Bit Of A Yarn

New TAB NZ Advert on Trackside Imploring Us to Bet With Them rather than Offshore Agencies

Chief Stipe

5 minutes ago, curious said:

Not a great excuse when fields were out last Thursday.

Sorry I forgot the sarcasm font.  But what you are doing is highlighting where they could get an edge as the overseas bookies don't have any odds up either.  But it would be too hard for our bookies to look at the weather forecast and draw up an enticing book this far out.

41 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Sorry I forgot the sarcasm font.  But what you are doing is highlighting where they could get an edge as the overseas bookies don't have any odds up either.  But it would be too hard for our bookies to look at the weather forecast and draw up an enticing book this far out.

Why don't they do that? This is when they could get away with putting up a 128% market. No competition at all.

2 minutes ago, curious said:

Why don't they do that? This is when they could get away with putting up a 128% market. No competition at all.

I hear you but TAB NZ obviously doesn't!  What do you expect though when they don't have wagering experts in the top exec positions just career bureaucrats and racing administrators.  

But someone would actually have to do some work instead of relying on the system generated odds from the Paddy Power/Open Bet system.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I hear you but TAB NZ obviously doesn't!  What do you expect though when they don't have wagering experts in the top exec positions just career bureaucrats and racing administrators.  

But someone would actually have to do some work instead of relying on the system generated odds from the Paddy Power/Open Bet system.

Isn't that part of the problem. The system generated odds are being generated by competitors for the same punter losses? Fail to see how that can work.

Rule 2 (a) Truthful Presentation    

Gambling advertisements must not mislead or be likely to mislead, deceive or confuse consumers, abuse their trust or exploit their lack of knowledge. This includes by implication, inaccuracy, ambiguity, exaggeration, unrealistic claim, omission, false representation or otherwise.

If Australian trifecta pools and NZ Quaddies are not included in the new betting commingling agreement (currently they are not) then given the above rule        I think the Advertising Standards Authority Complaints Board chair would determine that there are grounds to proceed to the Board on a possible breach of the Code's rule.

If you proceed with a complaint you  just have to try and simplify it as well as you can as no doubt most if not all of the ASA Board members won't be very knowledgeable regarding betting.

I haven't seen the advert (there is a God :)) but on reading the above posts it would seem the advert would suggest to customers that commingling relates to all tote pools here and in Australia. Tote co-mingled pools would in a perfect wagering world cover - win,place,quinellas,trifecta's,doubles,trebles,quaddies,first 4, pick 6 win, pick 6 place. 10 bet types so if 2 are not commingled the Advert is offering 20% less than what one would expect.

1. It's misleading                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       2.. Confuse's customers as to thinking aol pools are covered in commingling                                                                                                                                       3.Exploits customers lack of knowledge                                                                                                                                                                                                 4. Implies inaccuracy,exaggeration & false representation with all the pools not co-mingled.      

Commingling of betting pools is defined as 'the process where one totalisator organisation combines its wagering pool with another to create one common dividend. With a bigger betting pool , customers can enjoy greater dividend stability and potentially better dividends.

If the Trackside advert doesn't stipulate that a certain type of betting pool isn't commingled and there is no reference to that fact on the webite or in the Agency when a customer places a bet then it has to be false and misleading advertising.

Typical of the NZ TAB pleading with customers to 'come back and bet with us' but failing in it's customer care of duty to make them aware that the commingling doesn't actually apply to all tote betting products. Non transparent or deceitful you take your pick but double selections accepted. 

Good luck Curious if you take them to task. I have you at $1.20 to win.

Just to add, Bonus Bets? 
Seems the TAB are still offering them, not as much as 6 months ago, but still offering. I know from my betting, sometimes they do get money from me with their double up bonus bets, or bonus back for 2nd, 3rd & 4th. But it is only a couple of races each day. 
Compare that to Sportsbet today, they offer bonus bets back on every race to run 2nd & 3rd, at the 3 main meetings? You know where my aussie money is going

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

You expect Thad to be working on a Saturday?  The apprentice bookie will be working on Monday as it's a public holiday.

