Bit Of A Yarn

Wingatui noms.

15 hours ago, Shad said:

That time of the year, the return of Jack frost, 

Jack Frost is racing in one of the later races so he hasn't frightened off many as there are 10 races which in today's climate ain't bad,stakes are better,just shows that lots target the better days,often the lesser days are skipped by some but they are all part of the setup too.

2 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Jack Frost is racing in one of the later races so he hasn't frightened off many as there are 10 races which in today's climate ain't bad,stakes are better,just shows that lots target the better days,often the lesser days are skipped by some but they are all part of the setup too.

Thought you were taking the piss when you said Jack Frost was racing , was just looking thru the fields for the weekend and there he was , great to see the old bloke back , great jumper and i hope for the connections and himself he stands up .

He's just made winter jumping a bit more interesting for me .

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, nomates said:

Thought you were taking the piss when you said Jack Frost was racing , was just looking thru the fields for the weekend and there he was , great to see the old bloke back , great jumper and i hope for the connections and himself he stands up .

Glad that I could be of some assistance😂

• Like 1

On 26/05/2021 at 2:12 PM, nomates said:

Think it was I that mentioned the return of jack

On 5/26/2021 at 2:12 PM, nomates said:

If there is any jumping in the south already two canned jump meetings, there is one coming up at riccarton, be interesting to see what happens there if that's a no go then the writing isn't just on the wall the reality will hit hard. Not much point in riccarton trying to keep the nationals anymore. Can you even train a jumper at the national home track??

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nostradamus said:

If there is any jumping in the south already two canned jump meetings, there is one coming up at riccarton, be interesting to see what happens there if that's a no go then the writing isn't just on the wall the reality will hit hard. Not much point in riccarton trying to keep the nationals anymore. Can you even train a jumper at the national home track??

So the National goes from Riccarton and the hills gone from Ellerslie so the Great Northern etc are gone from there , gee these guys running the sport are doing a fantastic job. All jumps racing moved to Trentham where you can watch cricket games during races sounds like a viable solution.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nostradamus said:

How can you train a jumper at Riccarton when they are still waiting for the Brown Top grass to grow?!!!!!

16 minutes ago, Freda said:

Considering the possibility of shifting the Friday Riccarton meeting to Ashburton....where will that leave the  jumps races now?

Yes but the Brown Top will be watered now!

Seriously I don't think they care anymore about jumps races.  Yet again no room for the good old tough aged gelding!

18 minutes ago, Freda said:

Considering the possibility of shifting the Friday Riccarton meeting to Ashburton....where will that leave the  jumps races now?

Freda , Hope you and Pitty and all the other trainers and horses are well and safe , just watched the news and thinking how bad it must be down there at present , stay well .

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yes but the Brown Top will be watered now!

Seriously I don't think they care anymore about jumps races.  Yet again no room for the good old tough aged gelding!

I believe the option of deferring to next week was mentioned...surely, that would be preferable wrt retaining the jumps races, and considering the disruption to training for many horses?  

I'm don't think jumping has any future down here going forward, but the prospect of losing the Nationals must have occurred to management,  surely?

2 hours ago, Freda said:

I'm don't think jumping has any future down here going forward, but the prospect of losing the Nationals must have occurred to management,  surely?

Why would it occur to them when they appear to have no long term strategy?

Did they consider providing dedicated and safe jump training facilities during the recent disruption?

They don't even bother to look after the track leading up to the steeples.

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Why would it occur to them when they appear to have no long term strategy?

Point.

Did they consider providing dedicated and safe jump training facilities during the recent disruption?

No.    Some hastily - erected hurdles for the recent jumping school, which seemed to suffice insofar as there was something to jump...but prior to that, only a few straggly old steeple fences with little run-in or room to pull up.   But, no jumpers in work anyway here.  My old chap was the last jumper to be trained here;  that'll be the only claim to fame he ever has too, unless he makes a stunning eventer!

They don't even bother to look after the track leading up to the steeples.

Point again.

19 hours ago, Freda said:

Academic anyway...whether Ashburton or Riccarton is the choice for Friday, those south of Ashburton will find it difficult/impossible to get there, the bridge is out over the Ashburton river.

News today is it is open to light traffic.  Are all the bridges out?  Mayfield/Thompson's Track?  Rakaia Gorge road?