Bit Of A Yarn

Foxton Trials Abandoned After Accident

Thanks mate. Just saw this.

NZ Herald
By: Michael Guerin

One of New Zealand's leading jockeys Rosie Myers is in an induced coma in Wellington Hospital after a freak accident at the Foxton trials today.

The 33-year-old jockey was airlifted to hospital after being dislodged when her horse veered sideways 150m after winning heat 11 at the trials meeting and it is believed a rival horse following her contacted her head straight after the fall.

Paramedics were on the scene to treat Myers who was believed to have been knocked out in the incident.

"Rosie has just been moved to the ICU," her husband William Fell told the Herald form Wellington Hospital tonight.

"She has been in the induced coma since before she was flown here and hasn't been brought out of that.

"The doctors are saying she has some fractures around her face but it looks like there is no fractures in any other parts of her body.

"So we have been told to wait to see what happens in the next 12-24 hours but at this stage she doesn't need an operation."

The accident was extremely unusual in that it happened after the trial had been run and the horses were slowing down to turn around and return to the stables.

Myers's mount ducked sideways, she was dislodged and the horse following her struck her.

Trials are conducted under race-like conditions to educate horses or improve their fitness and the Racing Integrity Unit steward in charge of the meeting Neil Goodwin said the incident was minor in how it unfolded but Myers was simply unlucky.

Edited by curious

I dont like to sound bad in my comments ,when someone gets badly hurt they always abandon the rest of the card,sad and unfortunate as it is a lot of people have taken the time to attend with their charges and have to go home early,life does go on,should the show be completed,what do others think?

As I said ,sad as it is life still goes on.

Edited by mikeynz

To a point you are right, however the risk is other riders may be thinking more about Rosie and thereby endangering themselves and others in the process without there mind fully on the job.

Todays H and S requirements make the option of proceeding impossible, the same as if a serious incident occurring in any workplace today sees it shutdown for an investigation, as it should.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, barryb said:

To a point you are right, however the risk is other riders may be thinking more about Rosie and thereby endangering themselves and others in the process without there mind fully on the job.

Todays H and S requirements make the option of proceeding impossible, the same as if a serious incident occurring in any workplace today sees it shutdown for an investigation, as it should.

I hear what you are saying but that didn't stop Moonee Valley the other night.

Also there is no need to shut down for a Workplace investigation.  Unlike a road accident there were many witnesses even possibly a video of the incident.  The track conditions weren't the issue.

Don't think I'm being callous as I'm quite concerned about one of my favourite jockey's.  However it is a professional sport.  

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Long stop said:

Did i read the herald article right - stipe said incident was minor? Wtf? This was a major accident.

The incident was minor but the outcome wasn't.  These types of "incidents" happen every week in and around horses.  Thankfully the vast majority dont have a serious outcome.

I don't know who it was riding the horse that caused the injury but I also feel for them. Hard to not be thinking would've/could've/should've done something different. Also hard to dodge a flying rolling object on a speeding horse. I hope it wasn't and don't know but I don't think the cones on the inside of the track from the finishline are a good or safe idea. That's why they have moveable rail.

2 minutes ago, curious said:

I hope it wasn't and don't know but I don't think the cones on the inside of the track from the finishline are a good or safe idea. That's why they have moveable rail.

Yeah I wondered about that.  The cones wouldn't be allowed on a racday so why for official trials?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, curious said:

I don't know who it was riding the horse that caused the injury but I also feel for them. Hard to not be thinking would've/could've/should've done something different. Also hard to dodge a flying rolling object on a speeding horse. I hope it wasn't and don't know but I don't think the cones on the inside of the track from the finishline are a good or safe idea. That's why they have moveable rail.

Have they just re grassed this area ? , done the same a couple of seasons back for the area both sides of the gap .

Most horses have galloped between cones by the time they get to trials , but they are horses . 

11 minutes ago, nomates said:

Have they just re grassed this area ? , done the same a couple of seasons back for the area both sides of the gap .

Most horses have galloped between cones by the time they get to trials , but they are horses . 

This was a Foxton trained horse. May have had nothing to do with it and perhaps they use the traffic cones there now but I've never seen them on the gallop tracks. They always used white marker pegs and that was what they were using the last couple of times I was there in recent weeks and I've ridden quite a few gallops on that track in the last 20 years. If it was regrassed, why not just move the rail out? It was already out 3m wasn't it?

Edited by curious

1 minute ago, curious said:

This was a Foxton trained horse. May have had nothing to do with it and perhaps they use the traffic cones there now but I've never seen them on the gallop tracks. They always used white marker pegs and I've ridden quite a few gallops on that track in the last 20 years. If it was regrassed, why not just move the rail out? It was already out 3m wasn't it?

They have used cones in the past , not sure if they still do , to keep horses off the outside of the course proper when there are trials there on a wet track to stop everybody scouting wide , thereby saving Mr Haworths , sorry their galloping surface .

9 minutes ago, nomates said:

They have used cones in the past , not sure if they still do , to keep horses off the outside of the course proper when there are trials there on a wet track to stop everybody scouting wide , thereby saving Mr Haworths , sorry their galloping surface .

Yes I mentioned that earlier. They were there whomever owns the galloping strip. Don't have much problem with ones on the outside. Just the inside ones seem a bit odd when trialling horses pulling up usually move toward the centre of the track approaching the crossing anyway.

• Like 1

Rosie Myers remains in coma

NZTR
8 October 2020
Central Districts jockey Rosie Myers remains in Wellington Hospital following a fall at the Foxton trials on Tuesday.

Rosie was struck by another horse after she fell and has sustained head and facial injuries.  She remains in an induced coma, but all her vital signs are good according to husband William Fell.

William, and Rosie’s other immediate family, have been at the hospital since Tuesday and appreciate the support and positive thoughts they have received from the wider racing fraternity.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2020 at 4:34 PM, nomates said:

No sign of an orange cone inside or out today? Has the incident investigation been completed and reprted?