Bit Of A Yarn

What the HELL was the point of the RITA and the Messara Report? Seems we are doing it all over again!

Saturday, 19 September 2020

Three codes urged to work collaboratively

Bernard Saundry
    Bernard Saundry
    The next step in the regional racing review for the South will take place next week but all parties are being urged to get involved.

As part of the decision to give the Forbury Park Trotting Club in Dunedin dates for the season, a review into the Otago-Southland racing structure had to be undertaken.

It was to be completed by December but that looks like a very tight timetable.

New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing chief executive Bernard Saundry said the review was about how the racing industry involving the three codes — thoroughbreds, standardbreds and greyhounds — would have a sustainable future in the Otago-Southland region.

"Ultimately clubs in the region can build their own future. It is a really important the three codes work together," he said.

"There is always politics in these sort of things but the sole focus should be how we can make racing the best it can be in the region,"

Saundry said three business consultant companies would come back to the New Zealand Racing board next week and offer ideas on how the review would take place and what methodology would be used to progress the review.

From there the board would study the ideas and map out how the review would take place.

Clubs and stakeholders would be engaged and there would be research and analysis on the economics of racing.

"We want to be engaging the racing community and asking what does racing need to look like in five to 10 to 15 years. It is a very important piece of work and we’ve got to have the three codes working together. There is no use each code working out on its own without understanding what other codes are doing.

"We want an efficient business which works for the benefits of the three codes, driving participation, ownership and improving wagering outcomes."

One suggestion was to build an all-weather track at Wingatui using the proceeds from the sale of the land where Forbury Park was located.

Saundry said nothing would be ruled out and everything was on the table.

He admitted a lot of work had to be done and come December no firm plan on where the next 10 years would lead would be decided upon. It would be a phased process.

The review simply had to be carried out.

"This has to be done... You’ve got to own the future of the sport.

"It’s an exciting opportunity for clubs to revitalise venues in the region and they should be making the most of the opportunity."

He acknowledged there would be parochialism between regions but this could be used in a good way.

The codes had been living in the past for too long and it was time to put parochialism away and work together.

Other parts of the country such as the Auckland region were also undertaking reviews of the sector.

Just now, Chief Stipe said:

Saundry said three business consultant companies would come back to the New Zealand Racing board next week and offer ideas on how the review would take place and what methodology would be used to progress the review.

WTF!  What do our administrators actually do?

How much are the THREE Business Consultant Company's being paid?

Unbelievable!

• Like 1

So....do I take from this missive, that three companies / three codes, means that there is to be a consultant company for each code.

Paid for by which body/bodies?   HRNZ,NZTR,GRNZ...? or the 'new' Racing NZ..?  [ is it even up and running yet? ]   or TAB NZ?  which isn't what they are supposed to be doing...?

Saundry's beaming countenance heading the copy...so do we then assume that he is the driver of it all?  or what..?

I'm astounded.

Like J.B, I'm not speechless very often..but..ye gods..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I had to check and double check the date on this article.  Was it 2010 and not 2020.  Or was it 20 September 2019 not 19 September 2020.  Or....

Yeah na.  

Did they hire consultants to do the PGF AWT application? 

Do these people actually understand that the industry is bleeding to death?  

I also notice that Saundry refers to the ' NZ Racing Board ' .   That has been defunct for two years.....

I've thought about this article over the last day or so and have worked out the agenda.  It is following the consult part of the new legislation.  It is smoke and mirrors leading to the justification to confiscate the courses.

Basically - "well Minister we followed the legislation, spent money on engaging expert consultants and the Otago/Southland racing stakeholders and we couldn't get agreement.  So we need to confiscate Forbury, build an AWT at Wingatui, confiscate Riverton and close it down."

I guess NZTR have shown their hand now and the process has started.

At the end of the day I still believe we are heading down a path of self-destruction for the wrong reasons.  Replacing a low-cost model of racetrack operation with a high-cost one is not the answer.  The issue is and has always been the largesse and poor management by NZRB and the code administrators.  THAT is where the high costs that have dragged the industry down have been.

• Champ Post 1

In all your lives have you lot ever experienced such inept, disgraceful and openly collusive behaviour? in any industry I mean.........I'd be interested to know.........we see it from time to time with various governments, even they though are eventually held to account, unless I'm very much mistaken HQ will ultimately do whatever they please and swan around with a head wobble synonymous with FIGJAMS.

