Bit Of A Yarn

Junior Driver Champs North verse South

Jones

After missing last year due to Covid, great to see its back.

Who will take the North verse South trophy? Both teams have great captains. And they look like a great bunch of potential role models in years to come.

Who will take the Junior Driver Champ Trophy?

Exciting for them all, to those that have qualified.

Good luck all.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Jones said:

After missing last year due to Covid, great to see its back.

Who will take the North verse South trophy? Both teams have great captains. And they look like a great bunch of potential role models in years to come.

Who will take the Junior Driver Champ Trophy?

Exciting for them all, to those that have qualified.

Good luck all.

Who will draw the best horses? That is the key to victory in these contests. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Jones said:

Lets see.

Who am I going to cheerlead for. Hmm, let me take 1 sec to think about it.

Decided, get pom poms out for the North Team.

Who be rooting for the South?

Davis that be you 😄😉

Definitely the South. What a team.

The stunning Tomlinson sisters Sheree and Kerryn

The cool-headed captain John Morrison

The driving genes of Sarah O'Reilly, it runs in the family, father, uncles, grandfather all great drivers

Group One winning driver Ben Hope

The late blooming Mark Hurrell

Go the South!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Davis said:

Definitely the South. What a team.

The stunning Tomlinson sisters Sheree and Kerryn

The cool-headed captain John Morrison

The driving genes of Sarah O'Reilly, it runs in the family, father, uncles, grandfather all great drivers

Group One winning driver Ben Hope

The late blooming Mark Hurrell

Go the South!!!!

Can't knock the form of this team. The North Island will be smashed to pieces.

Saw the qualifying had the 6 Southerners listed scoring 3000 points between them , and the 6 North Islanders about 500 points. a different stratosphere. They may as well of put in Crystal Hackett, as only just started driving but 'bred' to be a winner and chalked up 2 wins already. 

Those North Island Juniors just Don't get a chance to LEARN the trade. You need LOT"S of drives per meeting. What does Drake do? paddle around on Emma Frost? never heard of 2 of them. (North juniors)

In Brisbane our 2 best juniors are teenagers (Angus Garrard and Taleah McMullen) and yet at that young age, have over 1000 drives each already , and near 300 winners each already, in less than 3 years. 

North Island juniors ??  well give em a go. 3 or 4 drives per meeting at least , so they can improve. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

(Angus Garrard and Taleah McMullen) and yet at that young age, have over 1000 drives each already , and near 300 winners each already,

Sorry , a correction here, I meant to type 2000 drives each to date. Winning rate is about one win in 7 drives.

About exactly the same ratio as North Island best drivers 30 years ago. SEE PHOTO. a few of these 'Old' Boys are still going around , taking the Glory. At least Mango has finally handed the reins over (to Nat) and had quick winning results with South Coast Arden. 

Hey old 'Markie Boy' only 23 wins from 193 drives then while learning ????  won Interdominion at Akld just 2 years later. Improved with practice ??? 

DSC02220.JPG

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

Can't knock the form of this team. The North Island will be smashed to pieces.

On paper it looks that way but it might not be the case. It depends on the horse each driver is allocated, all the driving skills in the world don't help on a slow horse. Sadly, often there are not full fields in these races and some drivers miss out on a drive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

Those North Island Juniors just Don't get a chance to LEARN the trade. You need LOT"S of drives per meeting. What does Drake do? paddle around on Emma Frost? never heard of 2 of them. (North juniors)

I

Which two Gammalite?

23 minutes ago, eljay said:

Which two Gammalite?

Misters meredith and Bublitz I think it was. Mr Delaney is probably at BarryP's so would get good practice.

26 minutes ago, Davis said:

It depends on the horse each driver is allocated, all the driving skills in the world don't help on a slow horse

If it was senior drivers competition ?Yes.  would agree. But driving skills Do matter. Dexter Dunn could win with slow horses still in this type of competition. Herlihy used to beat us up with anything he drove. (in probationary races) he was quite the master of it. not many beat him anytime, no matter what horse or barrier . He drove Captain Smooth too. Think that should of been his nickname. "Mr Smooth" lol......... (he's not icy at all, lovely bloke)

One South Island junior , Newman,  has 6-7 drives today at Addington. great stuff. He'll learn and run rings around the northerners next month. Experience is everything for these youngsters. The 6 south drivers , as well as knowing the track, are driving lots of horses all the time. They'll run the trifecta , First 4 , and i'm picking the BIG6 too. no matter what horse they draw.

