Bit Of A Yarn

NZ Cup Odds

Happy Sunrise

But Ultimate Sniper is unlikely to start

Inter Dominion hero Ultimate Sniper has started the long road back to the track but don’t expect him to turn up in our greatest race.

Because champion trainer Mark Purdon says while it is not impossible, the New Zealand Cup isn’t the aim for the Horse of the Year in waiting.

36 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

And Turn It Up.

Turn It Up, who is in Queensland and must be unlikely to return if he even ends up racing again,

So, is Self Assured a good bet at 1.90?

Personally think that is just an absolute joke that the TAB opens up a book on horses that have not even had their trainers nominate the horse for a race that is Well lver 3 months away!

Wouldnt think there would be anyone back Self Assured at $1.90 To win a race over 3200m from a stand.

Seriously stupid as even if it did start, it would be paying more than that on Cup Day!!!

They wouldnt let some punters on for much anyway!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

But Ultimate Sniper is unlikely to start

Inter Dominion hero Ultimate Sniper has started the long road back to the track but don’t expect him to turn up in our greatest race.

Because champion trainer Mark Purdon says while it is not impossible, the New Zealand Cup isn’t the aim for the Horse of the Year in waiting.

Did he not mention the fact he hasn't got enough drivers anyway😂

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

He will train the winner so it doesn't matter who is driving his horses. He could get all the amateur drivers on his horses and he would still win.

Now there is a thought, Happy

Would make the NZ Cup a lot more exciting, all the AllStars horses being driven by amateurs.
Would make it a helluva lot fairer, cos at this stage they may as well hand over the cheque and Cup!

On 6/08/2020 at 9:34 AM, JJ Flash said:

envy

No idea how you see it as envy. 

I am saying the race is non-competitive to the point of being boring. Even if the likes of Copy That start in the race, the odds of it beating at least half a dozen All Star horses will take a miracle with their ability to the control the race.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I am saying the race is non-competitive to the point of being boring. Even if the likes of Copy That start in the race, the odds of it beating at least half a dozen All Star horses will take a miracle with their ability to the control the race.

Simply because you and most others on here show complete disdain for the excellence  of the AS  stable.

FFS its NZ's feature  Grp 1 race to be run in 4 months time and your predicting a boring race already.

Whilst your completely within your rights  to voice an opinion so am i and i plainly disagree with you on this matter

Greg

Edited by JJ Flash
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

Simply because you and most others on here show complete disdain for the excellence  of the AS  stable.

FFS its NZ's feature  Grp 1 race to be run in 4 months time and your predicting a boring race already.

Whilst your completely within your rights  to voice an opinion so am i and i plainly disagree with you on this matter

Greg

JJ can you please just try and read what he said without automatically assuming he has distain or envy against the All Stars.

That is not Happys M.O on anybody including the A.S,   He is simply talking as a punter!!!!   We all look forward to the great race, and the greatest races are the ones where there is great competition between horses and stables,

In comparison to years ago, this race is dominated by one stable and I agree not the A.S problem,    but he is simply saying it has been robbed of interest from an entertainment perspective when the inevitable team driving will come to the fore on top of them having the first 6 favs.

So we can predict an A.S first 3 finish already,   just which order?    Thats not trying to vilify them or being envious, just an acknowledgement that lack of competition translates to lack of interest, therefore general lack of punting interest overall which leads to the continual downfall of the sport in all areas.

Turnover may be ok for that day, but it is the declining interest of the long term punter and `The Brodster` that is of the greatest, and should be the most immediate concern for the sport.

There is no A.S witch hunt here so put your dick away!

Please read what the poster is actually saying!!!!!!  before you leap into defence mode.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

19 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I don't really follow the logic of this Happy. Non-competitive between stables, perhaps. But it's no less competitive between horses just because most of the contenders are in one stable. Indeed, it's probably more competitive because said contenders have had a similar (high) level of preparation.

