Bit Of A Yarn

Selective Reporting

Mikie

Quote JJ Flash: "Do you know categorically that that has not happened?. Cup week figures suggest all is not as bad as some naysayers would like"

Oh really JJ Flash? Cup week figures are all good are they?

Cup Day On-course down $224097

Show Day Off Course down $297683

Show Day On Course down $48430

However it's much better to put out a Press Release saying total Turnover on Cup Day was up isn't it?

Ditto with the returns to the Code bodies. Much better to say "above budget, up on last year" than say "up on last year but codes now have to absorb some costs we used to pay so we aren't really sure if they are better off  or not, but it looks better to say so"

Turnovers might be up Off Course, but if we don't encourage On Course attendance and future participation as Owners and Trainers it will crash and burn eventually, as us diehards die out

Mikie

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 2

57 minutes ago, Mikie said:

Ditto with the returns to the Code bodies. Much better to say "above budget, up on last year" than say "up on last year but codes now have to absorb some costs we used to pay so we aren't really sure if they are better off  or not, but it looks better to say so"

Good post Mikie.  I think one of JJ's J's must be Joseph as in Goebels - Minister of Propaganda.

The fact is the TAB has shifted costs to the codes which makes them look good but overall the industry isn't better off.  In fact with the duplication of resources you would say it is worse off.

The conspiracist in me suggests that this favours the Thoroughbred code as they have the assets to pilfer and also a more wealthy owner and breeder group.

• Like 1

I was responding to Brodie re turnovers and should have said for all codes. For Cup week including hounds and TB's i would have though the numbers were ok. You obviously see it differently which is your prerogative. Do i think Harness is doing well, no and things are only getting worse when Code distributions are dished out in the coming years. Word out there is overseas interest/punting in NZ harness is now on a par with  our Greyhounds.

Edited by JJ Flash

I guess if you run lots of average racedays which attract limited interest then the clubs will get less stakes money, does it really matter,that's the big question,I guess its supply and demand,if stakes drop to 5000,will owners/trainers still bother,that remains to be seen gee at present they are struggling to run one meeting a week in the north yet Canterbury are running in some cases 2 or 3 do they need that many?

The gallops in the south race less meetings but checkout the stakes for some of the meetings coming up over summer,maybe less but better quality is a option for harness,people still turn up on Cup Day,Central Otago will have crowds at new year and Westport,Nelson the same,interest is still there but people do have habit of losing interest if you get too much of same old same old,its not just happening to harness racing,look at crowds for Mitre 10 cup,one day cricket etc etc,there are a lot of race meetings that one just passes on these days,hard to maintain interest where we do have to actually work and live our lives as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikie said:

Quote JJ Flash: "Do you know categorically that that has not happened?. Cup week figures suggest all is not as bad as some naysayers would like"

Oh really JJ Flash? Cup week figures are all good are they?

Cup Day On-course down $224097

Show Day Off Course down $297683

Show Day On Course down $48430

However it's much better to put out a Press Release saying total Turnover on Cup Day was up isn't it?

Well attendance was down from 20,000+ to 12,000-odd so how was on course turnover ever going to be anything but way down? To turn an upswing on total turnover on the day is the best they could have hoped for.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Jonny Longshot said:

Well attendance was down from 20,000+ to 12,000-odd so how was on course turnover ever going to be anything but way down? To turn an upswing on total turnover on the day is the best they could have hoped for.

You make some worthy comments mate. You are right about decreased crowd numbers. I think the club did well with a significant amount of on-course betting, enough to make ends meet for the season.

1 hour ago, Jonny Longshot said:

Hi Jonny

I'm well aware that the On Course crowd was restricted to 12,000

I think all readers knew that

My point was that the Spin doctors are at play, that's why the Topic heading was "Selective Reporting"

They issue a Press Release saying "total T/O on Cup Day was up"

Did you see a Press Release stating "total T/O on Show Day was down"?

No, you didn't

I would bet the if the Cup Day Off Course had been up, but the total overall was down, that the Press Release would have been "Off Course T/O on Cup Day was up"

I still worry for the future. Disregarding Covid, the emphasis on Off Course T/O, aligned with bulk funding of Clubs, will see efforts to promote On Course attendance wither, and one day it will bite us in the bum so to speak

Mikie

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mikeynz said:

I guess if you run lots of average racedays which attract limited interest then the clubs will get less stakes money, does it really matter,that's the big question,I guess its supply and demand,if stakes drop to 5000,will owners/trainers still bother,that remains to be seen gee at present they are struggling to run one meeting a week in the north yet Canterbury are running in some cases 2 or 3 do they need that many?

If they run less meetings mikeynz where are they going to get the extra funds from to give to the ATC?

Mikie