Bit Of A Yarn

My Field Marshall -Wow

Newmarket

28 minutes ago, CrossCodes said:

A 'sprinter' is a horse that is known for only being capable of running a quick quarter, or even half. 

You have to be a very good stayer to be able to run quarters of between 26-29 seconds for a whole race which they do every week at Menangle, and often even quicker than that.

Sorry Brodie, you definitely are not 'on the money' this time ??

On balance, I agree with Brodie on this one. Winning a fast mile at Menangle certainly requires some degree of staying ability, but it's a very different kind of staying ability to that required to win a fast 2 miles on Cup Day at Addington. Top horses are invariably good at both, but very few are equally adept at both. Lazarus and Black's A Fake would be good recent examples of those who excelled more at the longest distances, while Smoken Up and Christen Me probably had a slight preference for the shorter trips.

In the specific case of Field Marshall, everything he's done to date would suggest he's more in the SU-CM camp than the  L-BAF one.  In a weak year, with the right run, he could win a NZ Cup. But if he struck horses like Lazarus and Smolda, he'd struggle.   

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Brodie said:

So what you are saying is that anything that wins at Menangle over a mile would also be a good stayer?

Wouldnt agree with that at all.

We all know that there are horses who are good sprinters and not stayers!

It is a fallacy that saying that you have to be a good stayer to win a mile at Menangle.

There are heaps of horses that win many races at Menangle over the mile and when they step up to the 2300m they are no good.

It is like saying that a marathon runner would make a good 100 metre sprinter!!!!

Rubbish!

Just out of curiosity, name just a few open class horses that have excelled over a mile at Menangle, but failed over 2300m?

So what you are saying is that anything that wins at Menangle over a mile would also be a good stayer?

It is a fallacy that saying that you have to be a good stayer to win a mile at Menangle.

There are heaps of horses that win many races at Menangle over the mile and when they step up to the 2300m they are no good.

It is like saying that a marathon runner would make a good 100 metre sprinter!!!!

Rubbish!

Just out of curiosity, name just a few open class horses that have excelled over a mile at Menangle, but failed over 2300m?

Rubbish!

Rubbish!

4 hours ago, CrossCodes said:

A 'sprinter' is a horse that is known for only being capable of running a quick quarter, or even half. 

You have to be a very good stayer to be able to run quarters of between 26-29 seconds for a whole race which they do every week at Menangle, and often even quicker than that.

My Field Marshall didn’t run 4 fast quarters at all, Cross Codes.

He ran fast fist and last quarters but the middle half was pathetically slow!!!!!

Brodie is on the money as per normal!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Most horses that win at Menangle over the mile rate at least 1.52 .

Dont Waste my time with Ozzie harness anymore  As I cant get money on thru Ozzie betting Agencies so I haven’t been following for awhile.

What I do know is that you only need to go thru the form and you will see many with plenty of mile wins but not over the 2300m just like Addington racing where some horses just start over 1950m and rarely over 2600m because the trainer knows that they are a better sprinter.

Edited by Brodie
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CrossCodes said:

A “sprinter”:is not a horsethat is known for only being capable of running a quick quarter or half at all!!!

A “sprinter” is a horse more known for running better at the shorter distances rather than middle or long distance races!!!!!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Brodie said:

A “sprinter”:is not a horsethat is known for only being capable of running a quick quarter or half at all!!!

A “sprinter” is a horse more known for running better at the shorter distances rather than middle or long distance races!!!!!

When does a sprint distance end? 1609, 1950, 2000, 2200, 2300?

What is the definition of middle distance? long distance?

Is a middle distance runner more suited to sprints or longer distance races?

Brodie, After all of your analysis of horses can you identify horses in these 3 brackets?

Just interested. 

I can sometimes lean towards a horse over 3000m at Methven on a dead track or a 2000 stand but don't study them deep enough to get past a feeling that a horse may enjoy a certain distance. In saying that I am glad a horse I like at Nelson is starting at a longer distance than 1950 ?

12 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Brodie, After all of your analysis of horses can you identify horses in these 3 brackets?

Just interested. 

I can sometimes lean towards a horse over 3000m at Methven on a dead track or a 2000 stand but don't study them deep enough to get past a feeling that a horse may enjoy a certain distance. In saying that I am glad a horse I like at Nelson is starting at a longer distance than 1950 ?

I would say a sprint distance probably ends at say 2000m anything more than that a middle distance.

middle distance anything more than 2000 up to probably 2600

Anything more is a longer distance.

Some horses just like sprints but can go further depending on the speed of the longer races.

With the aid of videos it wasn’t hard to make good money on harness racing.

However nowadays the TAB offer under value odds and limit punters from what they can invest, so has been made difficult to make serious money now.

I haven’t bothered to have a investment for approx. 4 weeks but was in OZ for 2 of those weeks.

