Bit Of A Yarn

Betting deductions,clubs income.

mikeynz

3 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Am I correct that clubs get nothing as such from on course betting,I'm assuming that all turnover is combined,does anyone know what the clubs get,just curious.

Someone told me that the percentage for oncourse is now the same as offcourse.

You would think though that people oncourse is probably going to spend on every race.

The thing is that if you can not get punters oncourse in good numbers, eventually their interest will dwindle, if they are not experiencing the racing live

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

Someone told me that the percentage for oncourse is now the same as offcourse.

You would think though that people oncourse is probably going to spend on every race.

The thing is that if you can not get punters oncourse in good numbers, eventually their interest will dwindle, if they are not experiencing the racing live

Does the club cover the cost for the on course betting service,as so many probably bet on course on smartphones anyway,I've suggested that maybe no on course service for days that only attract a handful of people but gee even then you probably need 1 or 2 windows to keep the cash spenders happy,everyone needs to be catered for.

1 hour ago, mikeynz said:

Does the club cover the cost for the on course betting service,as so many probably bet on course on smartphones anyway,I've suggested that maybe no on course service for days that only attract a handful of people but gee even then you probably need 1 or 2 windows to keep the cash spenders happy,everyone needs to be catered for.

Do not know.

i am sure someone will advise.

Does not appear to be very many oncourse tonight

11 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

And then you hear some saying if there is no tote windows they just ain't betting,they will go home or something.

There has to be a window or two!

How racing has changed for the worse in recent years due to very poor decisions!

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

There has to be a window or two!

How racing has changed for the worse in recent years due to very poor decisions!

It is a hard one though when most who go probably do bet on smartphone,it makes adding up how much is bet on track almost impossible to tally up,there have been lots of changes over the years not all are good some are.no radio coverage is the poorest change from the TABs decision makers but then I spose the fact you can watch them all on tv is big plus,remember once there was no tv coverage.

Used to love being oncourse to watch racing, when I was able to put bets on, whether it was prior to going oncourse or during a race meeting.

I just dont bother going to race meetings anymore and I know of many others that do not bother either!!

When you are not able to offload a reasonable amount of money on a harness race, then what is the point of going oncourse?

The restrictions made by the NZ TAB socalled bookmakers and the ridiculous $1k limit for the socalled anti money laundering bill just makes it a waste of time!

The lockdown where people were not allowed oncourse will also have changed peoples decisions whether they go oncourse.

How harness racing has changed where Addington was packed on a Saturday night to what we have now, which is like a Wednesday trial day!

Sadly things dont seem to be going to get any better, and we havent heard from the CEO Mr Holden for such a long time

11 minutes ago, Brodie said:

How harness racing has changed where Addington was packed on a Saturday night to what we have now, which is like a Wednesday trial day!

this must be before the 80's began

showing your age here cobber

Edited by Rangatira
  • Haha 2

Sadly things dont seem to be going to get any better, and we havent heard from the CEO Mr Holden for such a long time

And you won't here from him, far to busy with other matters. This is what you get when you hire a professional CEO that does not know one end of a horse from the other. It was the same with the dogs, bludgers the lot of them.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Used to love being oncourse to watch racing, when I was able to put bets on, whether it was prior to going oncourse or during a race meeting.

I just dont bother going to race meetings anymore and I know of many others that do not bother either!!

When you are not able to offload a reasonable amount of money on a harness race, then what is the point of going oncourse?

The restrictions made by the NZ TAB socalled bookmakers and the ridiculous $1k limit for the socalled anti money laundering bill just makes it a waste of time!

The lockdown where people were not allowed oncourse will also have changed peoples decisions whether they go oncourse.

Am I correct that if you place a bet of 1000 dollars or more you have to have I'd, password  etc what if your a casual punter with no tab account

34 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

this must be before the 80's began

showing your age here cobber

I was very young and still am at heart Ranga!
Went with my mother and the place had thousands there on a Saturday night.

