Bit Of A Yarn

How can NZ compete with this?

Chief Stipe

14 hours ago, Reefton said:

I guess you could have lights that are portable so you don't have shadows across daytime racing tracks but as I have said time and time and time again - racing is the richest sport in NZ by a street but those assets(mainly in the major cities) are massively under-performing in terms of rate of return.  Turn Ellerslie into a commercial hub owned (at least significantly) by the industry(the ARC actually) so the dividends keep coming and move out of the city(Pukekohe has a railway line right there - is it linked to the city?)

Transport is a major key - these days they want to get carried there and dropped back (and I don't blame them)

The beauty of the Riccarton thing is that they have the huge payout due for that stand as well - why not strike now while the opportunity is there?(bearing in mind of course that they may have just pissed multi millions up against the wall on the all weather - I hope it works out because if it doesn't........)

You try to tell the like of Bernard this but they seem to struggle to grasp the concept of rate of return.

And the ironic thing(from my perspective) is this:

They are as keen as mustard to get rid of the small clubs(like Reefton).  If Riccarton gets its act together and ends up with a couple of hundred mill in the bank(or better still in commercial property assets making capital gain) and paying(say) $50k minimum stakes then it won't be long before nobody will want to go to the likes of Reefton with its dismal $10k purses.

So in one fell swoop you vastly improve the image and fortune of the glamour clubs and eliminate those pesky wankers (like me) firing shots from the sidelines.

To me it is blindingly simple but what is it I am missing?

52 minutes ago, Freda said:

And, to revisit the small club theme...no need [ as you said ] to forcibly close venues..market forces will do that.     But, what is wrong with a country circuit to complement the flash venue?

And still engage and reach out to the wider community?  

1 hour ago, Reefton said:

Whats more I would have two grass tracks to allow one to be rested and maybe even a Motor racing track outside the Trotting track for yet another income source

The place would bloody boom!

Agree with your thoughts regarding tracks etc, but not the motor racing,seen all those desperate attempts by racing to fit in with other activities go sour before. 

1 minute ago, Chief Stipe said:

And still engage and reach out to the wider community?  

A country circuit or the revitalization of country racing in NZ would do the reaching out and engagement itself, but they are too stupid to understand that!

2 hours ago, Huey said:

Agree with your thoughts regarding tracks etc, but not the motor racing,seen all those desperate attempts by racing to fit in with other activities go sour before. 

all my thought there is to utilize a facility that might only otherwise be used 50 or 60 days a year.  I know what you mean though but regardless of that the industry needs all the revenue it can generate 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Freda said:

And, to revisit the small club theme...no need [ as you said ] to forcibly close venues..market forces will do that.     But, what is wrong with a country circuit to complement the flash venue?

Yes Pam but there is SO much potential for the likes of Riccarton/Ellerslie/Awapuni/Alexandra Park and Addington to realise their unbelievably valuable assets and in doing so create racing that is complusive(there is nothing like huge prizes to generate interest - just look at those soccer bosses in England - having a million dollar stake or two will generate interest like never before).

The likes of Reefton/the Coast in general would never have a hope of competing (on anything other than a good day out basis) because they simply would not have the financial resources these clubs have the potential to unleash if they would only see it.

And even if the Racing Act says they take our assets if I see them strive to help themselves then I have far less objection than the current scenario where they are doing the same old same old and simply have their hands out for more dosh.

I always said market forces would close the small clubs eventually when owners and trainers stopped supporting them and committees ran out of enthusiasm(like I did years ago but am only there really because of emotional blackmail)

Edited by Reefton

12 hours ago, Reefton said:

Yes Pam but there is SO much potential for the likes of Riccarton/Ellerslie/Awapuni/Alexandra Park and Addington to realise their unbelievably valuable assets and in doing so create racing that is complusive(there is nothing like huge prizes to generate interest - just look at those soccer bosses in England - having a million dollar stake or two will generate interest like never before).

The likes of Reefton/the Coast in general would never have a hope of competing (on anything other than a good day out basis) because they simply would not have the financial resources these clubs have the potential to unleash if they would only see it.

And even if the Racing Act says they take our assets if I see them strive to help themselves then I have far less objection than the current scenario where they are doing the same old same old and simply have their hands out for more dosh.

I always said market forces would close the small clubs eventually when owners and trainers stopped supporting them and committees ran out of enthusiasm(like I did years ago but am only there really because of emotional blackmail)

We're not on different pages at all, I agree with what you say in essence.   However, I see  country circuit[s] - revamped no doubt to maximise exposure at holiday times which may differ depending on the region, with perhaps a points system culminating in a final or finals to be held at one of the metrop hubs..?    and worth decent money?

I'm only casting ideas around,  but, such options are run/held in Aus,   the Highway series comes to mind just for one example, yes, we all know they get it right, but a more modest version here could get buy-in from the regions and complement, not antagonise, the centralised model.

As for nicking assets,  the whole idea is so flawed, they are chasing peanuts compared to the value of what is currently locked away, and can only be frittered away until there is no more to grab.

