Bit Of A Yarn

Wingatui noms.

16 from Riverton and 16 from Wingatui running on Sunday,7 races,the noms were good I guess the weather has stuffed things a bit but with the Tyler's and the Andertons keeping the numbers up you do wonder where things are gunna end up.

Just looked at the nom's for the , nothing rated above 85 in either which is a blessing as it will help drawing extra nom's seeing as there isn't any standout horses . As for the jumps not much better , good of them to go around for no money tho , or are they waiting to see how many pay up before they put up the stake , bloody disgraceful , it is a mickey mouse outfit . 

40 minutes ago, nomates said:

You just waking up to this , been on a circle of decline for the past 20 years , mostly down to poor governance .

After a while it becomes tiring to hear people saying that racing is stuffed, and"something" needs to be done.

I want to hear ideas , suggestions for positive change, both locally and nationally.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

I want to hear ideas , suggestions for positive change, both locally and nationally.

Yea we all do , and plenty have been offered , there has been plenty discussed on this forum , they don't want to know , they have a plan , a plan so cunning they wont share it with the racing community . 

Try offering a suggestion , see how far you get and how far your suggestion goes .

I can't even come up with one positive initiative that NZTR have instigated in recent years , that's how cunning the plan is , it's years in the making , i'm sure they will announce it soon . Or in a little while at least , maybe not .

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, nomates said:

Yea we all do , and plenty have been offered , there has been plenty discussed on this forum , they don't want to know , they have a plan , a plan so cunning they wont share it with the racing community . 

Try offering a suggestion , see how far you get and how far your suggestion goes .

I can't even come up with one positive initiative that NZTR have instigated in recent years , that's how cunning the plan is , it's years in the making , i'm sure they will announce it soon . Or in a little while at least , maybe not .

I heard they had a cunning plan to improve the smorgasbord at board meetings. I'm sure that helped.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nomates said:

Exactly right NM , they do not listen , especially since Saundry took the reins NZTR has gone down hill at an accelerating rate. 

• Like 1

Mostly good numbers for Washdyke Sunday and at this stage a slow track yet Matamata,New Plymouth and Wellington have heavy tracks,just been doing some research  of past stats and about 80 percent of the time day 1 at Riccarton in August is a heavy track,yet Oamaru and Washdyke have slow or dead and in some cases a good track racing same time of year.

• Like 1

Oamaru and Timaru dates seem to be all over the place,why can't there be some consistency?........Lots of other sports usually have a settled timetable,but racing is tinkering all the time,Oamaru do have one big day,Washdyke have industry days only,that doesn't help their cause for staying racing,strange thing here though is you have the best track with the poorer horses yet Riccarton has the best horses with the poorer track,surely there is a better way,why for some reason do Oamaru race on a Thursday in June and Riccarton race on the Saturday yet the Sunday before has nothing,why not race AWT on the Thursday,basically having 2 day meeting,at Riccarton,some of these clubs are getting the run around.

I actually think that all the winter grass racing from Queens birthday till after the National meeting in the south should be at the weekend,race midweek only on the. AWT.

Edited by mikeynz
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Oamaru and Timaru dates seem to be all over the place,why can't there be some consistency?........Lots of other sports usually have a settled timetable,but racing is tinkering all the time,Oamaru do have one big day,Washdyke have industry days only,that doesn't help their cause for staying racing,strange thing here though is you have the best track with the poorer horses yet Riccarton has the best horses with the poorer track,surely there is a better way,why for some reason do Oamaru race on a Thursday in June and Riccarton race on the Saturday yet the Sunday before has nothing,why not race AWT on the Thursday,basically having 2 day meeting,at Riccarton,some of these clubs are getting the run around.

I actually think that all the winter grass racing from Queens birthday till after the National meeting in the south should be at the weekend,race midweek only on the. AWT.

Just to add,Sunday's are actually a good day in winter,simply not much happening at this time of year,Addington race every week so why not the gallops join in,there are 2 Sundays next winter with no gallop meetings,why Oamaru don't get the June one which would be next week seems odd.

