Bit Of A Yarn

Big meeting today (Wed 16th Sept)-AWT

Pitman

Yes Riccarton this arvo 1.00pm

It will be interesting who turns up, those that have other appointments, etc, yes right!

Make sure you advise CJC, I'd hate to see you turned away, limit 100 and all

Chief you'll be there along with all of the rest of the negative mob, no excuse cheap airfares!

THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO HEAR ALL ABOUT THE AWT

Don't stay away, you can have your say!

2 hours ago, Pitman said:

Yes Riccarton this arvo 1.00pm

It will be interesting who turns up, those that have other appointments, etc, yes right!

Make sure you advise CJC, I'd hate to see you turned away, limit 100 and all

Chief you'll be there along with all of the rest of the negative mob, no excuse cheap airfares!

THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO HEAR ALL ABOUT THE AWT

Don't stay away, you can have your say!

Cheap airfares - yeah right!  It would cost me more than $500 to get there and from what I've heard from those who attended the meeting in Southland I'll only hear bulshit and jellybeans.

I'm hoping someone such as yourself takes his rose tinted glasses off, puts his self-interest aside and asks the hard questions:

1. What are the yearly maintenance costs?
  2. Where do the current trainers train while the construction is being done?
  3. Revenue projections.
  4. Will there be more stables built to accommodate dispossessed trainers from other venues?
  5. When will work be done to repair the main turf track?  How will that be funded?
  6. .....
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Cheap airfares - yeah right!  It would cost me more than $500 to get there and from what I've heard from those who attended the meeting in Southland I'll only hear bulshit and jellybeans.

I'm hoping someone such as yourself takes his rose tinted glasses off, puts his self-interest aside and asks the hard questions:

1. What are the yearly maintenance costs?
  2. Where do the current trainers train while the construction is being done? At Riccarton
  3. Revenue projections.
  4. Will there be more stables built to accommodate dispossessed trainers from other venues? I am under the impression more stables will be built if needed
  5. When will work be done to repair the main turf track?  How will that be funded? The AWT will tack pressure off current grass tracks, natural improvement
  6. .....

In many ways ,change is good,some suggest setting up a new complex somewhere else but those ideas have been floated for many things for ages,but look there  is no reason why with a second track you can obviously race more often there,hopefully not impacting on other areas,taking racing away from other tracks especially  the south is the only thing I would hate to see,judging by numbers lately they could actually  handle  more.Canterbury can basically  run there own meeting and the southern area their own as well,it happens in the trots,has done for ages.

21 minutes ago, Pitman said:

The AWT will tack pressure off current grass tracks, natural improvement

"Natural Improvement"..... I thought you were going to have the same number of meetings on the grass track proper?

Are you a church goer Pitty?  God is going to fix the soil, drainage, irrigation and grass sward!

Alleluia!  

6 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

"Natural Improvement"..... I thought you were going to have the same number of meetings on the grass track proper?

Are you a church goer Pitty?  God is going to fix the soil, drainage, irrigation and grass sward!

Alleluia!  

What is natural about a synthetic track?

5 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

In many ways ,change is good,some suggest setting up a new complex somewhere else but those ideas have been floated for many things for ages,but look there  is no reason why with a second track you can obviously race more often there,hopefully not impacting on other areas,taking racing away from other tracks especially  the south is the only thing I would hate to see,judging by numbers lately they could actually  handle  more.Canterbury can basically  run there own meeting and the southern area their own as well,it happens in the trots,has done for ages.

Well thats exactly what is going to happen, within 3 years they will have moved the majority of racing onto these tracks, just wait and see thats the plan.

I can't work out apart from better for training why a guy like Pitman would think these are good for racing in NZ, give us an explanation if you can?

I can see them lined up 10 deep to watch AWT racing at Riccarton and punters falling over each other to get a bet on the thoroughbred equivalent of Harness racing. 

It's sanitised,mass produced,dumbed down racing that will do nothing for the sport in NZ apart from send it further into oblivion.

I challenge anyone to sit and watch the US garbage on trackside for a couple of days in a row and report back.

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

3 minutes ago, Huey said:

Well thats exactly what is going to happen, within 3 years they will have moved the majority of racing onto these tracks, just wait and see thats the plan.

I can't work out apart from better for training why a guy like Pitman would think these are good for racing in NZ, give us an explanation if you can?

I can see them lined up 10 deep to watch AWT racing at Riccarton and punters falling over each other to get a bet on the thoroughbred equivalent of Harness racing. 

It's sanitised,mass produced,dumbed down racing that will do nothing for the sport in NZ apart from send it further into oblivion.

I challenge anyone to sit and watch the US garbage on trackside for a couple of days in a row and report back.

I love US racing dirt and turf. Can't stand the synthetics though. Fortunately they have ripped most of them out.

55 minutes ago, Pitman said:
  • When will work be done to repair the main turf track?  How will that be funded? The AWT will tack pressure off current grass tracks, natural improvement
  •  

What pressure , it's not from weekly meetings or even fortnightly meetings . They race more regularly on Randwick and Rosehill FFS . Why doesn't the club just use the millions they are going to pour into the A/W into fixing the track they have , bring it up to top quality standard that can cope with regular racing . 

Or does that not give you and the other big names the training tracks you want .

Everything you say the A/W's will give you can be achieved by bringing the existing track and training facilities up to international standard .

Everybody is too starry eyed and busy navel gazing about what they can get out of these A/W's .

These tracks are just going to fast track the demise of the periphery participants and clubs .

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

Why don't Mills and Saundry give the Gold Coast Turf Club a call? see how professionals do it. learn something, anything.....they race here almost every Saturday and some midweeks to boot, lose bugger all meetings and when we get rain, it rains, torrential.......it might not be a Royal Ascot or Royal Ellerslie, but as far as a racing surface and great training facilities, it bashes the tripe out of Royal Riccarton........but it might not if the money went into upgrading the grass tracks there especially the tar seal tarmac posing as a course proper.

I'm starting to think CJC might just be a 'boys club' and the Petone mob or rabble call them what you will are clamouring at the clubhouse door wanting to come in? Could I be right?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nomates said:

What pressure , it's not from weekly meetings or even fortnightly meetings . They race more regularly on Randwick and Rosehill FFS . Why doesn't the club just use the millions they are going to pour into the A/W into fixing the track they have , bring it up to top quality standard that can cope with regular racing . 

Or does that not give you and the other big names the training tracks you want .

Everything you say the A/W's will give you can be achieved by bringing the existing track and training facilities up to international standard .

Everybody is too starry eyed and busy navel gazing about what they can get out of these A/W's .

These tracks are just going to fast track the demise of the periphery participants and clubs .

Exactly. 

AWTs are the new website of NZ racing!

• Like 1