Bit Of A Yarn

Anyone notice the Cambridge Jockey Club hypocrisy and glaring contradiction?

Well the Cambridge Jockey Club AWT meeting did highlight what some of us have been saying for years - the focus should be on the track and horses.

The CJC meeting proved you don't need:

A flash grandstand - tents and awnings will suffice;

Toilets for patrons - port-a-loos will do;

High class hospitality - a pie cart, a hotdog stand, a coffee caravan and a few bar leaners outside;

Hell you don't even need a commentary box placed above and near the finish line for the race commentator!

Did anyone notice all the journo's and live Trackside staff on track rather than being bunkered down at Te Rapa?  Was a super high speed internet connection put in for the HD television?

Maybe places like Timaru and Foxton with better facilities and the best turf tracks in NZ (certainly better than Riccarton) will get more race dates with this obvious change in policy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Pitman said:

You’re very observant for someone who “ONLY TUNED IN TO WATCH THE LAST RACE”

You obviously weren't listening!!  If you had you would have heard George Simon mention the commentators box, Aiden Rodley mention the "temporary facilities", the bar leaners and other things that "will be addressed as we move on from this historic day"!

Foxton must be chomping at the bit to hold the next washed out Awapuni meeting!!!  Geez their commentators box is in place and in the right place!  Pitty I'm sure Foxton would even have good food and you wouldn't have to pack your lunch.

Actually I thought the hypocrisy you were referring to CS was the financing of an AW track by the "provincial growth fund" in the same week as we were hearing about the high rents being charged in Cambridge!

Didn't watch a single second on TV nor did I have a bet out of principle but it was unavoidable to escape the "gushing" on Facebook and other social media from the NZTR.

But one swallow doesn't make a drink.  The construction of these tracks is the easy part - being it being from taxpayers' funds achieved by political skullduggery - the hard part is making it pay.  The top brass think they can by closing down provincial tracks but that won't help, in fact in my opinion it will be to racing's detriment   This of course has been pointed out by all the smart people, including me, for quite some time and been ignored.

But don't worry - it will only last forever.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mark D said:

Actually I thought the hypocrisy you were referring to CS was the financing of an AW track by the "provincial growth fund" in the same week as we were hearing about the high rents being charged in Cambridge!

Well there is that hypocrisy but arguably Riccarton are worse in that regard as Christchurch wasn't eligible at all under the PGF rules!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

You obviously weren't listening!!  If you had you would have heard George Simon mention the commentators box, Aiden Rodley mention the "temporary facilities", the bar leaners and other things that "will be addressed as we move on from this historic day"!

Foxton must be chomping at the bit to hold the next washed out Awapuni meeting!!!  Geez their commentators box is in place and in the right place!  Pitty I'm sure Foxton would even have good food and you wouldn't have to pack your lunch.

Last time I was at Foxton everything was old and in a state of falling down and someone had set fire to it since I was last there

All I can say is I watched most races yesterday and it was great to see how rejuvenated some of the participants were, I hope this keeps up, it won’t be easy but some things needed change and thanks to Winston and the PGF we will have three very useful AWT’s despite what you say and think I believe this is a positive for all our industry

Do I agree with shutting some clubs down, no I don’t

I also don’t believe in bagging some things because certain people support change, that’s your m.o. chief

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Pitman said:

Last time I was at Foxton everything was old and in a state of falling down and someone had set fire to it since I was last there

They got an insurance payment and spent it wisely.  Regardless as Cambridge proved yesterday you don't need facilities let one flash ones to run a race meeting.

A great winter track Foxton.

28 minutes ago, Pitman said:

it won’t be easy but some things needed change and thanks to Winston and the PGF we will have three very useful AWT’s despite what you say and think I believe this is a positive for all our industry

Do I agree with shutting some clubs down, no I don’t

I also don’t believe in bagging some things because certain people support change, that’s your m.o. chief

So you belong to the build and hope mob that says "something needed to be done"?  No business plan, targets or research just let's spend $48 million of someone else's money, close down profitable racing clubs and things will be all fine and dandy.

Do you know how much punting turnover was required to fully fund yesterday's meeting and to cover additional maintenance costs?  Let alone achieve a return on capital.

Meanwhile a perfectly good racetrack with nice facilities like Foxton sits idle.  

