Bit Of A Yarn

New Years Eve Selections - Looks like a beauty meeting - Should we do teams as well as individuals?

Right - here we go, the final day for the All Stars, Fields are out. Will we do individuals, as well as teams? How will this work? A ladder thing - like in sports eg tennis/squash, or just solely points. Looks like a few nice clashes to end the year off. 

I will study and then make my selections. 

R1  Emma Frost

R2  Riveered

R3  Beyond Words

R4  Kings Landing

R5  Darling Me                     (who is T williams? lol......)

R6  Mach Little Soaky

R7  Shan Noble

R8  Sundees Son                (sorry to MM hope you win)

R9  Spankem                       (Amazing Dream, Ashley Locaz Trifecta @30-1) go close

R10  Cowboys N Bandits    ( afterall Tony did marry a Purdon ! the lovely Suzanne) 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 5:00 PM, Chief Stipe said:

Thanks Karrots.  I'll put up some selections however they'll be most likely crap as I tend to follow the Thoroughbred form more closely.

Hahaha is the kiwi way to go in losing from the start ? com'on Chief , put in the big ones and you could be VERRY ELLEEGANT and PROBABEEL do very well !!!!!!

• Haha 1

Shall we do points again, 3 win, 2 2nd, 1 3rd. And a ladder. Could be like a grading round to see where we place on ladder? 

So it could end like for eg below - then if anyone wants to challenge anyone on the ladder to take their spot they must put in a challenge, but challenges can only be made once a week & you can only challenge a person up to 3 spots higher than you only. At the end of season, the person at top of ladder wins, and also could be a 2nd & 3rd place. If others want to join in, they can but can only challenge the bottom ranks. You have to work your way up the ladder. Or could be just points, the only thing is if 1 person has plenty of starts by default they win. Hence ladder might be better ... Thoughts? Name for ladder (BOAY ladder series challenge) or something? Chief could also put up the prizes that we are playing for to get others to be more keen and give us the season dates. Could also be a prize for who held the Rank 1 for the longest.

Rank 1 Grams

Rank 2 Chief

Rank 3 Karrots

Edited by Karrots

Great fields at Auckland. Could be the final time that the All Stars race at Alexandra Park?

R1 - Mountain Mass

R2 - Raven Bromac

R3 - Beyond Words

R4 - Kelvinz Luck

R5 - Bettor Twist

R6 - Kango

R7 - Alladin

R8 - Bolt For Brilliance

R9 - Ashley Locaz

R10 - New Tricks

Happy New Year...

• Like 1

M Guerin, J Teaz, J Tuner, J Smith have their selections out up on HRNZ. We can see how we go against them. Maybe like how the Jewels points is, it has beside a horse WT (out of training - or withdrawn), be interesting to see how we go against them. (If it ends up being just the 4 of us, we could combine our team points vs their team points.). Just for fun.

We could include J Teaz on our ladder as he is a poster, seems to have a sense of humour too 😄

I have some ideas Chief on prizes. You know you could get sponsorship for prizes, or vouchers from advertises on here, or you could approach Sires for eg Sweet Lou and say hey would you run a free service to winner of our BOAY selections and in return free advertising on here, or we can subtly promote your stallion, so no-one knows. And no I just post about Sweet Lou, as I have been following him for 2 years now. 

Great prizes would get more people play the game. Also be a fantastic reward for winners, should there be some great prizes up for grabs. Some people that have stopped posting eg Mikie could join in on this section then, maybe even Happy could too. 

Just thoughts and ideas. I can tally up everyones points at the end or most likely be on 1 Jan. Not sure I will be able to watch all races tomorrow evening. 

Always keen to have a go so here are my selections. Well done Karrots in initiating a picking comp. Keep up the enthusiasm. 

R1   Monkie Selphie

R2  Shezadeal

R3  Beyond Words

R4  Kings Landing

R5  Bettor Twist

R6  Taipo

R7  B D Joe

R8  Sundees Son

R9  Amazing Dream

R10 Bettor Listen

Not horses I would back most of them but my top selections. A great night of racing combinded with Melton where there are 12 G1s on the card. 

• Like 1

Great Harewood, wow had no idea re Melton, see Ladies in Red is in 9 from 9. 

If we get 3 more posters selections, that would be 3 teams of 4 (2 boay teams + 1 expert selector team). Plus an individual ladder to start. Challenges could be only once every 2 weeks, once a week may get a bit OTT. Hmm will have to figure it out as to what works best ...  

Season could end 31 July 2021 to match horseys. 

All Stars last dance, how many winners will they have tomorrow. 

13 minutes ago, Karrots said:

Great Harewood, wow had no idea re Melton, see Ladies in Red is in 9 from 9. 

Yes some  outstanding racing at Melton similar to our Jewels except they had to go though lots of qualifying heats.  Some outstanding horses running in what will be very fast and competetive racing. Non more so than Ladies in Red who is an absolute star in the making. 

Im picking the As will win at least 3 and maybe 4

Ok we have 8 Milo-Karrots-Gamms-Harewood-Davis-Teaz-Roman-Chief - Chief last day to put your selections forward 😁

Team 1 - Teaz-Guerin-Turner-Smith

Team 2 - Karrots-Gamms-Harewood-Roman

Team 3 Chief-Davis-Milo- (need 1 more poster for team 3)

For teams, wonder if we should count all points collectively or just count the most winners per team ... ? 

Individuals will be points your selection can earn points for 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

Another thought for a prize if it is too tricky to get a service, is too ask for a credit eg $500, Camb gave winners $500 for a fixed win bet. 

Could approach stud/studs and ask for a $500 credit in exchange for advertising - either direct or indirect advertising to the value of $500 for example. This credit could be used to breed or for a purchase at weanling sales for example. I would target the new sires, sires that studs are keen to get hooves on ground.

