Bit Of A Yarn

Betting deductions,clubs income.

mikeynz

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

Mikey, we are very fortunate that we have Trackside and able to watch NZ racing!

However, you are correct the saturation of overseas racing is a real turnoff for many.

The TAB expects punters to be be gambling on this shite, and I believe you have a gambling problem if you are betting on horses or dogs that you have no idea about.

The NZ TAB needs to be encouraging punters to be betting on NZ racing rather than restricting punters.

In reality I might watch some of that racing but I'm not interested in punting on them,some of those races have a pool of 20 dollars or something so no one else is really interested either.

As for gambling problems the net is a great place to lose time and money,I played around on some sites for a while,on reflection I wish I hadn't but you cant change the past.

Gambling can be a problem,but just being on our smartphones can too,I spend a fair bit of time here but apart from the news and sport sites and some you tube and sometimes learning something new we can waste a lot of aimless time online.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

In reality I might watch some of that racing but I'm not interested in punting on them,some of those races have a pool of 20 dollars or something so no one else is really interested either.

As for gambling problems the net is a great place to lose time and money,I played around on some sites for a while,on reflection I wish I hadn't but you cant change the past.

Gambling can be a problem,but just being on our smartphones can too,I spend a fair bit of time here but apart from the news and sport sites and some you tube and sometimes learning something new we can waste a lot of aimless time online.

Mikey, I also have had a gambling problem for a few years now!

The NZ TAB wont let me on for much!!!!!!!!!!

Just now, Brodie said:

Mikey, I also have had a gambling problem for a few years now!

The NZ TAB wont let me on for much!!!!!!!!!!

I think the fact that we do gamble at all suggest we all have in some ways,its about keeping a balance,I actually haven't put a cent in TAB since about april and I'm only a small punter,(I'm only 5 foot 2 lol)when they sacked Davey Mac and some of the changes I said fuckem no more,they give me bonus money which I use and actually every one has won but in the end it always comes unstuck and ends up back at 1 cent but hey I still have fun for a day or two so no harm done,can watch races not needing a bet,mind you if everyone did that racing wouldn't last long aye.

• Like 1

I will say though that while we sometimes complain about the TAB we must not lose sight of the fact that they keep our racing going so we should support own,some say sell it off,I'm not sure,do we want everything that is NZ run by outside influence 

Do overseas sites pay us for betting on nz racing,does anyone know?

I always enjoyed radio and then I'd have a few dollars on races while out and about ,now without radio I just dont bother,I'm not streaming on smartphone all day fuck that but as I have ditched sky for now I actually like listening to the Roland Garros Tennis online radio when in bed but as that's only a short term event I can live with that,as racings everyday that's a bit different.

As I ain't got sky at the moment I wont watch the rugby,basically I dont give a fuck about it,but I will watch the odds race at Methven if I'm around,I use to love the NPC and if you you tube some of the shield matches and touring games from the past the passion was stronger,its probably no different for the players today but for the ageing public it's just another game now.

In many ways the greedy  Rugby Union haven't advanced the game ,its gone the other way,with it being pro some have benefited but with covid the reset button has been pressed.

Edited by mikeynz

5 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

I will say though that while we sometimes complain about the TAB we must not lose sight of the fact that they keep our racing going so we should support own,some say sell it off,I'm not sure,do we want everything that is NZ run by outside influence 

Have you not been following the debate?  The question is not who OWN's the NZ TAB but how it is managed and run.  Further what is the best structure to discourage - poor investment decisions, grossly overpaid executives, gross inefficiencies and poor returns to the industry.  The goal of the recent reforms were to address those issues sadly, in my opinion, nothing has really changed.

So would a better option be to remove the NZ TAB monopoly in NZ and allow alternative options.  Many NZ punters in frustration have moved their custom to overseas providers anyway.  

9 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Do overseas sites pay us for betting on nz racing,does anyone know?

Yes - it is now called the BIUC (Betting Information User Charges).  According to the snippet of budget and revenue information we got from RITA (TAB NZ) for the month of August 2020 those fees will return $9.1m for the year.  Hardly the windfall that was touted.  BUT the gotcha is that NZ pays in the other direction i.e. we pay fees to allow bets on overseas races.  I doubt when you balance the books on the fees received and the fees paid if their is a big profit!  Also don't forget if it wasn't for OZ racing the TAB NZ would have received NO revenue during the Covid-19 lockdown.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Have you not been following the debate?  The question is not who OWN's the NZ TAB but how it is managed and run.  Further what is the best structure to discourage - poor investment decisions, grossly overpaid executives, gross inefficiencies and poor returns to the industry.  The goal of the recent reforms were to address those issues sadly, in my opinion, nothing has really changed.

So would a better option be to remove the NZ TAB monopoly in NZ and allow alternative options.  Many NZ punters in frustration have moved their custom to overseas providers anyway.  

Yes - it is now called the BIUC (Betting Information User Charges).  According to the snippet of budget and revenue information we got from RITA (TAB NZ) for the month of August 2020 those fees will return $9.1m for the year.  Hardly the windfall that was touted.  BUT the gotcha is that NZ pays in the other direction i.e. we pay fees to allow bets on overseas races.  I doubt when you balance the books on the fees received and the fees paid if their is a big profit!  Also don't forget if it wasn't for OZ racing the TAB NZ would have received NO revenue during the Covid-19 lockdown.

I often wonder if they need two tv channel's 24 and 7.

2 hours ago, mikeynz said:

So are you restricted because you spend too much or you win too much?

Very hard to win much when they wont let you win much!!!

It was not because I was losing!

Anyone that shows signs of winning are chopped off at the knees!

The TAB are absolute hypocrites in that they advertise that they are concerned about problem gamblers!!!!

The only problem gamblers they worry about is the ones that win and then that becomes no problem for them, as they stop them!!

No winning punters allowed at the NZ TAB!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hunterthepunter said:

how much do the tab let you put on the spitfire?

Probably let me offload?

The Spitfire is in again tomorrow at Methven, wont run a divvie for its 51st start!!

There must be some story behind it why Andrew Faulks continues to race it??

On 10/10/2020 at 11:35 AM, mikeynz said:

I think the fact that we do gamble at all suggest we all have in some ways,its about keeping a balance,I actually haven't put a cent in TAB since about april and I'm only a small punter,(I'm only 5 foot 2 lol)when they sacked Davey Mac and some of the changes I said fuckem no more,they give me bonus money which I use and actually every one has won but in the end it always comes unstuck and ends up back at 1 cent but hey I still have fun for a day or two so no harm done,can watch races not needing a bet,mind you if everyone did that racing wouldn't last long aye.

Greyhounds at invers today,you wonder if anyone is there to use the tote windows,days like this it would be interesting to see if there is any point,its Sunday,you wonder if Davey Mac is relieved hes not doing the calling on this dog shit,be able to watch the rugby or whatever, that guy had dedication.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Brodie said:

The TAB are absolute hypocrites in that they advertise that they are concerned about problem gamblers!!!!

The only problem gamblers they worry about is the ones that win and then that becomes no problem for them, as they stop them!!

No winning punters at TAB,they ain't the only restricters.

On 10/10/2020 at 2:30 PM, Brodie said:

Restrictions only apply to fixed odds,am I correct.

10 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Yes.

thing is that with the pools not being that big, you can not put much on the tote, as affects divs too much

It does make you wonder how much is stacked on a purdon horse that pays 1 dollar in the place pool,not much point,it cost the Tab in the end

• Like 1