10 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Well the Cambridge Jockey Club AWT meeting did highlight what some of us have been saying for years - the focus should be on the track and horses.

High class hospitality - a pie cart, a hotdog stand, a coffee caravan and a few bar leaners outside;

Hell you don't even need a commentary box placed above and near the finish line for the race commentator!

Did anyone notice all the journo's and live Trackside staff on track rather than being bunkered down at Te Rapa?  Was a super high speed internet connection put in for the HD television?

Maybe places like Timaru and Foxton with better facilities and the best turf tracks in NZ (certainly better than Riccarton) will get more race dates with this obvious change in policy.

Of course its ok if youre in the club or part of the agenda, the no facilities was only used on clubs they desperately wanted to find a reason to rid the industry of of via the venue plan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pitman said:

I believe Riccarton has a grandstand in much the same state of disrepair and unuseable , Trentham is a relic , Otaki is in bits , Wanganui is from another era , god i could go on , but as you should know horses don't race in the grandstands , this is all about tracks surfaces .

I only mention those as they are some of the ones i visit , visited .

1 hour ago, nomates said:

I believe Riccarton has a grandstand in much the same state of disrepair and unuseable , Trentham is a relic , Otaki is in bits , Wanganui is from another era , god i could go on , but as you should know horses don't race in the grandstands , this is all about tracks surfaces .

I only mention those as they are some of the ones i visit , visited .

riccarton still has a grandstand, owners area, members area, bars, jockeys room, trainers room, stipes room ambo facility as does trentham 

There is nothing wrong with the track at Riccarton (especially when it’s firm) don’t believe all the negative shit the chief scribbles. I would think it would be quite some time ago that he last visited the track yet he makes out he has superior knowledge of its racing surface and he does not!!!

12 minutes ago, Pitman said:

riccarton still has a grandstand, owners area, members area, bars, jockeys room, trainers room, stipes room ambo facility as does trentham 

But you don't need all those things as Cambridge proved yesterday.

13 minutes ago, Pitman said:

There is nothing wrong with the track at Riccarton (especially when it’s firm) don’t believe all the negative shit the chief scribbles. I would think it would be quite some time ago that he last visited the track yet he makes out he has superior knowledge of its racing surface and he does not!!!

Not according to the Jockey's and other Trainers.

But them there are these pictures taken recently:

received_774796079816479.jpegreceived_418856316068375.jpeg

1 hour ago, Pitman said:

I think for myself thanks , i like a punt and Riccarton is as inconsistant as most other tracks in NZ that have little or no investment intrack upgrades . 

I've been watching racing and occasionally been to Riccarton for the best part of 47 years , and no amount of positivity from someone even as successful as yourself will convince me that that Riccarton track is anywhere near the condition it used to be . 

NZ racing is in an awful state for various reasons , but one of the biggest failings has been the lack of track maintenance and upgrading on a regular basis , which has bashed punters confidence , and if you wish to believe that the A/W's are a game changer for racing you are entitled to that opinion , but for mine they are but another shinny toy that will do nothing for improving our dire financial position .

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

On 20/05/2021 at 6:09 AM, Chief Stipe said:

FFS..that headline needs a few apostrophes and ellipses 

But agree...FOXTON being the bastard child of NZ Racing...

Sitting in the corner waving their soiled nappies at the industry while Rome burns...

..and races at a shit heap like Whanaga Sheep Dag track

Where's Bent Grader when you need a comment on the ridiculousness of it all?

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Did anyone watch or even bet on today's edition of Synthetic Racing at Cambridge?

Specifically managed to watch 1, to check out the Jewels colours go round.

Here is a 2 min video of scenes from day & 1 happy winning trainer interviewed after winning the $4k Harness Jewels bonus 👍😃

https://www.facebook.com/trackchatnz/videos/127352042796097/

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Did anyone watch or even bet on today's edition of Synthetic Racing at Cambridge?

i tend to agree with you chief i punt for a percentage of my living but i  wont be punting on cambridge  till it sorts itself out or i can under  stand the track

Typical of this administration all piss and wind for the 1st meeting but everything peters (pun intended) out.  Given the lack of any publicity re turnovers etc I think it is safe to assume that these are nothing to write home about.

• Like 1