• Like 2

all my thought there is to utilize a facility that might only otherwise be used 50 or 60 days a year.  I know what you mean though but regardless of that the industry needs all the revenue it can generate 

Surely you are not in favour of Strategic Business Plans now Reefton?

Still only one of the major centres has talked about addressing their issue of a stuffed Turf track that they run their Premier races on.  At the end of the day you can provide all the extra revenue earning facilities you want but then what's the point if you neglect your core business and core competency?  I'm not sure many clubs are that competent when it comes to horse racing!

Look closely at the Caulfield proposal and you will see that it is about community engagement supporting their core business - horse racing.  For example the playing fields for sports teams in the Caulfield proposal aren't focused on revenue they are focused on community engagement.  

My memories of Reefton include my dad's horses racing there (both gallopers and harness) and my playing rugby in the winter and running on the athlete track for inter-school competitions in the centre of the same race course.  

Sure look at creating other revenue streams but don't neglect your core reason for being (horse racing) and focus on community engagement.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Freda said:

I'm only casting ideas around,  but, such options are run/held in Aus,   the Highway series comes to mind just for one example, yes, we all know they get it right, but a more modest version here could get buy-in from the regions and complement, not antagonise, the centralised model.

Agreed.  If we really do have tiered racing (which we don't) then a Highway or Provincial Championship concept would be a great idea.  However sadly we are getting to a situation where you would be lucky to get a full size field of horses trained on provincial/country race tracks.  

1 hour ago, Freda said:

We're not on different pages at all, I agree with what you say in essence.   However, I see  country circuit[s] - revamped no doubt to maximise exposure at holiday times which may differ depending on the region, with perhaps a points system culminating in a final or finals to be held at one of the metrop hubs..?    and worth decent money?

As for nicking assets,  the whole idea is so flawed, they are chasing peanuts compared to the value of what is currently locked away, and can only be frittered away until there is no more to grab.

Have discussed this many times around the country circuit, I mean we copy off of Australia for everything else , why not this initiative , it would work very well. Though the push back would come from the metrop clubs as it would likely expose them particularly the 2nd tier metrop clubs via field sizes , performance etc. and of course now the problem is we will be lucky to have any country clubs left shortly, careful or they will start up this initiative and call places like Te Rapa,Hastings,Otaki,New Plymouth,Ruakaka,Wingatui,Invercargill etc country race tracks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Do they still play cricket on the infield at Trentham during the summer?  I have this lasting memory of watching my horse race at Trentham and seeing dozens of young cricketers in whites playing in the centre of the track.

What about the steeple course?  Was it there then?

I recall my erstwhile namesake rueing the introduction of the figure-eight option. 

There goes the best test of a true, staying jumper, she fretted.  If I wanted to watch an effing figure eight competition I'd go to effing pony club.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Agreed.  If we really do have tiered racing (which we don't) then a Highway or Provincial Championship concept would be a great idea.  However sadly we are getting to a situation where you would be lucky to get a full size field of horses trained on provincial/country race tracks.  

Sadly, yes.     I notice that the jumps races formerly programmed for Riverton have been deleted, along with those for Wingatui.       Timaru still has them on offer - so far - but, with Riverton and Timaru on the 'to close' list, there goes jumping.  Most of us have been aware for a while that the days of jumpers in the S.I  were numbered...so, why pay lip service?  it is only prolonging the slide to oblivion by pretending to host them at clubs that have no future [ according to the plan].

So,  yes,  the provincial competition option wouldn't fly either.     

• Like 1

If it were me in charge i would designate one country track in the SI as for jumping only encompassing a 3 month period.

Everybody would know that every 2nd or 3rd Sunday jumping races would be held on this course.Financial assistance could help travelling horses or the club concerned could supply permanent horse and staff facilities.Make the course all about eveyrthing of a equine nature.JMO.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mumbles said:

If it were me in charge i would designate one country track in the SI as for jumping only encompassing a 3 month period.

Everybody would know that every 2nd or 3rd Sunday jumping races would be held on this course.Financial assistance could help travelling horses or the club concerned could supply permanent horse and staff facilities.Make the course all about eveyrthing of a equine nature.JMO.

I agree mumbles. A dedicated jumping track in each the north, central and south regions permanently set up for all jumps cards every 2 or 3 weeks over a 3 or 4 month season. The club would have the rest of the year to restore /prepare the track for the next season. Might make a good use of tracks that are otherwise being assigned to the scrap heap. Decent but small public facilities would be essential. Could also be used for dedicated jumping trials and schooling.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, curious said:

I agree mumbles. A dedicated jumping track in each the north, central and south regions permanently set up for all jumps cards every 2 or 3 weeks over a 3 or 4 month season. The club would have the rest of the year to restore /prepare the track for the next season. Might make a good use of tracks that are otherwise being assigned to the scrap heap. Decent but small public facilities would be essential. Could also be used for dedicated jumping trials and schooling.

Wat toooo much common sense being spoken there , so tone it down abit eh .

• Like 2