• Like 1

I was talking to an Ashburton dairy farming couple on Friday, asked them how they had come through the micoplasma bovis matter...then was sorry I asked.

Twenty minutes later, after a very emotive and heartfelt discourse, it seemed that dealing with the useless 'suits' of MPI, and various other departments was very similar to  racing, with corrupt and/or inept management protocols.

6 minutes ago, Freda said:

I was talking to an Ashburton dairy farming couple on Friday, asked them how they had come through the micoplasma bovis matter...then was sorry I asked.

Twenty minutes later, after a very emotive and heartfelt discourse, it seemed that dealing with the useless 'suits' of MPI, and various other departments was very similar to  racing, with corrupt and/or inept management protocols.

That was another shambles,hundreds and thousands of healthy cattle killed off,should have been ashamed of themselves and now we have a halfwit drawing up draconian halfbaked ideas for farmers to adhere too in this supposed clean water policy,what a joke this lot in govt are.

• Like 1
    • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I've thought about this article over the last day or so and have worked out the agenda.  It is following the consult part of the new legislation.  It is smoke and mirrors leading to the justification to confiscate the courses.

Basically - "well Minister we followed the legislation, spent money on engaging expert consultants and the Otago/Southland racing stakeholders and we couldn't get agreement.  So we need to confiscate Forbury, build an AWT at Wingatui, confiscate Riverton and close it down."

I guess NZTR have shown their hand now and the process has started.

At the end of the day I still believe we are heading down a path of self-destruction for the wrong reasons.  Replacing a low-cost model of racetrack operation with a high-cost one is not the answer.  The issue is and has always been the largesse and poor management by NZRB and the code administrators.  THAT is where the high costs that have dragged the industry down have been.

If forbury built a track for harness racing at Wingatui that wouldn't be so bad,use the facility more,it will be interesting to see how forbury go when they race next week.

16 minutes ago, Freda said:

Yes I have a few dairy farming friends.  Mycoplasma bovis is a hot topic with them.  Eradication in their opinion is a stupid approach with most dairy countries managing it.  MPI still haven't achieved it.  $400m later!  

• Like 2
    • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

If forbury built a track for harness racing at Wingatui that wouldn't be so bad,use the facility more,it will be interesting to see how forbury go when they race next week.

But the assumption with "using the facility more" is a bad one based on the premise that we can get thousands back to the races.  The fact is in today's age that isn't going to happen.  Remember "a day out at the races" is in fact a "day out".  Name any other sporting activity in New Zealand that lasts 5 to 6 hours AND attracts large crowds.

Putting a harness track inside the galloping track at Wingatui negates one of the oncourse advantages of harness - you are close to the action when you stand beside the outside fence.  You are still close to the action when you have a purpose built stand close to that fence.  

If you can't get a crowd to Forbury putting harness 20km away at Wingatui isn't going to change that.  Plus don't forget that Forbury houses both harness and greyhound racing.  Why should those two codes "sell out" to Wingatui?    

Forbury Park Trotting Club didn't lose money on its racing activities but on its catering business.  

Have a look at the "new facilities" that are being built around the world for gallop tracks.  Pakenham for one.  They are not huge grandstands that hold thousands of spectators but small stands closer to the action that accommodate owners and trainers and the few local diehards.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

But the assumption with "using the facility more" is a bad one based on the premise that we can get thousands back to the races.  The fact is in today's age that isn't going to happen.  Remember "a day out at the races" is in fact a "day out".  Name any other sporting activity in New Zealand that lasts 5 to 6 hours AND attracts large crowds.

Putting a harness track inside the galloping track at Wingatui negates one of the oncourse advantages of harness - you are close to the action when you stand beside the outside fence.  You are still close to the action when you have a purpose built stand close to that fence.  

If you can't get a crowd to Forbury putting harness 20km away at Wingatui isn't going to change that.  Plus don't forget that Forbury houses both harness and greyhound racing.  Why should those two codes "sell out" to Wingatui?    

Forbury Park Trotting Club didn't lose money on its racing activities but on its catering business.  

Have a look at the "new facilities" that are being built around the world for gallop tracks.  Pakenham for one.  They are not huge grandstands that hold thousands of spectators but small stands closer to the action that accommodate owners and trainers and the few local diehards.  

Fair comment.