• Haha 1

To be fair didnt Alicia Harrison win this previously?

It does matter what horses they draw as there have been several drivers win these types of events that just are not the best by a long shot!

On the face of it, you would think at this stage of their careers, Alicia and Luke would be the only two that would pick up many drives if they were in the South Island.

Great to have these events though, as we need to be encouraging as many as we can to remain in the harness industry!

Looking at all of the names, you would have to have serious concerns that many of them will make a living out of harness racing  out of their Junior days unfortunately!

Where are the standard names in harness?

Butt, Jones, Nyhan, etc. etc.,

• Champ Post 1

26 minutes ago, Brodie said:

To be fair didnt Alicia Harrison win this previously?

It does matter what horses they draw as there have been several drivers win these types of events that just are not the best by a long shot!

On the face of it, you would think at this stage of their careers, Alicia and Luke would be the only two that would pick up many drives if they were in the South Island.

Great to have these events though, as we need to be encouraging as many as we can to remain in the harness industry!

Looking at all of the names, you would have to have serious concerns that many of them will make a living out of harness racing  out of their Junior days unfortunately!

Where are the standard names in harness?

Butt, Jones, Nyhan, etc. etc.,

Tomlinson, O'Reilly and Hope all well-known harness families...

4 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Misters meredith and Bublitz I think it was. Mr Delaney is probably at BarryP's so would get good practice.

If it was senior drivers competition ?Yes.  would agree. But driving skills Do matter. Dexter Dunn could win with slow horses still in this type of competition. Herlihy used to beat us up with anything he drove. (in probationary races) he was quite the master of it. not many beat him anytime, no matter what horse or barrier . He drove Captain Smooth too. Think that should of been his nickname. "Mr Smooth" lol......... (he's not icy at all, lovely bloke)

Dexter Dunn never won the Junior Drivers' Championship. This year there are three drivers who have won the championship previously: Kerryn Tomlinson, Alicia Harrison and Sarah O'Reilly.

Year Winner Second Third
2020 Kerryn Tomlinson Luke Whittaker Alicia Harrison
2019 Sarah O'Reilly Kimberly Butt John Morrison
2018 Alicia Harrison Benjamin Butcher Mark Hurrell
2017 Rory McIlwrick Ben Butcher Katie Cox
2016 Stevie Golding Dylan Ferguson Katie Cox
2015 Robbie Close Michelle Neilson Jack MacKinnon
2014 Michelle Neilson Dylan Ferguson Robbie Close
2013 Simon Lawson Mitchell Kerr Roydon Downey
2012 Zac Butcher Matthew Williamson Jack Trainor
2011 Tim Williams Shane Butcher Matthew Williamson
2010 Simon Lawson Joshua Dickie Roydon Downey
2009 Zac Butcher Joshua Dickie Anna Stormont
2008 Shane Walkinshaw Amber Jenkins Tim Williams
2007 John Dunn Reon Tither Amber Jenkins
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Davis said:

Tomlinson, O'Reilly and Hope all well-known harness families...

O’Reilly yes, but the other two are not overly established.

Yes Greg Hope’s father trained but not sure if you could say it was a generational name could you?

23 minutes ago, Davis said:

Dexter Dunn never won the Junior Drivers' Championship. This year there are three drivers who have won the championship previously: Kerryn Tomlinson, Alicia Harrison and Sarah O'Reilly.

Year Winner Second Third
2020 Kerryn Tomlinson Luke Whittaker Alicia Harrison
2019 Sarah O'Reilly Kimberly Butt John Morrison
2018 Alicia Harrison Benjamin Butcher Mark Hurrell
2017 Rory McIlwrick Ben Butcher Katie Cox
2016 Stevie Golding Dylan Ferguson Katie Cox
2015 Robbie Close Michelle Neilson Jack MacKinnon
2014 Michelle Neilson Dylan Ferguson Robbie Close
2013 Simon Lawson Mitchell Kerr Roydon Downey
2012 Zac Butcher Matthew Williamson Jack Trainor
2011 Tim Williams Shane Butcher Matthew Williamson
2010 Simon Lawson Joshua Dickie Roydon Downey
2009 Zac Butcher Joshua Dickie Anna Stormont
2008 Shane Walkinshaw Amber Jenkins Tim Williams
2007 John Dunn Reon Tither Amber Jenkins

Totally sexist, but geez the last 3 winners were not male!

Without the females in harness racing, things would be looking extremely dire in the Junior ranks and stable workers!

Will many of them etch out a living solely on harness racing out of their time??????

