Bit Of A Yarn

Another one gone

Freda

2 hours ago, Freda said:

I see Matty Cameron has pulled pin.

Tell us more. 

I saw and spoke to him and his partner at the Te Aroha trials 1 December and wondered why he wasn’t riding there. (Didn’t ask him though as I thought that he may have been suspended)

Anyway he has ridden since so what is going on?

Maybe family life now means more.....just guessing!

2 hours ago, Dark Beau said:

Tell us more. 

I saw and spoke to him and his partner at the Te Aroha trials 1 December and wondered why he wasn’t riding there. (Didn’t ask him though as I thought that he may have been suspended)

And Christmas dinner!

2 hours ago, curious said:

And Christmas dinner!

Peobably both...can't blame him 

It seems he is struggling to maintain interest and total commitment, which he feels owners are entitled to ' when you look at the money they are running for ' .

In other words the amateurish show that is now NZ racing is hard to get enthusiastic about.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Freda said:

Peobably both...can't blame him 

It seems he is struggling to maintain interest and total commitment, which he feels owners are entitled to ' when you look at the money they are running for ' .

In other words the amateurish show that is now NZ racing is hard to get enthusiastic about.

He sounds like a lot of others in the sport to be fair who can blame him. One of the few better senior riders riding outside of the cartels , so only go to strengthen their crushing grip on the sport.

Only a few more days till they start telling everyone how great shape the industry is in look at the Ellerslie carnival, that usually lasts till about post Karaka sales.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Huey said:

He sounds like a lot of others in the sport to be fair who can blame him. One of the few better senior riders riding outside of the cartels , so only go to strengthen their crushing grip on the sport.

Only a few more days till they start telling everyone how great shape the industry is in look at the Ellerslie carnival, that usually lasts till about post Karaka sales.

Yes , Mr Te Akau on NZTR talking up the industry and how much stakes are going to improve going forward , has nothing vested in saying this so good on him .

22 minutes ago, nomates said:

Yes , Mr Te Akau on NZTR talking up the industry and how much stakes are going to improve going forward , has nothing vested in saying this so good on him .

Trouble is, he has been saying the same for several years now, and not on his own either.  I'm glad we aren't all holding our breath.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nomates said:

He always comes out with that line a few weeks before the sales.......has a vested interest in selling horses.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Dark Beau said:

Tell us more. 

Firstly you can still ride at the trials when you are suspended. Looking at the trial results on the NZTR website he rode a couple of Baker - Forsman runners there. 

I note comments have been made about the number and quality of Matt's rides in the last couple of years  I have no idea why that should be the case;   however, another rider who was kicking goals everywhere in the last few years has also has ben very quiet- by her standards - namely Sam Collett.

I see she has been doing an interior design course with a view to 'life after riding'  - very sensible of her - and wonder whether her drop off in form/opportunity might precipitate a similar action?

Can't blame these riders at all.  The work,travel, and diet control which is part of life for most must be very hard to keep doing.

The choice to up stakes and move over the ditch, while attractive, isn't possible for some, and it is a very big pond to swim around in.

11 hours ago, Freda said:

I note comments have been made about the number and quality of Matt's rides in the last couple of years  I have no idea why that should be the case;   however, another rider who was kicking goals everywhere in the last few years has also has ben very quiet- by her standards - namely Sam Collett.

I see she has been doing an interior design course with a view to 'life after riding'  - very sensible of her - and wonder whether her drop off in form/opportunity might precipitate a similar action?

Can't blame these riders at all.  The work,travel, and diet control which is part of life for most must be very hard to keep doing.

The choice to up stakes and move over the ditch, while attractive, isn't possible for some, and it is a very big pond to swim around in.

Good friend of mine was an app in the 40s/50s.He recalls travelling by Bristol Freighter to the Winter Cup meeting in CHCH.He says despite being underneath horse blankets the cold was nearly unbearable.

In the summer he used to put wollen jumpers on and spend Friday afternoons in a car in the blazing sun and in the winter visiting businesses with boilers and asking them if he could sit in the boiler room.

15 hours ago, Freda said:

Not sure I follow you here Freda.

Sam is currently in 3rd place on the premiership. Last season she finished 3rd, the season prior she was 4th. She won the premiership in 2017/18 and the season before that was 6th. 

6 hours ago, All The Aces said:

Not sure I follow you here Freda.

Sam is currently in 3rd place on the premiership. Last season she finished 3rd, the season prior she was 4th. She won the premiership in 2017/18 and the season before that was 6th. 

Fair comment...I am a bit of an admirer of Sam, and it has been noted by some followers that she seems to be a bit under the radar at the moment.

Was just wondering if her training in a new direction might portend a change?   Hope not, we don't need any more reduction in available skills.