Bit Of A Yarn

New TAB NZ Advert on Trackside Imploring Us to Bet With Them rather than Offshore Agencies

Chief Stipe

4 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

I still have sky as such,18bucks a month and get Freeview channels,it might be the website,on the odd time I try to listen through site it stops all the time,the Rova app seems better.

The issue is the broadcast in state of the art HD way beyond what most of us either can physically see or our access devices and networks can handle.  It is lunacy!

Not only that but TAB NZ is paying through the nose for this broadcasting contract.  It was one of two (3?) contracts that has driven them to the wall.

Why have "world leading" High Definition broadcasting of below word standard racing?  Just because we can see better pictures (if we have the access devices and network) does it make the "product" any better?  No it doesn't.  I really don't need to be able to count the number of hairs on a horse's nose but I do want to see an uninterrupted broadcast of a race on my phone wherever I might be.

I doubt they even bother to do customer interviews or user testing.

• Like 3

I emailed them detailing what they did to me, asked them is that their business mantra......no reply.. They really shouldn't be in business, trading while insolvent is only one of their problems, unless the Gov legislates to prohibit Kiwis betting with overseas operators they will end up in the inevitable. You'll hear me cheering from Stradbroke Is.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Nostradamus said:

I have read the the boys get paid brigade all lumped on to a cricket bet the TAB closed betting and refunded all the bets. Surely this is criminal as the feature sporting event was played and the bet would have come in. After reading that artical I will never use the TAB again!!

Do you have a link to the article?

43 minutes ago, curious said:

1st time i've seen the ad and have no problem with it , but you have to provide the service to back it up . I'm a simple win punter so don't have any real problems with the site for my simple use but obviously from hearing and reading the issues that others have had there are obvious problems . 

So simple message to the TAB management would be , get your house in order and you wont have to do these type of adverts . Not hard .

48 minutes ago, nomates said:

1st time i've seen the ad and have no problem with it , but you have to provide the service to back it up . I'm a simple win punter so don't have any real problems with the site for my simple use but obviously from hearing and reading the issues that others have had there are obvious problems . 

So simple message to the TAB management would be , get your house in order and you wont have to do these type of adverts . Not hard .

I don't have a major problem with the ad either if that's what they want to do, however, I question the veracity of the $80m figure and wonder how that was arrived at and whether it meets advertising standards.

Also, if I do say $1m per year of turnover with overseas operators and almost never watch trackside, what is the use of it even if it is effective? Not much use if it doesn't reach me. I'd never seen it either till it was posted on the NZTAB site.

On 5/01/2021 at 12:55 PM, Chief Stipe said:

Do you have a link to the article?

I think they all got on the first day cricket at Christchurch recently, first day of test. 
From what i remember, TAB had odds at around $3 odd for 3 wickets to be taken first day, instead of the first session.

All the boys got on, all over fb, tab caught wind of it, refunded all bets. Its pretty stink, but they do state they can cancel bets when it suits, sadly the poor old punters do not have this luxury.

On 10/01/2021 at 1:09 PM, Newmarket said:

I think they all got on the first day cricket at Christchurch recently, first day of test. 
From what i remember, TAB had odds at around $3 odd for 3 wickets to be taken first day, instead of the first session.

All the boys got on, all over fb, tab caught wind of it, refunded all bets. Its pretty stink, but they do state they can cancel bets when it suits, sadly the poor old punters do not have this luxury.

With all the various options, events, odds etc its so easy to slip an anomaly through. I just can't see how an auditor could pick up some corruption where the bookies conspire with a punter.

Many moons ago I mean many I worked for the auditors of Wellington Racing Club. We went to considerable effort to see the late payment and lost ticket payments were above board. It was just win,place, doubles for a days racing. 

It all boils down to the fact the bookie system is of no benefit to racing, Thats something Hong Kong Jockey realized from day one,

• Like 1