Bit Of A Yarn

Deja vu: Awapuni Polytrack - David Jewell

Wow that would be a turn up. When The Racing Board had to provide a guarantee to the BNZ for Race to the tune of  about $12M, the Racing Board ordered a one man inquiry. From memory the inquiry findings were not made public but Jewell was moved on and then turned up working for NZTR.

I had dealings with him and he lived down the road from me. He appeared to have a good knowledge regarding racing but as you would expect virtually no knowledge regarding property development. 

One incident where he  gave me a good laugh was at the AGM of the Wellington Racing Club which was held at The Duxton Hotel, one of Wellington's best. 

All these oldies turned up mainly for the piss up after but at the end of the meeting David Jewell declared that  due the the Club's sorry financial position no grog or food would be served only cups of tea. Well the oldies were gone in no time.

• Like 1

And Editor of Bloodhorse which may have gone under before being resurrected?

Not sure he should be advising anyone on tracks - spent quite a bit doing up Awapuni back in the day but it only lasted a year or so because lack of proper maintenance.

I think there were more to blame for the land development debacle eg Sargent and co but they all disappeared.

28 minutes ago, Mark D said:

And Editor of Bloodhorse which may have gone under before being resurrected?

Bloodhorse? Or was it Racing & Breeding magazine in the 80s?

May have resurfaced as Bloodhorse?

Edited by curious

14 minutes ago, Freda said:

Poor guy...wonder if his ears are burning......

Nice bloke actually. Always got on well with him. Worked with him a bit when he was at Blandford and again at NZTR. He's done well at Wyong. The new RB could do worse I'd say and it doesn't seem clear what he is going to do. The RITA CEO position closed in February but I haven't heard a dickey bird so was just wondering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, curious said:

Nice bloke actually. Always got on well with him. Worked with him a bit when he was at Blandford and again at NZTR. He's done well at Wyong. The new RB could do worse I'd say and it doesn't seem clear what he is going to do. The RITA CEO position closed in February but I haven't heard a dickey bird so was just wondering.

They don't need a nice guy, they need a leader. He couldn't be any worse than the last 3-4 of them which isn't saying much.

• Like 1

The RITA CEO position choices.

Righto, lets take a closer look at that.

Jewell versus V'Landys. We couldn't persuade the latter to come, even with a million dollar salary, a thousand virgins and a Knighthood so no go there.

Jewell versus Cameron George. He's a show pony and desperate to get a gig with an Oz NRL club, so forget him.

Jewell versus ………..anyone. Has anyone of note put their hand up to lead our dung heap of plonkers out of the mire and into the sunlight?

For farks sake, if David Jewell is the man they think can resurrect this truckload of trannies, we are well and truly stuffed. Nice guy. Fark being a nice guy. I'm a farking super nice guy but that doesn't mean I have the expertise to do the job that MUST BE DONE TO GET NZ RACING AND THE PISS POOR PERFORMING TAB BACK WORKING AGAIN.

Messara was right. We deserve what we have.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KickintheKods said:

The RITA CEO position choices.

Righto, lets take a closer look at that.

Jewell versus V'Landys. We couldn't persuade the latter to come, even with a million dollar salary, a thousand virgins and a Knighthood so no go there.

Jewell versus Cameron George. He's a show pony and desperate to get a gig with an Oz NRL club, so forget him.

Jewell versus ………..anyone. Has anyone of note put their hand up to lead our dung heap of plonkers out of the mire and into the sunlight?

For farks sake, if David Jewell is the man they think can resurrect this truckload of trannies, we are well and truly stuffed. Nice guy. Fark being a nice guy. I'm a farking super nice guy but that doesn't mean I have the expertise to do the job that MUST BE DONE TO GET NZ RACING AND THE PISS POOR PERFORMING TAB BACK WORKING AGAIN.

Messara was right. We deserve what we have.

Doesn't matter for short term , Mckenzie and rest of board extended thru till 30th June 2021. Happy times . 

33 minutes ago, curious said:

That's the board. Not the CEO if I'm reading correctly. It will be up to the board to decide on the CEO won't it?

Last sentence " says the directors have extensive racing knowledge and experience " , then lists them starting with Mckenzie . I'd assume they would stick with Mckenzie as CEO .