it's all in your stupid head

...go the placebo parties I say

2 hours ago, Thomass said:

Too true Freda...

...the first batch of drug tests returned 2 on Meth and one on da green...a big Get when Meth is out of the system within 2-3 days with a normal test...

...and why Lisa Cropp...the most tested Jock ever...kept returning negatives..if only they'd done a hair test..which shows 3-4 months of drug use

...Donna was going into partnership before the Kaka testing..nek minute...dropped her NZ license and buggered off to Singers Hollus Bollus

CD57D5F8-88D6-4896-BEBE-867A8D5A853C.jpeg

22 hours ago, Thomass said:

Too true Freda...

Slip Slop  ( cockney rhyme for Cropp )  was evading them by using a concoction  involving grapefruit that's renowned for beating tests.