Or do you have some info on who the pre-ordained winner is?  if so, please share! (can't remember the last time I cleaned up on a cup winner...)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Basil said:

I don't really follow the logic of this Happy. Non-competitive between stables, perhaps. But it's no less competitive between horses just because most of the contenders are in one stable. Indeed, it's probably more competitive because said contenders have had a similar (high) level of preparation.

Or do you have some info on who the pre-ordained winner is?  if so, please share! (can't remember the last time I cleaned up on a cup winner...)

If you are so naive that this has to be explained to you then as H.T.P would say:  save your two bucks!

• Haha 1

The Cup has lost a lot of its appeal for most punters nowadays as they are over the domination of the one stable.

Yes there will be a huge crowd cup day for the social element, and the club will do a amazingly well Out of the sale of the grossly overpriced packages, but people pay it so that is all good.

Reality is that you dont see this crowd for another year and harness needs to retain a portion of these newcomers but they dont!

The crowds that go to Addington nowadays is pathetically small, and they are going to remove the ticket sellers, so they will dwindle further after that!

What I can guarantee is that harness will continue to suffer if the factors in play are not overturned, and decisions being made are not given more thought,

Personally just can not be bothered going on course at the moment as there is absolutely no reason to.

The atmosphere is just not there anymore as people choose to vote with their feet!

3 hours ago, Brodie said:

The Cup has lost a lot of its appeal for most punters nowadays as they are over the domination of the one stable.

Yes there will be a huge crowd cup day for the social element, and the club will do a amazingly well Out of the sale of the grossly overpriced packages, but people pay it so that is all good.

Reality is that you dont see this crowd for another year and harness needs to retain a portion of these newcomers but they dont!

The crowds that go to Addington nowadays is pathetically small, and they are going to remove the ticket sellers, so they will dwindle further after that!

What I can guarantee is that harness will continue to suffer if the factors in play are not overturned, and decisions being made are not given more thought,

Personally just can not be bothered going on course at the moment as there is absolutely no reason to.

The atmosphere is just not there anymore as people choose to vote with their feet!

People are still interested but tv has in many ways stuffed people going on course and saturation numbers of races we have access too.....the days are over where a Soutland trainer who has the horse of a lifetime that's good enough to race and in some cases win the cup seem dead,the domination of one stable is not entirely good for harness racing,changing times indeed.

• Like 2

It's not only the races,mitre 10 cup crowds are generally piss poor except in rural areas who are winning(Tasman) and cricket,only time crowds turnup is when Black Caps are playing limited over,you over do a product,sometimes more ain't always best. I hear on radio today some people are disappointed there is no final in super comp but in reality why bother,Crusaders if they win tommorow win comp,no need for final because the result is just the same,some just want to bleed just a bit more out of the public.

Edited by mikeynz

1 hour ago, mikeynz said:

the days are over where a Soutland trainer who has the horse of a lifetime that's good enough to race and in some cases win the cup seem dead

Oreti Beach is in Southland. 

Kirstin Barclay & Tank Ellis have a very special horse. 

12 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

You operate on a different level to most people. If you interpret it as disdain and envy you do so.

If you look at my third post, I ask if Self Assured was a good bet a 1.90. Why don't you ask that instead of seeing things I am not saying.

Then for some unknown reason you liked a post of him, then changed your tune to envy after I said about opening a book of All Stars versus the rest. Have a look at the odds of the market! The All Stars dominant, it is nearly a given they will win the race again this year. I asked on another thread if Copy That was the only threat but no one really replied to that.

11 hours ago, Basil said:

Non-competitive between stables

This is what I am saying. I won't apologize for not finding 3 year old and open class domination by the All Stars uninteresting. I have often said on BOAY I admire the standard of excellence by the All Stars (some just choose to not remember things or are thick) but I don't find it appealing to watch and I believe it is detrimental to the interests of the game.