Manual dividend boards, 50c doubles, people booing horses occasionally!

They were very good days for harness racing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brodie said:

I was very young and still am at heart Ranga!
Went with my mother and the place had thousands there on a Saturday night.

Manual dividend boards, 50c doubles, people booing horses occasionally!

They were very good days for harness racing.

yes decent crowds on a saturday night back in those days

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Am I correct that if you place a bet of 1000 dollars or more you have to have I'd, password  etc what if your a casual punter with no tab account

Mikey, if you place a $1k bet or even collect $1k you have to prove who you are, irrespective of how much you put on!!!

It is just blatant control by the NZ TAB who needs to concentrate on running their own business aNd not trying to pry into everyone elses business!!

53 minutes ago, Brodie said:

TV has changed our viewing habits,as in attending events,as for going to the races I have to admit I dont go but many moons ago when we were young going to forbury on saturday night was a highlight,that's where I caught the bug,as a spectacle but the forbury meetings of those days were big events top class racing,its only a shadow of what it was,on another note I hear that James Shaw halfwit on zb,it appears to me with these deluded oddballs ideas that the bloke that whacked  him didn't whack  him hard enough,just a side issue lol

• Like 1

Just noticed the little green number that tells you of a notification is back.

Talking about crowds less than 5000 people turned up at Forsyth Barr stadium  for the shield match on sunday,same teams 7 years ago 18000 turned up,we just get too much it doesn't have the same impact over time.

• Like 2

The vibe of harness racing has definitely gone oncourse nowadays.

Trackside last night showed 4 people sitting in the stand 5 minutes before a race 
Reality is that something has to change for the better or harness racing will not survive.

First and foremost we need to continue to have punters coming through!

Yes we need owners and horses but without the punters dollar, we are not going to need owners or horses as there will be no one to fund the racing!

The NZ TAB does not care about harness racing, the suits only need sports betting which costs them buggerall so that they get paid.

Harness racing is in a far worse position than most will Be prepared to admit.

There is next to no new owners coming through, as how could anyone justify racing a horse nowadays with the poor returns?

Yes the ones that race horses will say they do it for the fun of it, but they can only do it while they have the funds to do it.

That does not happen indefinitely and we need to constantly have new participants coming into racing, which is not happening!

Sad but true, and are we hearing from our new temporary part time CEO??

Edited by Brodie

I spose racing with trackside is got one good point,you might get 25 people on course but 25000,maybe watching on tv around the country,professional sport maybe never be  the same post covid 19 worldwide,so many rely on crowds,its amazed me how the australian horse racing has just kept going through the pandemic,probably despite taking a hit,we havnt seen the real fallout yet.........i see 5000 tickets not sold at present for test in Wellington,its not the be all and end all in life anymore,not sure if the ozzies are that good but it will boost the egos of the ABs i spose if they beat a team from a country where rugby is not that important,so many things to ponder for administrators going forward.

Edited by mikeynz

18 hours ago, Brodie said:

when i was younger and this is the 70s looking forward to the trots at the weekend was like a kid waiting for santa to come at xmas,and i will point out that thats  the only time ive known santa to be on his travels lol,i just think as one ages the excitement tends to fade,i think also that saturation point of sport and racing dont help.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikeynz said:

when i was younger and this is the 70s looking forward to the trots at the weekend was like a kid waiting for santa to come at xmas,and i will point out that thats  the only time ive known santa to be on his travels lol,i just think as one ages the excitement tends to fade,i think also that saturation point of sport and racing dont help.

Mikey, we are very fortunate that we have Trackside and able to watch NZ racing!

However, you are correct the saturation of overseas racing is a real turnoff for many.

The TAB expects punters to be be gambling on this shite, and I believe you have a gambling problem if you are betting on horses or dogs that you have no idea about.

The NZ TAB needs to be encouraging punters to be betting on NZ racing rather than restricting punters.

• Like 1