Nah, not on your nelly!

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Totally sexist, but geez the last 3 winners were not male!

Without the females in harness racing, things would be looking extremely dire in the Junior ranks and stable workers!

Will many of them etch out a living solely on harness racing out of their time??????

Nah, not on your nelly!

If you look at the past winners and place getters over the past decade most are still in the industry. The 2014 winner Michelle Nielson is a mystery to me. Where is she now, where was she based during her junior years? 

1 hour ago, Davis said:

That is excellent for the young ladies. Sheree to join them this year ? is my prediction, with the vast experience of 2400 drives, and deserving of a championship while still a junior.

DRAKE from the north Island only has had 500 drives over 5 years for 21 wins? unlikely to trouble the scorer? 

The bloke who won our QLD Junior title championship last week , MATT ELKINS, finally won it at his last attempt . been driving since 2016 and 5000 races and just last week drove his 500th winner. only a par strike rate though.

QLD had 6 races with 6 different winning drivers in the series. as you might expect in this sort of contest. 

16 minutes ago, Davis said:

If you look at the past winners and place getters over the past decade most are still in the industry. The 2014 winner Michelle Nielson is a mystery to me. Where is she now, where was she based during her junior years? 

Yes and no Davis!

The last 3 winners are still juniors so will be staying at the mo, be a different story when they hit the open ranks!

McLlwrick, is on and off in the industry, you just wouldnt guarantee that he is around horses in the future.

Stevie is making far more out of the sport!

Robbie is probably be around for awhile as he is a good horseman!

I think Michelle Neilson is back in Oz? 
Simon Lawson got a long suspension, is he back?

Zac still going big time, but he is from a strong harness familyand has contacts!

Shane Walkinshaw is only meddling in a small way at best!

To make a living out of racing financially you need to be training a good size team or being one of the leading drivers!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

Oh love the competitive banter there Gamms. Now lesson 201. The North Team won the overall team comp with most points so currently hold the trophy. Yeah dats right. 

3 of the same team are still competing in this years comp too. Whittaker, Harrison & Delany. So hardly a weak team. 

For the overall winner, it was a very close race went right down to the wire. T Hanara North was leading for some time, then it changed up right at end & came right down to last race. Points were all VERY close. Was an exciting comp to follow/watch.

Drake, Gamms think works for Green/Lincoln F. You know 1 of the top stables in North. How did you miss him he got to a Group 1 drive Jewels Day on Sugar Apple. So that was another positive that he got a drive Jewels day. In hindsight perhaps he should of taken a trail behind Ultimate Chevron. S.A looked like he over-raced a bit infront. Thing is tho can't trust that Southern drivers won't just hand up to Cullen/All Stars team. Just a shame S Apple didn't get trailers to passing lane. But there was no Cullen tri in that race. No Cullen musical chairs by him holding the lead. 

Meredith I think does some driving for Mangos, & seems like a quick learner. Bublitz think maybe his family are hobby owners or trainers. Another potential quick learner. 

Im fine with my North Team thank you very much. Roll on comp day 😉😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

To make a living out of racing financially you need to be training a good size team or being one of the leading drivers!

Seems 2012 3rd Placed Jack Trainor has followed Brodie's advice,

Trained 1 x Winner and Drove 2 x Winners tonight at Penrith.

Currently 9th on Australian Drivers National Premiership with 82 Wins/Stakemoney A$1.03million.

(one win behind Danielle Hill,who has been mentioned earlier in this thread)

Combines this with Training/resulting in 23 Wins this season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jones said:

3 of the same team are still competing in this years comp too. Whittaker, Harrison & Delany. So hardly a weak team. 

Even though the draw of horse is random, and the North have done well previously, I still say knowing your 'Hometown' horses and track is a HUGE advantage. 

the northern team with have some 'nervous ' ones that will be dealing with people (and horses) that they don't know well at all like the hometown South Island drivers, and the experience level being 6 times greater for the south , points to a BIG result for them.  Hope they go well , and jag a win. go for glory ! why you have got the chance.

It is an individual ?  that comes out on top so maybe won't be team driving anyway. I love the experience factor as , because as in any sport, Plenty of throws at the board/target leads to the knowledge and/or improvement in your results.

1 hour ago, Jones said:

Meredith I think does some driving for Mangos, & seems like a quick learner. 

Jonesy,partially correct.

Zev Meredith began his Junior Career working for Brent Mangos,and drove his first winner Havehorsewilltravel at Cambridge Oct 2019,on his First Raceday.

