Bit Of A Yarn

Track preparation

curious

1 minute ago, curious said:

I didn't see that either. Can someone post a link to it please.

I've been thinking about how you would install one without closing the course down for 18 months.  The narrowness of the AWT's which are supposedly good enough for running races would suggest that you could do a Strathayr in two stages - sure the maximum field sizes would be reduced but could it be done?  Let's face it the NZ Derby could do with a reduction in field size!  I hate the kamikaze race to the first bend! 

15 hours ago, nomates said:

Never seen so much reporting on one track leading up to meeting , obviously a nerve was exposed .

don't people moan about all tracks or only just the CJC ??? I thought the information given was brilliant   so if a nerve was hit then that's what all clubs should be responding re info for race days, hopefully from now on the CJC provides information like that to all of their meetings going forward

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Running Man said:

don't people moan about all tracks or only just the CJC ??? I thought the information given was brilliant   so if a nerve was hit then that's what all clubs should be responding re info for race days, hopefully from now on the CJC provides information like that to all of their meetings going forward

Don't hold your breath waiting for consistency across the board . Ellerslie today has come up with a G3 to start the day , which goes against NZTR protocols of starting the day with a D4 , go figure . The only reason the CJC are giving out so much information for this meeting is to ensure all the big northern stables are happy after the hard track a month ago .

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, nomates said:

Don't hold your breath waiting for consistency across the board . Ellerslie today has come up with a G3 to start the day , which goes against NZTR protocols of starting the day with a D4 , go figure . The only reason the CJC are giving out so much information for this meeting is to ensure all the big northern stables are happy after the hard track a month ago .

AKA Damage control.........

1 hour ago, nomates said:

isn't NZTR protocol's a good 3 not dead 4??? well if Ellerslie are a good 3 Ellis and Richards will be going off or is that just at Riccarton ??? cant see why he would be complaining about tracks when he had 24 horses in at Avondale on a GOOD 2 EVEN STARTED A TWO YEAR OLD  GO FIGURE

25 minutes ago, Running Man said:

well if Ellerslie are a good 3 Ellis and Richards will be going off or is that just at Riccarton

How do you know they haven't?  Plus Riccarton wasn't a G3 on 3 October.

26 minutes ago, Running Man said:

cant see why he would be complaining about tracks when he had 24 horses in at Avondale on a GOOD 2 EVEN STARTED A TWO YEAR OLD  GO FIGURE

How do you know they didn't complain?  Anyway Avondale got caned as the meeting was abandoned after 5 races due to rain on the hard surface.  Seems they have been ground hogging ever since.  As for the 2yr old - a four horse race and an easy win which helps with Karaka Millions entry.  Trainers don't have many choices and often don't get accurate track information.

MiniMuM venue guideline standards – fifth edition septeMber 20137(d) NZTR recognises the preparation of the racing surface is not always capable of precise control, particularly having regard to weather conditions leading up to and on the race day itself, taking into account the particular characteristics of the track e.g. soil type, soil moisture, grass cover and quality of the irrigation system. Track management will not be criticised by NZTR if they have prepared the racing surface in line with the objectives of producing a GooD 3 rating and that due to circumstances outside of their control, the racing surface falls outside the GooD 3 rating band on race morning;

51 minutes ago, curious said:

No it is for G3 and not at the start of the meeting but first thing on race morning.

Ok so that has changed , interesting that it has seeing as they were always so strong about the D4 . I have no problem with a G3 . Trying to manage it to have a D4 was always a guessing game regarding watering , and we have seen many occasions where it was got wrong .

2 hours ago, nomates said:

Ok so that has changed , interesting that it has seeing as they were always so strong about the D4 . I have no problem with a G3 . Trying to manage it to have a D4 was always a guessing game regarding watering , and we have seen many occasions where it was got wrong .

As far as I know it never was a dead 4 here. It is a G4 at the time of the first race in Vic and I think it should be the same here.