Bit Of A Yarn

Jack Carmichael RIP

Happy Sunrise

I see it is reported on HRNZ of his passing. He was 94 so that would explain why I thought he was old 30 years ago lol.

I probably never saw him at his peak with horses but whenever he lined one up or drove it you always had to respect it.

His trotters of the era when I watched of Jenner and Yankee Loch always ran well. I used to consider Game Paul a favourite of mine as I remember it coming up from the south and then racing for him. Always liked the southerners coming up in those days as it was not as common in those days.

Another legendary name to pass.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I see it is reported on HRNZ of his passing. He was 94 so that would explain why I thought he was old 30 years ago lol.

I probably never saw him at his peak with horses but whenever he lined one up or drove it you always had to respect it.

His trotters of the era when I watched of Jenner and Yankee Loch always ran well. I used to consider Game Paul a favourite of mine as I remember it coming up from the south and then racing for him. Always liked the southerners coming up in those days as it was not as common in those days.

I wondered whether Jack Carmichael was still alive, as I hadn’t heard anything about him for a helluva long time.

His nickname was “Hoagy” who I beleive was a famous singer a long time ago!

Hoagy was an exceptional driver in his time which was when Maurice Holmes was the top driver.

One of the best horses that he drove and may have trained was Jacquinot Bay!

RIP Jack Carmichael you were a legend.

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Time flys...your right,  jack carmichael  seemed old when i was young too....Jenner was a great trotter, I think john Langdon trained him in the north, you knew it was a good race when you had Jenner, cal brydon, stormy morn and thriller dee in a trot up north. 

Rip jack Carmichael.

2 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Time flys...your right,  jack carmichael  seemed old when i was young too....Jenner was a great trotter, I think john Langdon trained him in the north, you knew it was a good race when you had Jenner, cal brydon, stormy morn and thriller dee in a trot up north. 

Rip jack Carmichael.

Correction, it was Charlie hunter that trained him in the north

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

I wondered whether Jack Carmichael was still alive, as I hadn’t heard anything about him for a helluva long time.

His nickname was “Hoagy” who I beleive was a famous singer a long time ago!

Hoagy was an exceptional driver in his time which was when Maurice Holmes was the top driver.

One of the best horses that he drove and may have trained was Jacquinot Bay!

RIP Jack Carmichael you were a legend.

Hi Brodie,

I think Jacquinot Bay was trained by S.M.Miller, and I do not recall Jack ever driving him.

Cheers.

Robert.

2 hours ago, Newmarket said:

but he did with globe bay many years ago.

Yep he did. And yours truly backed him , as I did with many Globederby line horses. 

And Hutt Park was a happy hunting ground for many of those horses mentioned above, back in the late sixty's and early seventy's.

2 hours ago, mumbles said:

Chequer Board was my favourite that he drove.Pretty good horses in that era.

Could be wrong but Great Adios,Allakasam,Manawaru were horses racing at the same time.

Yes they were Mumbles.

Think Great Adios was before Allakasam and Manawatu and the third one that was bracketed with them  was “the ugly duckling”  Manaroa, trained by Alan Harrison I beleive and they were often driven by Felix Newfield, who certainly wouldn’t get away with what he did when it can to the whip, held in the left hand!

2 hours ago, Double R said:

Hi Brodie,

I think Jacquinot Bay was trained by S.M.Miller, and I do not recall Jack ever driving him.

Cheers.

Robert.

Hi Robert, you could well be right now that you say that!

Probably got mixed up with Globe Bay!

Jack Carmichael certainly was one of the best back then.

It was surprising that he didn’t seem to continue to train much after retiring from driving, probably when he was about 65?

5 hours ago, Ashoka said:

Precocious...his best trotter?

A legend in his own lifetime. Sad to hear of his passing.

Regards.

Ashoka

Yep. right again. At the 1973 Inters in Sydney at Harold Park, which I watched every night from the grandstand, I backed her in the Trotters Final. Off of 48 yd handicap and won. 

Very good square gaiter. He was the Phil Williamson of his time.

• Like 1