Bit Of A Yarn

Marine

Guest CrossCodes

Guest CrossCodes

Hopefully CWJ can get his license back in time to ride this horse in the guineas, as it clearly needs a senior rider after watching its last few races.

The apprentice can’t seem to control the horse and get it to run straight, and he looks terrible the way he rides out a horse, very unbalanced, and Chris’s hands will suit this horse down to the ground.

On 24/10/2020 at 4:08 PM, CrossCodes said:

Hopefully CWJ can get his license back in time to ride this horse in the guineas, as it clearly needs a senior rider after watching its last few races.

The apprentice can’t seem to control the horse and get it to run straight, and he looks terrible the way he rides out a horse, very unbalanced, and Chris’s hands will suit this horse down to the ground.

I am pretty sure M Pitman will have a plan in mind.  He usually does.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Pitman said:

Not that it’s any of your business but do you never get facts right Marine has only started 3 times 1-2-2

Plus a trial.  So let's split the difference and say not 3, not 5 BUT 4.

It might not be any of my business but given we are talking sport it is still OK to have an opinion.

One of your owner's suggests there might be "a plan".  All I was saying in relation to his comment is it's a big call to wait until the Guineas.  

Then again maybe Marine is feeling the track.

• Champ Post 1

Trials aren't races, never have been, even you must know that.

Don't have a problem people having an opinion, but liars I do

Marine like all our team have come through the last two days at Riccarton all good, now we wait for Riccarton and NZ Cup Week, best week of the year, great stakes very competitive racing

7 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Plus a trial.  So let's split the difference and say not 3, not 5 BUT 4.

It might not be any of my business but given we are talking sport it is still OK to have an opinion.

One of your owner's suggests there might be "a plan".  All I was saying in relation to his comment is it's a big call to wait until the Guineas.  

Then again maybe Marine is feeling the track.

I have no ownership interest in Marine but I do respect Michael's judgment(and given he has trained the winners of nearly 2000 races I suspect he has earned that respect).  I have been known to question his judgment(strictly in regards horses I do have an interest in) and he delights in letting me know when he proves me wrong.

I am 100% positive he will have a plan in mind(which may include gear changes or rider changes or whatever) for upcoming races.  I have not asked him about it nor intend to do so but I know how he works.

At the end of the day the owners pay the bills and if they are happy then I am not (generally) that keen on seeing outsiders making comments

As my old (and grumpy) Uncle used to say 'The man who does the paying does the saying'

I just hope the horse is good enough to kick arse for the South in two weeks time.  We are overdue another Guineas winner

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

As a loyal south islander I hope you are right.

But it will take a horse with more than green talent to beat Need I Say More or Aegon.

Indeed

But prior to Need I say More's win on Saturday the word was that Tinker McPhie was unbeatable. Racing is a funny game so say gidday to everyone when you are on the way up because it wont be long you will pass them again on the way back down

Marine looks like being competitive to me especially if there are some changes in the offing to sort out some issues(and I think there will be)

4 minutes ago, Reefton said:

But prior to Need I say More's win on Saturday the word was that Tinker McPhie was unbeatable.

They went 1:22 flat in that race.  She ran the fastest last 600m - equal fastest of the day.

5 minutes ago, Reefton said:

Marine looks like being competitive to me especially if there are some changes in the offing to sort out some issues(and I think there will be)

Jockey for one.  He didn't ride all that balanced over the last bit.  Probably they'll throw blinkers on - always a roll of the dice move.

Cornflower Blue is going to start in the 2000 Guineas.

8 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

They went 1:22 flat in that race.  She ran the fastest last 600m - equal fastest of the day.

Surprised everyone is not screeching about the state of the track if they went 1.22.  Outrageous - how dare they produce a track where horses can run 1.22 - I expect they will all be broken down right now.

10 hours ago, Reefton said:

Surprised everyone is not screeching about the state of the track if they went 1.22.  Outrageous - how dare they produce a track where horses can run 1.22 - I expect they will all be broken down right now.

They were.  If you watched Weigh In a couple of Jockey's gave it a server especially Danielle Johnson.

If you have been following my posts on tracks over the last few years you will acknowledge that I've given Te Rapa a few serves.  In my opinion same problem on Saturday different location.  At least Te Rapa upgraded from D4 to G3.  

However Te Rapa on Saturday was a different class of horse to those running at Riccarton on 3rd of October - maidens were running faster times at Riccarton!  Also we didn't see clouds of dust at Te Rapa that we saw at Riccarton.

I think the issue is we have set a target of G3 and everything has be "re-aligned" to achieve that target.  Riccarton on 3rd October wasn't a G3 it was a G2 - Te Rapa on Saturday wasn't a D4 it was a G3.  

That leads me to believe that the measurement system is all out of whack.  When was the last time that the measurement tools were re-calibrated?

50 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

They were.  If you watched Weigh In a couple of Jockey's gave it a server especially Danielle Johnson.

What a load of crap

Riccarton track on Saturday was great, we are 2 weeks out from NZ Cup Week it’s late October FFS

Who is Danielle riding for?

Towing the party line comes to mind. I hope Riccarton doesn’t fall for all this bullshit!!

Just now, Pitman said:

What a load of crap

Riccarton track on Saturday was great, we are 2 weeks out from NZ Cup Week it’s late October FFS

Who is Danielle riding for?

Towing the party line comes to mind. I hope Riccarton doesn’t fall for all this bullshit!!

Geez Pitty get a grip!  Are you under pressure?  I've already said that the track at Riccarton on Saturday was a lot lot better than October 3rd!!!!  Apparently took a lot of water to get it there though!

OK so your assessment of Danielle's comment on Weigh In (comment on her Bourbanaire ride) is that she was having a subtle serve at Riccarton NOT Te Rapa?  She was riding for Stephen Marsh in that instance.

SO specifically what did I post that was a "load of crap"?

5 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

My apologies thought it was yet another criticism of Riccarton re 3rd October

No I am not under any more pressure than usual - that goes with the job, but you wouldn’t know that.

Edited by Pitman

4 minutes ago, Pitman said:

I don’t think any tracks adhere to that do they?

I wish they would if what has been quoted is correct

So isn't that part of the problem?  Shouldn't there be uniform and enforceable standards throughout the country?  I just posted in another topic the level of track information provided to EVERYONE for Flemington.  Why can't we see the penetrometer readings?  Afterall at the end of the day we are all in this game together.  The more minds assessing the data the better off we'll be.

What actually does NZTR do?  Apart from hire 3 different business consultancy firms to determine how to carve up club track assets!