Sadly, like all that remain, what Thad lacks in competence he more than makes up with obsequiousness

23 minutes ago, curious said:

I'll do it but I need the ad from someone please.

Email them.  I'm sure they will send you a copy.  I've searched high and low and can't find it online.

Seriously though when I posted this topic I thought that maybe I was the only one who cringed when viewing the advert.  Reassuring that many see it the same way!

Again it might be me but there seems to be more and more of the syrupy brush of kindness creeping into the presentation of this sport.  

It seems every week the presenters are rolling out so and so has died or the line "oh great to see such and such win this Group race as they have put so much into racing...."

All very nice but what about some analysis pre and post race instead of the self congratulatory pats on the back?

It seems every week the presenters are rolling out so and so has died or the line "oh great to see such and such win this Group race as they have put so much into racing...."

This is what they do in the US. You can't watch ANY sport game without the commentators mentioning a death or a cause.

It's cancer, for lack of a better term. People just want to watch sport, they don't want to feel bad for someone in the process. And sure, if there is a good story attached to the winner, go for it. But don't take away from the excitement with a sob story.

Before they started giving their sob story please bet with us advertisement they should be dropping the deposite card transaction fee on TAB accounts. If you want us to stop betting with overseas outfits then offer the same customer service to your customers (no charge from Aussie bookmakers). Another past idiot of a CEO the ex banker Chris Bayliss had the fee introduced during his time. It produced revenue of a few million money which they needed to fill the void so the poor customers helping out  to pay for their incompetence.

Fees to one company $2.15 or $0.00 at the other on a $20 deposite. The bottom line is if the customer can get a better deal on an item at one store in town than another to save money its a no brainer where he is going to shop. Punters don't even have to walk down the road to get it just a push of the button. Its not a lot of money eg the fee but it the principal who wants to pay extra just to most times lose your money. 

Punters want good customer service and performance as in a decent web site not a sob story with the line come and bet with us please.

Up your game you clowns.    

Edited by NZRacing
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, NZRacing said:

If you have Sky you can freeze the advert go back and record on phone or i-pad and then send to e-mail.

Don't have Sky. Always keep at least 50 cents in my TAB account so I can watch online.  Speaking of that - does anyone else have problems with buffering when using their Smart Phone?  I have ample bandwidth at home but some times it is just impossible to watch on small screen mode.  Hardly ever able to watch on full screen mode.  Plus the HD streaming is so unnecessary and just consumes excess bandwidth for no visual gain.

10 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Don't have Sky. Always keep at least 50 cents in my TAB account so I can watch online.  Speaking of that - does anyone else have problems with buffering when using their Smart Phone?  I have ample bandwidth at home but some times it is just impossible to watch on small screen mode.  Hardly ever able to watch on full screen mode.  Plus the HD streaming is so unnecessary and just consumes excess bandwidth for no visual gain.

You keep at least 50cents in your account,does that mean you ,like I lose and not win? I actually do better than you,I leave just one cent,if I'm taking a last bet I always leave a cent, so I can watch..........incidentally a lot of smartphones may not be up to streaming effectively,I find on mine the coverage is stop start,you might blame the website but it's probably other factors.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

If you don't have sky how do you get tv

1 minute ago, mikeynz said:

incidentally a lot of smartphones may not be up to streaming effectively,I find on mine the coverage is stop start,you might blame the website but it's probably other factors.

I have a Samsung 10S+ ....I can guarantee your average punter doesn't have one with that spec.  I've tried all sorts of things to improve it.  It is ther broadcasting set up not the phone nor my internet connection.  Hell I can watch live streaming of TVNZ on my phone no problem.  The protocols they are using are totally inappropriate for the service.  Have a look at the number of Megabytes you consume if you watch a full day's racing online. It's ludicrous and yet again shows no understanding of their client base.