Bit Of A Yarn

Melody Belle NZ champion

Great to see the Belle of the NZ turf , having a crack in Queensland in Group 2 Hollindale Cup at the Gold Coast today.

And we have turned on the rain!! early in week to give her a lovely Heavy track !!!

So wishing her well for a victory against the Aussies as her career nears the end, and the great trainer Chris Waller sure to be a danger with his runners, as usual.

Hoping the black Godolphin mud-lark Avilius gets too far back and not too involved.

Melody Belle to get in the TRIFECTA on the heavy with some Waller beauties in Toffee Tongue and Mister Sea Wolf

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, nomates said:

Good to see you covered your bases there with " NZ Champion " .

Yes , Chris Waller is just winning everything nearly, Am sure he would like a Melbourne Cup though. Veery Elleegant went very well in the last one. maybe this year.

Wonder how he did training in NZ. ? from Foxton is all I know and came to Aus with Castletown possibly?

These days he has about 2 and 1/2 thousand 'Race' starters per year . about 4-5 per day on average. Wow.....

The bit I find hard to comprehend, is that he has that many owners that probably, he hasn't ever even met great chunks of them to chat with once ? some of those thoroughbreds have like 20 owners. In harness more likely 1-4 persons per horse and as a trainer, you always knew All your owners very well, even in a larger 30-50 horse barn.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Wonder how he did training in NZ. ? from Foxton is all I know and came to Aus with Castletown possibly?

Trained in partnership with Heather Weller when he went to Sydney , don't remember that he trained for long here on his own or in partnership , don't remember how many wins they had , which suggests not too many .

H Weller was the initial trainer for Go Racing , lasted about 2/3 years i think .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Freda said:

She trained Silky Red Boxer  for Albert,  and the whole operation went from there really.

I wasn't aware she went to Sydney, thought Chris went on his own.

No she stayed in Foxton , but it was Waller and Weller in the book , still there pottering around and helps Matt Dixon , the relationship with Bosma broke down and he moved north .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Give her a break!  The winner had them ALL struggling a long way from home running a race record.

2:01 at Doomben is fair hiking.

Where did I bag the horse out, nothing but respect for her, but still confused as to what the point of the entire campaign was, I guess by your reply you understand it all?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Huey said:

What would noms accs be for Doomben Cup?  Not to mention cost of having her there. I'd say they'd be dipping into the kitty.

Bloody big Kitty and more to come.  Keeping her in racing trim helps her appearance for the sale as well.

The cost of having her there and preparing her for the sale without racing would be much the same.

• Like 1