Bit Of A Yarn

My Field Marshall -Wow

Newmarket

Interesting to watch that race and to think about our good up and coming horses departing to Australia to race (which is nothing new but more common now) and some of our best going to the USA. I wonder if we have to accept more than ever that Harness Racing in NZ is more part of an international set up and we can't hope for strong NZ or Auckland or Easter Cups. Imagine if all those horses were still in NZ -  What a cup it would be.

Maybe we have to accept the new reality harness racing lives in.

Food for thought. 

• Like 1

It  was a good run by My Field Marshall, but wouldn’t think he would be much cop the NZ CUp over 3200m.

He isn’t racing great horses at the moment I would say!

There were several ex NZ horses that are over the hill.

Freyberg has been going around for years and Expressionist was a battling horse I think in claimers when he left here!

Benecio was with the AllStars and could run a bit but wouldn’t consider him that flash nowadays.

Repeat after Me was with Barnes down south I think and a reasonable horse but not top class!

The Thing is that any horse can run a mile so form does not stack up that well at a  Menangle over the mile, it is a bit of a raffle most of the time, and luck in the running.

Why do clubs want to run racing over a mile?

25 minutes ago, Brodie said:

It  was a good run by My Field Marshall, but wouldn’t think he would be much cop the NZ CUp over 3200m.

He isn’t racing great horses at the moment I would say!

There were several ex NZ horses that are over the hill.

Freyberg has been going around for years and Expressionist was a battling horse I think in claimers when he left here!

Benecio was with the AllStars and could run a bit but wouldn’t consider him that flash nowadays.

Repeat after Me was with Barnes down south I think and a reasonable horse but not top class!

The Thing is that any horse can run a mile so form does not stack up that well at a  Menangle over the mile, it is a bit of a raffle most of the time, and luck in the running.

Why do clubs want to run racing over a mile?

Disagree, some would say it was a great staying effort after burning early. Never gave it a way, and nz cup field won’t be strongest. 

I would be surprised if he doesn’t line up. This thread will be interesting to look back at in a few months. 

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

Disagree, some would say it was a great staying effort after burning early. Never gave it a way, and nz cup field won’t be strongest. 

I would be surprised if he doesn’t line up. This thread will be interesting to look back at in a few months. 

Standing start for My Field Marshall will be interesting!

Get on early Newmarket on My Field Marshall!

I will take anything you want to offload on it.

What Odds do you want?

I reiterate My Field Marshallis racing nothing at the moment and wouldn’t have a dogs show of winning the Cup.

Horses racing in Oz over a mile willl generally not measure up to horses racing in NZ!

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Standing start for My Field Marshall will be interesting!

Get on early Newmarket on My Field Marshall!

I will take anything you want to offload on it.

What Odds do you want?

I reiterate My Field Marshallis racing nothing at the moment and wouldn’t have a dogs show of winning the Cup.

Horses racing in Oz over a mile willl generally not measure up to horses racing in NZ!

Tell that to the owner and trainer of Shes All Rocks. Really Brods ???

• Like 1

10 hours ago, globederby12 said:

Tell that to the owner and trainer of Shes All Rocks. Really Brods ???

Globe, I wasn’t aware that The AllStars were going to be taking over the training of My Field Marshall?

If they were training it then it then it would have a great show!

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Globe, I wasn’t aware that The AllStars were going to be taking over the training of My Field Marshall?

If they were training it then it then it would have a great show!

???! Your all over the place, it went 1-46.9 to win miracle mile, you think Purdons can improve it? 

You need to go back to basics, look at all the great stayers that have won the race, a good horse races well over all distances

Guest CrossCodes

You actually have to be a good stayer to win those mile races at Menangle, to sustain those sectionals that they often run there takes a lot of stamina, just because the distance is run over a mile it doesn't mean all those horses are just sprinters. 

2 hours ago, Newmarket said:

???! Your all over the place, it went 1-46.9 to win miracle mile, you think Purdons can improve it? 

You need to go back to basics, look at all the great stayers that have won the race, a good horse races well over all distances

Of course the Allstars would improve it!!!

they improved Titan Banner and Eamonn MaGuire etc and they were pretty good.

Field Marshall got beaten by a horse that came from behind it.

Time will tell if they decide to come or not

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

Looked at the results for the Menangle meeting last Saturday night, that My Field Marshall ran second after being in front!

I note that the winning time of his race was the slowest for the whole night over the mile!

Yes, My Field Marshall burnt Out of the gate, but then had 2 pathetically slow 1/4,s which would’ve given him plenty of time to recover before sprinting home quickly.

You would have to have serious reservations that he would be capable of winning the NZ Cup over 3200m from a stand on that run wouldn’t you?

Most horses would be able to run the time that MFM went last Saturday night I would think if they were trained to run miles on that Menangle track!!

8 hours ago, CrossCodes said:

You actually have to be a good stayer to win those mile races at Menangle, to sustain those sectionals that they often run there takes a lot of stamina, just because the distance is run over a mile it doesn't mean all those horses are just sprinters. 

Correct

So what you are saying is that anything that wins at Menangle over a mile would also be a good stayer?

Wouldnt agree with that at all.

We all know that there are horses who are good sprinters and not stayers!

It is a fallacy that saying that you have to be a good stayer to win a mile at Menangle.

There are heaps of horses that win many races at Menangle over the mile and when they step up to the 2300m they are no good.

It is like saying that a marathon runner would make a good 100 metre sprinter!!!!

Rubbish!

Looking at previous miracle mile winners, most were know for over longer distances, and many also won nz cup, or performed well in it. 

Smoken up, monkey king, be good Johnny, sokyola, double identity, Holmes dg, Christian cull, our sir vanc, Iraklis, Chokin, weatburn Grant, village kid, master mood etc

Guest CrossCodes

A 'sprinter' is a horse that is known for only being capable of running a quick quarter, or even half. 

You have to be a very good stayer to be able to run quarters of between 26-29 seconds for a whole race which they do every week at Menangle, and often even quicker than that.

Sorry Brodie, you definitely are not 'on the money' this time ??

Edited by CrossCodes