Great Chief. Another idea is Gavel House. Could approach them ask for a say $300-$500 gift voucher - have 1 year to redeem. For them they still collect the salers fee charge which is approx $200. They would have a marketing budget, prob smaller than the studs, approach it as well for the sale horse x for example you will get your standard horse fee $200 from seller, but just look at it like you won't collect the commission from it eg $300 whatever it is. That will be a gift voucher or credit to the winner. For them they get a new buyer that may not have brought from them, it costs them no up-front cash, it just costs them 1 horse commission at end of sale. For you Chief and site you get a nice prize for BOAY selectors, and Gavel can get some direct or indirect advertising. I know of twice now the term Gavel House has been used in a sentence on here, eg I have said it, and Forbs too. I said I was off to go watch the sale close. 

There will be plenty more other win-win opportunities for prizes. These are just off top of my head. 

Thinking the comp to go over just say 6 months to keep people interested and not drag out too long. Then comp have a break for 6 months then start the next comp over the same timeframe 6 months again and hope to get some of the same sponsors or prizes. 

Id have a prize for the winner, but also a prize draw, for people that have taken part, must take part in selections say 2 or 3 times and you go in draw. So even if you don't win selections you still have a chance to win a great prize by draw for participation. I'd give the winner the choice of which prize they want, and work down. So that people get a prize that works for them. 

These are just thoughts, open to others ideas and Chiefs yours too. Be cool if would could seriously get this going with 1 or 2 fab prizes up for grabs. Could pin the leader ladder board at the top of the harness selections table too. 

More ideas for prize/prizes

All in exchange for direct or indirect advertising

Breeding voucher - eg NISBA will give Alex Park filly of year 2020 winner voucher.

Put up cash for a betting voucher (similar to how Camb did), could paypal the winners prize to maintain privacy.

Some other ideas could approach syndicates to receive a gift syndicate buy in, so then the winner just needs to make monthly payments. But doesn't have that bigger initial buy in cost. In return for advertising the syndicate gets another member of syndicate, who potentially could buy into future syndicates.

Could approach a trainer for a a discount in training fees for say 6 months - if they do a good job, then the person would have no reason to not continue using that trainer. 

See Chief lots of options for good prizes - you just have to select which ones to go for and work it 😁

Race 1 Mountain Mass

Race 2 Shezadeal

Race 3 Beyond Words

Race 4 Kelvins Luck

Race 5Darling Me

Race 6 Kango

Race 7 Aladdin

Race 8 Majestic Man

Race 9 Copy That

Race 10 Better Listen

Done in a hurry but hopefully the picks are actually matched to the right race,good horse but fields rather small.

And a tip for you Karrots,a good one for all the females is,a carrot a day keeps the cobwebs away😛

• Haha 1

🥁 Name of the team game is to beat the expert selector Team 1

Team 3 Chief-Davis-Milo-Richie-MikeyNZ (will count the top 4 scores of the 5)

Individual ladder will be created tomorrow to make a start after point count - Good luck - May the force be with you. 

Karrots-Gamms-Harewood-Roman-Chief-Davis-Richie-MikeyNZ-Teaz (9 posters so far)

28 minutes ago, Karrots said:

🥁 Name of the team game is to beat the expert selector Team 1

Team 3 Chief-Davis-Milo-Richie-MikeyNZ (will count the top 4 scores of the 5)

Individual ladder will be created tomorrow to make a start after point count - Good luck - May the force be with you. 

Karrots-Gamms-Harewood-Roman-Chief-Davis-Richie-MikeyNZ-Teaz (9 posters so far)

Off they go Karrots  ! and YOU would of done very well to box your TEAM 2 three team-mates selections in a trifecta R1. !! (Gammalite, Harewood and Roman trifecta special !!!!....) who are these team 1 experts ????  lol.......

you'd be $600 richer. !!!  very nice. (i didn't get Tri , but had a sly fiver each way on the grey horse Emma) 

so cracked a rum already and ready for some ALLstars magic ! to say ''Au Revoir ' to Mark and Nat. 

• Like 1

Karrots !!! We needed you for race 2 ! lol....... hehe The SWEET LOU horse won it. !! from the 7 gate too ! (no easy feat). Numbers 1 ,2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 all Bettors Delight's BUT Sweet Lou too good.

Your filly more valueable already !! lol.... BUT Team 2 needed your OUTLAW MAN selection ?.....lol hehehe

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Off they go Karrots  ! and YOU would of done very well to box your TEAM 2 three team-mates selections in a trifecta R1. !! (Gammalite, Harewood and Roman trifecta special !!!!....) who are these team 1 experts ????  lol.......

you'd be $600 richer. !!!  very nice. (i didn't get Tri , but had a sly fiver each way on the grey horse Emma) 

so cracked a rum already and ready for some ALLstars magic ! to say ''Au Revoir ' to Mark and Nat. 

Oh yes see you did pick the grey. Well done, we need it as I am doing like dogs balls. Should of kept to my Sweet Lous & would have had the winner in R2. 

Expert selectors are mainly journalists, Iv taken screen shots of their selections.

Still more racing action to come. I can watch only 2-3 more. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gammalite said:

Karrots !!! We needed you for race 2 ! lol....... hehe The SWEET LOU horse won it. !! from the 7 gate too ! (no easy feat). Numbers 1 ,2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 all Bettors Delight's BUT Sweet Lou too good.

Your filly more valueable already !! lol.... BUT Team 2 needed your OUTLAW MAN selection ?.....lol hehehe

Yeah thats what I just said re Sweet Lou. He's a boy not a girl Gamms 😁