Bit Of A Yarn

Warning on "Winsurance" bets

Rusty

Just a quick heads up for all the good folk on here. I have been caught out, and I don't want you lot falling into the same trap.

For some unknown reason, I backed a horse with the NZ TAB, trying out their "winsurance" bet. Nothing new. Aussie corporates have had it for years. 

The bet was placed on Thursday afternoon, for the Sunday (today's Addington) meeting. 

Snapped up pretty good odds, I think the horse was 4th favourite or something and I was looking forward to the race.

Until, pre-race I realised that the bet had been REFUNDED, as there had been one horse scratched in the race. Note, there wasn't a deduction (in my horse's odds), but a full refund for the bet. 

I could cop a deduction, I get that, I understand that, and it is there in black and white under the terms and conditions, "deductions may apply". But a full refund, because another horse was scratched, is that fair? 

11 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Just a quick heads up for all the good folk on here. I have been caught out, and I don't want you lot falling into the same trap.

For some unknown reason, I backed a horse with the NZ TAB, trying out their "winsurance" bet. Nothing new. Aussie corporates have had it for years. 

The bet was placed on Thursday afternoon, for the Sunday (today's Addington) meeting. 

Snapped up pretty good odds, I think the horse was 4th favourite or something and I was looking forward to the race.

Until, pre-race I realised that the bet had been REFUNDED, as there had been one horse scratched in the race. Note, there wasn't a deduction (in my horse's odds), but a full refund for the bet. 

I could cop a deduction, I get that, I understand that, and it is there in black and white under the terms and conditions, "deductions may apply". But a full refund, because another horse was scratched, is that fair? 

Rusty, how are you able to get a fixed odds bet on for a Sunday meeting, on a Thursday?

They normally dont Come out until the Saturday afternoon as far as I have been aware?

Are they now out earlier due to this Winsurance thing?

?

Just now, Brodie said:

Rusty, how are you able to get a fixed odds bet on for a Sunday meeting, on a Thursday?

They normally dont Come out until the Saturday afternoon as far as I have been aware?

Are they now out earlier due to this Winsurance thing?

?

race 6 was out on thursday

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

Risk management Rusty. Dont waste your time with NZ TAB FOB. 

2 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

but you knew so

PS: when is your birthday ?

Lol, every day on top of the earth is my birthday!

Don’t worry About a present though, as I have hot just about everything I need, unless you have some say at the NZ TAB?

1 minute ago, Brodie said:

Lol, every day on top of the earth is my birthday!

Don’t worry About a present though, as I have hot just about everything I need, unless you have some say at the NZ TAB?

i have no clout anywhere

i already have the present

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, globederby12 said:

Risk management Rusty. Dont waste your time with NZ TAB FOB. 

I tend to agree mate. And usually I wouldn't waste my time. Not when I usually go through the Aussie corporates. 

But at Thursday lunch time, Love N The Port was $11's for the win, and $6's with money back 2nd, or 3rd so I just had to have a dabble.

5 hours ago, Brodie said:

Yeah mate, I was surprised. Did a double take. But they were out for this race at lunch time Thursday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

Yeah mate, I was surprised. Did a double take. But they were out for this race at lunch time Thursday. 

Would be good if they would bring them out early on every race earlier than they do.

Turnover would be far better for them as well.

Believe that when they do bring them out, they should reduce their margin to encourage punters to offload earlier!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rusty said:

I tend to agree mate. And usually I wouldn't waste my time. Not when I usually go through the Aussie corporates. 

But at Thursday lunch time, Love N The Port was $11's for the win, and $6's with money back 2nd, or 3rd so I just had to have a dabble.

I actually backed the horse that beat it Rusty. I couldn't believe the odds, 13,s after its first up win and then bobbling at the start and coming home nicely for third at its nxt. They are both talented trotters.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Rusty said:

On 12/07/2020 at 2:36 PM, Rusty said:

Not fair I would say. Maybe their liability on the horse was going to be through the roof so they had to pull a fast one and use any excuse they could. 

A full refund is bollocks.

• Like 1

So in other words, they stuffed up setting the odds for this horse, so they refunded all bets placed on the horse at their "substantially wrong" odds. 

It was $6's with money back if it ran 2nd or 3rd, and my bet was literally loose change. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

So in other words, they stuffed up setting the odds for this horse, so they refunded all bets placed on the horse at their "substantially wrong" odds. 

It was $6's with money back if it ran 2nd or 3rd, and my bet was literally loose change. 

I thought this new fandangled system auto set the odds.  

I have had bets cancelled as well after they have been accepted by the NZ TAB!

You put the bet on in good faith and they accept it!

This would be a contract in normal terms with offer and acceptance, however the NZ TAB have it in their rules that they have the right to cancel any bet they want to, however punters  dont have the same luxury or rights!,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

This would be a contract in normal terms with offer and acceptance, however the NZ TAB have it in their rules that they have the right to cancel any bet they want to, however punters  dont have the same luxury or rights!,

3 hours ago, Rusty said:

Certainly is in their rules.

I don't like it but I suppose there is room for error. The horse opening at 11s and coming into 5s is not a substantial error compared to what it could be though. Plus, the TAB would slash its odds once it got backed in the first few minutes anyway. 

They can have their 'winsurance' with any bet they want it seems by cancelling anything they deem to be wrong but am I a fool for believing this? Open to abuse for sure.

• Like 1

You are 100% dead right Happy. 

I won't take another "winsurance" bet ever again. What is the point, if the NZ TAB can cancel the bet pre-race, and state, sorry there has been an error, and here is your refund? Oh by the way, you can still have a bet on this race, but the odds have been slashed. 

Nope, forget it. I'll stick to Neds and Ladbrokes. 

P.S the NZ TAB's liability for my bet was $13. As in thirteen dollars!!! 

• Like 2