Bit Of A Yarn

Has any other NZ Trainer won 21 two year old races in a season in NZ?

Chief Stipe

On The Bubbles winning the Manawatu Sires Produce today notched up the 21st 2 yr old race win of the season for trainer Jamie Richards.  Surely that must be a record?

I dont care what anyone says but to do that requires some talent regardless of how many or how good the cattle are in the stable.

Although I hate side winkers on a racehorse.

Theyll do it again next year and the year after the way nzracing is going, im always amused when people like yourself are amazed by this, why? The model & money spent is a guarantee of this , Aus 2yo wins nz 2yo  G1 race, Savabeel runs 2nd ...well duh!

1 hour ago, Huey said:

im always amused when people like yourself are amazed by this, why?

Where did I say I was "amazed"?  All I did was acknowledge the fine effort and ask if it had been done before.  Why do you feel obliged to diminish the effort?

You also only reiterated what I said with regard to the numbers and quality of the purchases.

1 hour ago, Huey said:

Aus 2yo wins nz 2yo  G1 race, Savabeel runs 2nd ...well duh!

What's your point?  The "Oz 2yr old" was purchased relatively cheaply at Karaka.  Also as you know buying a Savabeel isn't a guarantee of success particularly as a 2 yr old.  Duh!

• Haha 1

Yes, outstanding effort indeed.

The buying clout of T.A  has expanded exponentially over the years, but the stock still has to be well managed.

And it most certainly is.  The timing and preparation of these youngsters' programmes is second to none. 

It has been a source of some musing ( to myself ) why other operations with access to wealthy clients haven't at least attempted to compete. 

Are they not interested in the same type of horse..?  Maybe buying more for the cup/classic market?  Looking to sell on rather than race?  Wanting to develop here then race in Aus?  All of the above?  Despite the obvious talent of Jamie Richards and the great team behind him,   where is the competition?

Surely those aspiring to success haven't all up and left our shores.

Marsh and B/F are still plying their trade, the family connection with Bjorn Baker certainly aids in the tremendous success of the B/F team,  but it surprises me just a little that they are still here.  Murray has been a vocal critic of our management for a good while. 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

On The Bubbles cost 90k , he was there for plenty of other shoppers to buy , why didn't they . Previous to that Melody Belle cost 57k , the second horse yesterday was given to them to train and had lengths on the rest . Maybe they just do it better .

Go racing spend plenty on horses to syndicate yet are miles behind TA's record , Marsh gets plenty of good blood and has plent of horses in work , why does he not get the kind of record that JR is getting ? 

At some stage you just have to bow to the fact that TA and JR and his team do it better .

If you want to get into a syndicated horse which provider do you go to , TA or Go Racing or any other syndicator , no brainer .

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Freda said:

Yes, outstanding effort indeed.

The buying clout of T.A  has expanded exponentially over the years, but the stock still has to be well managed.

And it most certainly is.  The timing and preparation of these youngsters' programmes is second to none. 

It has been a source of some musing ( to myself ) why other operations with access to wealthy clients haven't at least attempted to compete. 

Are they not interested in the same type of horse..?  Maybe buying more for the cup/classic market?  Looking to sell on rather than race?  Wanting to develop here then race in Aus?  All of the above?  Despite the obvious talent of Jamie Richards and the great team behind him,   where is the competition?

Surely those aspiring to success haven't all up and left our shores.

Marsh and B/F are still plying their trade, the family connection with Bjorn Baker certainly aids in the tremendous success of the B/F team,  but it surprises me just a little that they are still here.  Murray has been a vocal critic of our management for a good while. 

They probably know if they did attempt to compete that TA would have 5 in the race and the riding ranks in NZ being what they are they'd have to put a 4kg claimer on , after the jock who won a maiden on their 200k horse opted to ride the TA 5th choice in the race.

19 minutes ago, Huey said:

They probably know if they did attempt to compete that TA would have 5 in the race and the riding ranks in NZ being what they are they'd have to put a 4kg claimer on , after the jock who won a maiden on their 200k horse opted to ride the TA 5th choice in the race.

Bosson
Harris
Parkes
Allpress
Innes
Calder
D Johnson
C Johnson
Collett
Grylls
Colgan
Spratt
McNab
Weatherley
Cameron

Seems to be enough to cover most races.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Where did I say I was "amazed"?  All I did was acknowledge the fine effort and ask if it had been done before.  Why do you feel obliged to diminish the effort?

You also only reiterated what I said with regard to the numbers and quality of the purchases.

What's your point?  The "Oz 2yr old" was purchased relatively cheaply at Karaka.  Also as you know buying a Savabeel isn't a guarantee of success particularly as a 2 yr old.  Duh!

Chief,

Huey has got a point. There are several trainers involved at Te Akau not just Richards and most trainers set up from scratch with their hard earned.

Best to compare Richards and Te Akau with similar overseas operations. Te Akau comes out more than favourably. Many billionaires have attempted to do in 5 years  what Te Akau have done over 30 years and many have gone bust in also less than 5.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

Chief,

Huey has got a point. There are several trainers involved at Te Akau not just Richards and most trainers set up from scratch with their hard earned.

Best to compare Richards and Te Akau with similar overseas operations. Te Akau comes out more than favourably. Many billionaires have attempted to do in 5 years  what Te Akau have done over 30 years and many have gone bust in also less than 5.

The thing in TA's case is they are doing it with other people's money , their business model only works for them , the owners are just hoping to luck into one of their good ones . And in their case you have a better chance with them than any of the rest .

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

I was just thinking , i don't know if OTB or SOS are even TA's best 2yo . Imperatriz looks something a bit special , i don't know why she hasn't appeared since she done SOS on New Years day , issues obviously , but could be best of the lot on her first two starts . The win at Otaki was a bit special to .

3 minutes ago, nomates said:

I was just thinking , i don't know if OTB or SOS are even TA's best 2yo . Imperatriz looks something a bit special , i don't know why she hasn't appeared since she done SOS on New Years day , issues obviously , but could be best of the lot on her first two starts . The win at Otaki was a bit special to .

Yes issues.

As for which is best.  All moot now.  A lot of development between now and November.  As you know I have always been a fan of OTB since I spied him in the sales catalogue.  He has three year old stamped all over him.  He is very much like his sire Brazen Beau in galloping action.  Has a turn of foot and can run a sectional coupled with a professional attitude beyond his age.  Plus seems to handle a wide range of tracks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yes issues.

As for which is best.  All moot now.  A lot of development between now and November.  As you know I have always been a fan of OTB since I spied him in the sales catalogue.  He has three year old stamped all over him.  He is very much like his sire Brazen Beau in galloping action.  Has a turn of foot and can run a sectional coupled with a professional attitude beyond his age.  Plus seems to handle a wide range of tracks.

If the 2yo of TA that won at Matamata on Wednesday doesn't kick on as a 3yo , then ill give up the punt, looked special.

• Like 1

On 3/04/2021 at 8:25 PM, Chief Stipe said:

On The Bubbles winning the Manawatu Sires Produce today notched up the 21st 2 yr old race win of the season for trainer Jamie Richards.  Surely that must be a record?

I dont care what anyone says but to do that requires some talent regardless of how many or how good the cattle are in the stable.

Bill Sanders would have gone close.No records to prove this but he used to line up a 2 year old,win a couple and never be heard of again.

Always had plenty of 2 year olds.

On 3/04/2021 at 8:25 PM, Chief Stipe said:

In the 75/76 season Ballybrit won 7 races and the Sanders team had another 7 2 year olds win.How many they won i don't know.

• Like 2