Bit Of A Yarn

Innovative Programming: A flat race for Amateur Riders over 1600m becomes a Jumps Race over 2147m without Jumps.

Chief Stipe

6 minutes ago, Huey said:

A 6 horse field, who saw that coming! Just think the people that programmed that race are running our industry ffs!

Dont worry plenty of exciting 970m races on the way -yippee!!!

When I saw amateur race it did raise eyebrows at the time.

On 25/04/2021 at 11:38 AM, nomates said:

Many of them will because they get few opportunities , but for me it's time to can them , most end up looking like" Whacky races " , not a great look for our industry , although you could say they mirror our industry .

Yeah.  Amateur hour.

I'm not against amateur races in principle either, but there isn't a sufficient number of those races - IMO - to get a group of reasonably proficient riders the experience to look halfway decent.  The good ones are certainly very competent..but there just aren't enough of them.

On 25/04/2021 at 11:38 AM, nomates said:

2 hours ago, Freda said:

Yeah.  Amateur hour.

I'm not against amateur races in principle either, but there isn't a sufficient number of those races - IMO - to get a group of reasonably proficient riders the experience to look halfway decent.  The good ones are certainly very competent..but there just aren't enough of them.

Currently there are only 3 riders listed to ride in that 6 horse field. You cannot make up how inept the administration is running nzracing it just defies belief! 

Who in their right mind would bet on this race?

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Huey said:

Currently there are only 3 riders listed to ride in that 6 horse field. You cannot make up how inept the administration is running nzracing it just defies belief! 

Who in their right mind would bet on this race?

Oh there is a plan or should I say an agenda.

Just isn't particularly transparent.

Might start writing letters asking the hard questions and also some OIA requests.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Might start writing letters asking the hard questions and also some OIA requests.

From  Curious' experience,  OIA requests aren't very satisfactory either.

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Slightly off topic....but still pertaining to 'management '  ....I was told this morning by someone who had been speaking to Dean McC...that the TAB had 'made'  20 million last month.

Sound likely?

20 minutes ago, Freda said:

Slightly off topic....but still pertaining to 'management '  ....I was told this morning by someone who had been speaking to Dean McC...that the TAB had 'made'  20 million last month.

Sound likely?

Sorry, typo...Dean McK

44 minutes ago, Freda said:

Sound likely?

If , big IF , they are making that much and it's a regular thing , AND nothing is changing re stakes funding , their bullshitting . And i would suggest they are bullshitting . If they were doing that over a year we would be swimming in money , but we are still in a very small stream . 

How long since the transitional team was put in place and SFA has changed at the coal face .

I could say my business makes X every month , but after all my costs it ends at only 55% of " what i make " , and their costs are substantially higher than mine . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nomates said:

If , big IF , they are making that much and it's a regular thing , AND nothing is changing re stakes funding , their bullshitting . And i would suggest they are bullshitting . If they were doing that over a year we would be swimming in money , but we are still in a very small stream . 

How long since the transitional team was put in place and SFA has changed at the coal face .

I could say my business makes X every month , but after all my costs it ends at only 55% of " what i make " , and their costs are substantially higher than mine . 

Seems about in line with the half year which is up I believe, hopefully for their sake they can sustain it.

One thing the industry has been screaming for cost savings for years, the industry appears to have been right it doesn't take a genius to realise there was plenty of money there for savings and thus distributing to the industry? Surely, pretty obvious stuff. I'm really interested to see if they can sustain or improve betting numbers without Covid bounce & with several of the changes made in the local industry,  particularly on nzracing. Next year as a comparison with this should gauge that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Huey said:

Seems about in line with the half year which is up I believe, hopefully for their sake they can sustain it.

One thing the industry has been screaming for cost savings for years, the industry appears to have been right it doesn't take a genius to realise there was plenty of money there for savings and thus distributing to the industry? Surely, pretty obvious stuff. I'm really interested to see if they can sustain or improve betting numbers without Covid bounce & with several of the changes made in the local industry,  particularly on nzracing. Next year as a comparison with this should gauge that.

Well for me the 2 big indicators will be , how the A/W's perform turnover wise along with numbers racing , if this is a flop i think they shit their pants because they are hanging so much on them , if Cambridge can't make them work with the numbers they have on call then there is no hope for the CD and SI tracks . And then the stakes they put out with the new season programmes , calender is out without a great deal of innovation but it will all be about the money , no change then they have been telling porkies or they are stockpiling at the expense of industry participants .

We are now at the pointy end of all the debate , very very interesting 3/4 months ahead .

• Like 1

Back to original topic but i see the amatuer race tomorrow is down to 5 , completely useless exercise . Along with a 4 horse 20k steeplechase at Te Rapa on Saturday . We see horses miss starts because they wont split races to save 10k but they are happy to bleed 30k so a very small group can have a run , these are the discrepancies that make very little sense to me .

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, nomates said:

Back to original topic but i see the amatuer race tomorrow is down to 5 , completely useless exercise . Along with a 4 horse 20k steeplechase at Te Rapa on Saturday . We see horses miss starts because they wont split races to save 10k but they are happy to bleed 30k so a very small group can have a run , these are the discrepancies that make very little sense to me .

I agree, have some sympathy for the Steeple race , but perhaps the stake should be adjusted, but the amateur race was an easy call a long way out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Freda said:

that the TAB had 'made'  20 million last month.

"made" - as in net profit?  Or yield before distributions?

Which sports contributed to the 20 million?

However in March they reported that they were up $20m on last year.  The profit for the season 1 August to 31 March was $116m up $28m on Budget but only up $22m on last year.  Yes they budgeted for less than last year!!

Don't forget that they need to find $35m or negotiate a new loan agreement with the bank to roll over the overdraft plus there are zero reserves left.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

"made" - as in net profit?  Or yield before distributions?

Which sports contributed to the 20 million?

However in March they reported that they were up $20m on last year.  The profit for the season 1 August to 31 March was $116m up $28m on Budget but only up $22m on last year.  Yes they budgeted for less than last year!!

Don't forget that they need to find $35m or negotiate a new loan agreement with the bank to roll over the overdraft plus there are zero reserves left.

That I can't answer.  I was told 'made 20 million '  but when I queried whether that was before distribution or debt reduction, or other opex,  he didn't know.

I suspect it is more smoke and mirrors,  personally,  but then what would I know.😕

• Like 1