Bit Of A Yarn

Innovative Programming: A flat race for Amateur Riders over 1600m becomes a Jumps Race over 2147m without Jumps.

Chief Stipe

MEETING NEWS

Riverton RC Thursday 6 May – Programme changes

Please note there have been changes to the Riverton RC meeting Thursday 6 May.

NZTR, in conjunction with the Club and Southern Programming Chairman have made the changes, in an attempt for this meeting to proceed with reasonable field sizes.

Both Jumps races scheduled for this day have been deleted.  The next jumps races in the South Island will be held at South Canterbury on Thursday 20th May.  Note, the Amateur race at Riverton below accommodates a run for Jumps horses.

The Amateur Riders race was previously on the R65 1600m, but has been moved to the R74 & Jmps 2147m race. The programme has been confirmed as follows:

Open 1600

R74 & Jmps 2147 (Amateur Riders)

R74 1400

R65 1600

R65 1200

Mdn 1600

Mdn 1400

Mdn 1200

4 hours ago, Freda said:

Will there be enough amateur riders?

Talking to a couple of southerners yesterday,  they have several middle distance horses that probably now won't get a run. 

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw this post, innovative and nzracing are so far removed from one another they shouldn't be mentioned in same post.

Of course it will look like there are enough if you dont get to see all those having to change plans because of this.

Are we also that silly that we expect NI amateur riders to go to the expense to go down for 1 ride? 

What are the numbers in the amateur riders like down that way?

42 minutes ago, Huey said:

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw this post, innovative and nzracing are so far removed from one another they shouldn't be mentioned in same post.

Of course it will look like there are enough if you dont get to see all those having to change plans because of this.

Are we also that silly that we expect NI amateur riders to go to the expense to go down for 1 ride? 

What are the numbers in the amateur riders like down that way?

Danny Frye and Nicki Browne are two that come immediately to mind...I'd have to dig out a list to have a better idea.   But some on the list have either not renewed licenses,  are heavy, or are doing other things. 

On 22/04/2021 at 8:24 AM, Chief Stipe said:

NZTR, in conjunction with the Club and Southern Programming Chairman have made the changes, in an attempt for this meeting to proceed with reasonable field sizes.

What makes them think that they are going to struggle for numbers , Riverton as a rule usually draw good numbers . If they lack numbers for the jumping races then it is their own fault , no one really has a clue what the jumping season is going to be like down south because of the crap programming , so why would you bother putting the work and money into a jumper when there is no idea whether there is going to be sufficient numbers in the SI . 

They know because of their piss arsing around that there is a good chance that there might only end up being 3/4 runners and then they would be committed to running , just an arse covering exercise .

1 minute ago, nomates said:

What makes them think that they are going to struggle for numbers , Riverton as a rule usually draw good numbers . If they lack numbers for the jumping races then it is their own fault , no one really has a clue what the jumping season is going to be like down south because of the crap programming , so why would you bother putting the work and money into a jumper when there is no idea whether there is going to be sufficient numbers in the SI . 

They know because of their piss arsing around that there is a good chance that there might only end up being 3/4 runners and then they would be committed to running , just an arse covering exercise .

Perhaps they proactively engaged with Trainers and determined the horse numbers in work. <tongue-in-cheek-font>

3 hours ago, Huey said:

Many of them will because they get few opportunities , but for me it's time to can them , most end up looking like" Whacky races " , not a great look for our industry , although you could say they mirror our industry .

On 4/25/2021 at 9:10 AM, Freda said:

Danny Frye and Nicki Browne are two that come immediately to mind...I'd have to dig out a list to have a better idea.   But some on the list have either not renewed licenses,  are heavy, or are doing other things. 

Just curious to know, are there any jumps riders still based in the South?

39 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

Just curious to know, are there any jumps riders still based in the South?

No.

Stuart Higgins looked like he has been on the outside of quite a few pies the last time I saw him....he was the only one I can recall from a few seasons ago.

4 hours ago, Freda said:

No.

Stuart Higgins looked like he has been on the outside of quite a few pies the last time I saw him....he was the only one I can recall from a few seasons ago.

Everyone loves a pie or two, a golf ball of fat in every pie, that's where the flavour is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ludwig said:

Perhaps it's time to pull the plug on southern jumps racing, before it becomes even more embarrassing?. The question is, I suppose, who gets the Grand Nationals?

Sadly,  i agree.

I don't think the prospect of losing the Nationals has occurred to the hosts, all the same. 

1 hour ago, Freda said:

Used to love the mutton pies at the Oamaru winter meetings.

They are not healthy but yep they are tasty,when it comes to food anything good  for you usually taste like shit.

I have to confess I've never eaten shit as such.

Some of the stuff people eat looks more like animal fodder,some of that  Chinese stuff looks like something the animals have spewed up,no wonder they get disease.

Edited by mikeynz

7 hours ago, mikeynz said:

They are not healthy but yep they are tasty,when it comes to food anything good  for you usually taste like shit.

Some of the stuff people eat looks more like animal fodder,some of that  Chinese stuff looks like something the animals have spewed up,no wonder they get disease.

7 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Some of the stuff people eat looks more like animal fodder,some of that  Chinese stuff looks like something the animals have spewed up,no wonder they ge

Sheep eyes are quite a delicacy, some say they see you through the week.

5 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

No amateur race,probably couldn't find any riders ,not many racing at all actually at Riverton,8 race meetings are almost the norm.

A 6 horse field, who saw that coming! Just think the people that programmed that race are running our industry ffs!

Dont worry plenty of exciting 970m races on the way -yippee!!!