This was to be the only winner for his boss,and they parted company in 2020,

Derek Balle became his new mentor,and this team has become much more successful,though I am unsure of the current status.

• Like 2

Yes agree with you there Gamms that home track drivers would know track better to have that home track/crowd advantage, in saying that last comp was held at Add & North still won. (Then when you have Unhinged coming up to you & interviewing saying, after your fab win while recording on camera e.g. Hanara and then Delany “who are you, never heard of you?” Not the most fun reception I suspect for the youngsters. However this year, Unhinged is going to be right on his game.

The odd other videos have seen of Unhinged YES I like. Fun, seems like a great dude & doing a lot for the game.

Got it Taupiri thanks for update re Meredith & yes Gamms Delany works for B Purdon.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jones said:

Yes agree with you there Gamms that home track drivers would know track better to have that home track/crowd advantage, in saying that last comp was held at Add & North still won. (Then when you have Unhinged coming up to you & interviewing saying, after your fab win while recording on camera e.g. Hanara and then Delany “who are you, never heard of you?” Not the most fun reception I suspect for the youngsters. However this year, Unhinged is going to be right on his game.

The odd other videos have seen of Unhinged YES I like. Fun, seems like a great dude & doing a lot for the game.

Got it Taupiri thanks for update re Meredith & yes Gamms Delany works for B Purdon.

Not sure who unhinged is, but hope he gives harness racing a plug. We get ZERO in Qld in the media. Sky channel is only source of media coverage.

We had a free to air TV broadcast for One Hour of the 'Blacks A Fake' G1 at Albion in Dec. !!!!!!!!????? I nearly dropped the cat and choked on my cookies with shock.! hadn't seen a free to air broadcast since BEAUTIDE won the Interdominion at Menangle in 2015. !!   racing thoroughbred horses are on free 24 hours per day / free to air. KING of SWING (Bettor twists older brother won that race)

I know how Brodie and some feel about Allstars NZ domination to a degree , as McCarthy has turned up for ALBION tomorrow night and is in five races. (WHich he will WIN easily ) with King of Swing and Co. The poor locals will be smashed to pieces by the Super-stable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Not sure who unhinged is, but hope he gives harness racing a plug. 

Gamms,unhinged is The Alta-Ego of Nigel Armstrong,a South Island Trotting Enthusiast.

Checkout His Facebook Page "Harness Racing Unhinged"

Mantra says "we aim to bring you the human side of Harness Racing with humorous interviews of industry participants".

There are dozens of recent vids to view.I just enjoyed watching interview with Jamie Dunberger-Smith of Summit Bloodstock,across from Aussie to attend The Jewels on a working holiday.They have clocked up almost 200 Wins in 18 months.

Nigel Armstrong also gets many locals involved in Ownership via His Westview Syndicates.

A recent success story lies in 4yo Mare Spellbound,raced here from Robert Dunn Stable 5wins/29 starts $128k.

Crossed Tasman March 2021,joined Nathan Purdon Team.

Races at Melton April/May resulted 1st.1st.1st.2nd & A$41k.🤑

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Taupiri Wonder said:

Gamms,unhinged is The Alta-Ego of Nigel Armstrong,a South Island Trotting Enthusiast.

Checkout His Facebook Page "Harness Racing Unhinged"

Mantra says "we aim to bring you the human side of Harness Racing with humorous interviews of industry participants".

There are dozens of recent vids to view.I just enjoyed watching interview with Jamie Dunberger-Smith of Summit Bloodstock,across from Aussie to attend The Jewels on a working holiday.They have clocked up almost 200 Wins in 18 months.

Nigel Armstrong also gets many locals involved in Ownership via His Westview Syndicates.

A recent success story lies in 4yo Mare Spellbound,raced here from Robert Dunn Stable 5wins/29 starts $128k.

Crossed Tasman March 2021,joined Nathan Purdon Team.

Races at Melton April/May resulted 1st.1st.1st.2nd & A$41k.🤑

Of course! I did just see some of Nigel at the jewels on facebook as Brodster put us onto it. Thanks for the info about who he is. 

and he helps with syndicates etc ...what a great effort. Just the sort of bloke harness racing needs.

BTW , Spellbound is ready to spring into Brisbane here to grab a 100k mares race. Nathan is in ' 14 day quarantine' in NSW at McCarthy's so he didn't get locked down in Melbourne (which is infected apparently) so she may clash with his new star AMAZING DREAM in that ?   Think i'll go along. I want a photo of Krug too, while he's here. 

• Like 3