• Like 1

On 8/06/2021 at 2:23 PM, Ludwig said:

After a while it becomes tiring to hear people saying that racing is stuffed, and"something" needs to be done.

Well the first positive thing that they could do is hold no meetings at Trentham between 1 April and 15 October but no the dates committee think otherwise! 
Trentham when it’s dry is the best surface in the country but a disaster when wet through the late autumn, winter and early spring. 

40 minutes ago, Dark Beau said:

Well the first positive thing that they could do is hold no meetings at Trentham between 1 April and 15 October but no the dates committee think otherwise! 
Trentham when it’s dry is the best surface in the country but a disaster when wet through the late autumn, winter and early spring. 

3 days racing at Riccarton in August must take a lot out of the track,maybe a feature day or two saturdays at Washdyke both makes Timaru more viable and eases the load on Ricarton,our climate is simply not as favourable as aussie,even Ashburton have a couple of feature days Trentham is a bit of a problem child course these days,logic would suggest if they want to cut down travelling then with the AWT in Cambridge negates the need for Ruakaka,yet they race fortnightly in winter which actually is easing the workload of another track,Ellerslie is having a good spell for a month or two,I guess you can say it's a horses for courses issue,having said that why are a lot of these courses no longer standing up as well as they once did.

6 hours ago, mikeynz said:

3 days racing at Riccarton in August must take a lot out of the track.............having said that why are a lot of these courses no longer standing up as well as they once did.

That was what I was trying to point out earlier,  with the reference to Hunt Club / Grand National meetings ( four days in all ) on the same track over a fortnight, years ago. The course coped ok mostly- but then it wasn't used until Cup time.  Lead up races to that carnival took place at Oamaru, Ashburton,  Geraldine, Rangiora,  Motukarara, even Blenheim if my memory serves me correctly.   Those fixtures worked well,  stood the test of time, and the date structure,  while not perfect,  did seem to work ok.  At least we did know what happened when,  and could plan a preparation around that.

Not only are the turf tracks stuffed ( as discussed ad infinitum ) but dates have been altered over the years without thought to the knock on effect. 

I remember locally, dates uptaken by Riccarton when smaller clubs lost them, so they weren't lost to the region.  Admirable in sentiment,  but adding to the pressure on a grass track without realising the effects going forward. 

Now we have the AWT to potentially ease the pressure- but again, the structure and dates are all over the place without any seeming purpose, and no plan that anyone is aware of, to renovate the said turf surface.

1 hour ago, curious said:

At this stage it would seem to make sense to wait until the AWT is up and running as an alternative surface before renovating the main turf course, especially given the reduction in alternative venues to accommodate that.

For sure....but I don't think there is any notion or desire to do that.   And the prestige races won't be held on the AWT. 

11 hours ago, Dark Beau said:

Understand where you're coming from, but then that's the jumps racing (at Trentham)largely stuffed. I dont think there is the depth in the jumps ranks to really justify a whole card of jumps racing either.

But it does look ridiculous 4 & 6 horse fields running around for $30k+ & some people see  a $200 starters fee as an issue - go figure.

There is a total lack of logic in any of it, a criminal under use of certain tracks and self interest at stake at every corner that is holding the industry back.

• Like 2

Oamaru,friday,industry meeting be interesting to see how numbers stack up,yet sunday there is no gallop meeting,sundays in winter can be pretty drab affairs, agood day to sit home watch racing,fridays ain't that bad but a lot of people do actually have to work,a lot less on sundays work but maybe a slight improvement in the quality of the racing,maybe a open handicap race as the main race or are they going to miss racing on a good track and plough through a bog next week at Riccarton instead,interesting scenarios.

• Like 1

Looks like they are gunna be on a heavy track at Oamaru too, it does happen, it is winter remember, nominations are good,maybe trainers just assume it's gunna be a good track, not at this stage anyway.kind of unfortunate ,when did they last race there?