Didnt bother over there either as you can get less on over there now because they supposedly scared of money laundering LOL.

Reality is that the TAB is under serious pressure at the moment to make sufficient money from NZ racing so that is why they have bought into that expensive new betting platform.

This enables NZ punters to bet on the weight of Jacinda Arderns baby or 2 flies racing up a wall at Beaudesert and it costs them nothing to do this.

Betting other than racing is where the NZ TAB sees its future profit lines!

Edited by Brodie

18 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Just interested. 

Pretty sure 2200 at Alex park is still considered a sprint.....

3 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Some horses just like sprints but can go further depending on the speed of the longer races.

Field Marshall has run some very fast times over 2600 and 2700 in the past so I think it could run 2 miles ok. I would concede though a NZ Cup over 2 miles would be a shock to the system if one had been on a steady diet of mile racing

7 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Didnt bother over there either as you can get less on over there now because they supposedly scared of mo eye laundering LOL.

Couldn't you just go into an agency in Australia and drop 2000 on a horse just like that?

9 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Get them addicted to betting with a lazy 10 on the Royal Wedding and then they will need a racing bet every day to get their fix.

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Most horses that win at Menangle over the mile rate at least 1.52 .

Dont Waste my time with Ozzie harness anymore  As I cant get money on thru Ozzie betting Agencies so I haven’t been following for awhile.

What I do know is that you only need to go thru the form and you will see many with plenty of mile wins but not over the 2300m just like Addington racing where some horses just start over 1950m and rarely over 2600m because the trainer knows that they are a better sprinter.

Well, as per normal you can’t back up your normal bullshit. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brodie said:

I would say a sprint distance probably ends at say 2000m anything more than that a middle distance.

middle distance anything more than 2000 up to probably 2600

Anything more is a longer distance.

With the aid of videos it wasn’t hard to make good money on harness racing.

However nowadays the TAB offer under value odds and limit punters from what they can invest, so has been made difficult to make serious money now.

I haven’t bothered to have a investment for approx. 4 weeks but was in OZ for 2 of those weeks.

Didnt bother over there either as you can get less on over there now because they supposedly scared of money laundering LOL.

Reality is that the TAB is under serious pressure at the moment to make sufficient money from NZ racing so that is why they have bought into that expensive new betting platform.

This enables NZ punters to bet on the weight of Jacinda Arderns baby or 2 flies racing up a wall at Beaudesert and it costs them nothing to do this.

What a lot of crap, try betting with this crowd when your over there next, you can get on for $1000s

374D7BDA-58FF-45A5-A9E1-E3540369C546.jpeg

• Like 2

All I know is that I have had several Ozzie Agencies stop me from betting on harness racing.

I have tried at Agencies in Queensland and bets are restricted on NZ harness to small amounts to win fixed odds!

How would Betfair be any damn different.

It takes a bit sometimes to open an Ozzie betting account but stop it really quick without needing to give any reason.

It is worldwide from what I have read.

people that know me, will vouch that I don’t need to give B.S.

Edited by Brodie
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Brodie, still waiting for a few examples. Just once, it would be good for ‘ on the money brodie’  to actually back up any of your statements. Get some credibility back

4 minutes ago, Brodie said:

All I know is that I have had several Ozzie Agencies stop me from betting on harness racing.

I have tried at Agencies in Queensland and bets are restricted on NZ harness to small amounts to win fixed odds!

How would Betfair be any damn different.

It takes a bit sometimes to open an Ozzie betting account but stop it really quick without needing to give any reason.

It is worldwide from what I have read.

They hate paying out.

Betfair want punters to win, it’s a betting exchange that takes commission for all matched bets. 

NZ tab don’t want winners, but pools are small on nz racing. 

But as you are a form anaylist from both countries, try Betfair, who knows you might be on here in a few months telling us all how you made them broke. ?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Betfair want punters to win, it’s a betting exchange that takes commission for all matched bets. 

NZ tab don’t want winners, but pools are small on nz racing. 

But as you are a form anaylist from both countries, try Betfair, who knows you might be on here in a few months telling us all how you made them broke. ?

Newmarket, I have debated this Betfair Thing Previously.

Are you saying that if I wanted to put 2k for a place on a NZ harness horse in a rating 40or 50 race, then I could get it on, no problem?

I watched the site months ago and the amount being put on for NZ harness minor races was pretty pitiful.

I can’t be bothered sitting there getting small amounts accepted and some not, not worth the effort.

What I Want is to be able to put what I want on for fair or good odds during the day at my leisure rather than waiting till 2 minutes before a race!

I spoke at length to another restricted punter here who also had accounts closed in Oz and he stated that Betfair does not work for large punters investing on NZ harness lower class racing with Betfair, but then you obviously know differently!