Bit Of A Yarn

How the WRC STUFFED the Telegraph HANDICAP

One word

WFA!

So the ICONIC NZ Handicaps like the Telegraph and Railway were legendary in providing sensational even racing with large fields...usually 18 across the straight legish 6 on the Champagne turf...

Then the Breeders got hold of the Pattern Committee, when the International rating dropped, and the Set Weights and F All Penalties were introduced as a sop....

..but that didn't help at all

So WFA it was and the best usually wins...and what a bore fest it was...

They might as well told everyone to stay home and well just put the money straight into Avantage's Bank Account

WTF cares if it's a G 1, apart from the Breeders?

We have wayyy too many G 1's anyway 

Listen Bernie...just knock some heads together and reintroduce our ICONIC Handicaps...like the Donny and the Epsom in Oz

...can you imagine the Aussies getting rid of those?  There'd be riots in the Capitol if they did...

• Like 1

I know I tend to disagree with you often Thomass but I have to do so again.   I agree that the Breeders have stuffed up our pattern of racing especially with the 2kg female allowance.  The fact is the problem is deeper than just the conditions for a particular race.  It is our handicapping system in general.  Even if you switched those WFA's back to Handicaps you will find that Avantage would still have an advantage (nice pun eh?).

The system drives the good hardened handicappers out of the game.  Who wants to see Rating 80 horses carrying 50kg's winning our Premier Races?

As for Avantage's win yesterday?  Would have taken a bloody good horse to beat her!

• Like 1

Agree re. handicapping system.

But, the purist in me, regardless, doesn't think that Grp 1 or 2  should be attached to a handicap.   Grp 3, listed, perhaps.    The piss up would still happen on Melbourne Cup day irrespective of what rating it had.  The money is huge and the best that can be obtained, turn up for the race.   It certainly isn't about stud value, many competitors are geldings anyway and it has been long thought that staying handicaps won by an entire will see that horse relegated to National Hunt status.    Even Vadamos has joined that queue.

To quote   handicaps are for betting ,  WFA is to determine best of breed/crop.    Different aims all the way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Freda said:

Agree re. handicapping system.

But, the purist in me, regardless, doesn't think that Grp 1 or 2  should be attached to a handicap.   Grp 3, listed, perhaps.    The piss up would still happen on Melbourne Cup day irrespective of what rating it had.  The money is huge and the best that can be obtained, turn up for the race.   It certainly isn't about stud value, many competitors are geldings anyway and it has been long thought that staying handicaps won by an entire will see that horse relegated to National Hunt status.    Even Vadamos has joined that queue.

To quote   handicaps are for betting ,  WFA is to determine best of breed/crop.    Different aims all the way.

Would it work with WFA races only being for fillies,mares,colts and entires given WFA is for best  of breed and crop.?

47 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I know I tend to disagree with you often Thomass but I have to do so again.   I agree that the Breeders have stuffed up our pattern of racing especially with the 2kg female allowance.  The fact is the problem is deeper than just the conditions for a particular race.  It is our handicapping system in general.  Even if you switched those WFA's back to Handicaps you will find that Avantage would still have an advantage (nice pun eh?).

The system drives the good hardened handicappers out of the game.  Who wants to see Rating 80 horses carrying 50kg's winning our Premier Races?

As for Avantage's win yesterday?  Would have taken a bloody good horse to beat her!

Oh...utter CRAP

Havent you seen the "hardened handicappers" winning holus f in bolus these days?

GENEROUSLY and I mean GENEROUSLY treated from the top of the 'handicap'...not mares either

Avantage would have been giving at least 8 kgs away to the bottom of a Handicap...

WFA racing produces the best agin the best with the very best almost always winning given all things being equal

When it comes to generating income...HANDICAP racing is where it's at

Everyone knows that.....and getting rid of ICONIC Handicaps to maintain a fake Group of very few superior horses such as MELODY BELLE and AVANTAGE simply turning up to win, almost every time, is a borefest....

...with massive turnover drops...just to satisfy the Breeders lust

The problem with making these races handicaps is that we have a large gap between our very best and the rest , plus our pool of the very best is not that big . So Avantage , with her record , would be weighted out of it and the G1 would be left to be fought out by a bunch of nice , but not top class horses , then could it still be called a genuine G1 . 

So we have to have these races at WFA or SW&P's to keep these top horses racing here .

I remember when our top sprints and staying races had 10 or more horses of the quality of Avantage running in them .

Feeling old .

• Like 1

I agree its a rock and hard place really as to how racing in this country is developing. 

What confuses me is how a 4 times G1 winning mare can be effectively rated the same as a G2 winning gelding on the rating system. i.e. Avantage 109 , TM 105 , mares allowance in Open handicap carry the same weight.

2 hours ago, nomates said:

Mop , Soliloquy , Balmerino , Ajasco , Good Lord .

Crickey i could be hear all day .

Mustn't forget my boy hood crush , Kings Romance , ah i'm getting all tingly .

Interesting Kings Romance never won the Telegraph. Having seen every Telegraph either in person or TV since 1963 I would rate Sharivari as the most notable.

Since the race went WFA I get the feeling the quality of the winner has diminished. Always thought Enzo's Lad winning twice was a fluke.

27 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

Interesting Kings Romance never won the Telegraph. Having seen every Telegraph either in person or TV since 1963 I would rate Sharivari as the most notable.

He won a Thibenzole at Te Rapa and the George Adams at Trentham .

Looked after Sharivari in his later years at stud , lovely old gentleman .

• Like 4

4 hours ago, nomates said:

He won a Thibenzole at Te Rapa and the George Adams at Trentham .

Looked after Sharivari in his later years at stud , lovely old gentleman .

I used to see Kings Romance doing trackwork. The elderly guy who owned him loved a big punt. Distinctly remember one morning  Malcolm Smith crowing how smart he was putting an apprentice up freshup which meant most punters thought he might need a run.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And add The Thorndon as well...

Completely f'd a previously superb Iconic Handicap....to Set Weight and F All Penalty

THE MITIGATOR giving MELODY BELLE a Kg with 8 runners

F me....just deliver the Cheque now and don't even bother turning up to waste good people's time...

This attempt to compete with the rest of the World trying to prove ALL G 1's are seemless has to STOP NOW

We're not competitive and haven't been for years in G 1 strength...end of

Edited by Thomass
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Thomass said:

And add The Thorndon as well...

Completely f'd a previously superb Iconic Handicap....to Set Weight and F All Penalty

THE MITIGATOR giving MELODY BELLE a Kg with 8 runners

F me....just deliver the Cheque now and don't even bother turning up to waste good people's time...

This attempt to compete with the rest of the World trying to prove ALL G 1's are seemless has to STOP NOW

We're not competitive and haven't been for years in G 1 strength...end of

Agree , shows a complete misunderstanding of the fundamentals of placing horses, the race is a joke this year.

• Like 3

Now i've just read that Super Strike wasn't even considered for the Thorndon , why ? , would have been so badly off under the conditions .

How many times has the Anniversary winner gone on and done the double , used to be one of the highlights of the carnival .

On top of that why do they still call one race the Duoro cup , it used to hold a special place for promising young horses on the up , no more just another rating race with a similar stake to the others , pointless .

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

6 minutes ago, nomates said:

The crowd size is going to be interesting , first two days beyond dismal and i think the first days racing was better than this week . I'm sure the piss up artists will be out but how many others ? 

Not that long ago you could hardly move on cup day .

You'd have to think this is the day they'd go to , still a few races there of interest but the big 2 this year are a hard look.

• Like 1

The Excitement on the day was the anticipation of the big double and the rest of the races were just filling in the gaps for most , but now although there is some interest of the clash of MB and RoW , what else is there , the fillies race probably holds the most interest for me as there a couple of fillies i think are better than average , but the rest of the card is , YAWN .

We're going to Wgtn for the weekend and the intention was to stop off for a few races before heading into town , but now not so sure now , we have to pay now that we don't hold any licences , i don't begrudge paying but gees not great value for money for mine .

Might just put my bets on before leaving home and recording them to watch on Sunday .

At least i have great memories of times gone . I still have a picture in my head of , Blue Blood , Mop and Panagor flashing across the line and the crowd buzzing because no one knew who had got it . AAAHHH memories .

• Like 1