Bit Of A Yarn

Junior Driver Champs North verse South

Jones

Gamms,I see the main race at Albion Park tomorrow night is 'a humdrum' $25k listed race,only 7 starters.

But The Quality:

King Of Swing :current Miracle Mile Titleholder

Spankem:past Miracle Mile Winner

Turn It Up:past Auckland Cup Winner

No doubt Team McCarthy set to plunder some easy pickings with King Of Swing (drawn the ace)🤑

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Taupiri Wonder said:

Gamms,I see the main race at Albion Park tomorrow night is 'a humdrum' $25k listed race,only 7 starters.

yes the FFA open is a disgrace. Thank goodness Mark (still owns a 'Turn It Up' share) sent him over , and Spankem.

The local breds are a disaster. except for COLT THIRTY ONE . (not in this week)

Was chatting with Brodie about the cost of racing a horse earlier in year , and I had spotted SAM IS PERFECTION in a Claimer last christmas , and nearly wrote the cheque. (a 1.54 horse in full flight for just $7000 )  shame I didn't have my gear still , or would of bought him.

A FFA for a claimer ?? hahaha ......says 50-1 , but should be 500-1 to beat KING of SWING lol.......

1 311s1 KING OF SWING NZ  Belinda McCarthy   Luke McCarthy   NR120 B1  FR1 $1.40
2 73111 SAM IS PERFECTION  Jack Butler   Brendan Barnes   NR103 B1  FR2 $51
3 47123 KID MONTANA  Lola Weidemann   Lola Weidemann   NR118 B1  FR3 $17
4 55553 WATCH PULP FICTION NZ  Chantal Turpin   Chantal Turpin   NR103 B1  FR4 $34
5 51815 UNCLE JORD  Chris Frisby   Anthony Frisby   NR106 B1  FR5 $31
6 222u1 SPANKEM NZ  Darren Weeks   Kylie Rasmussen   NR120 B1  FR6 $4
7 54s79 TURN IT UP  Vicki Rasmussen   Shane Graham   NR116 B1  FR7 $10

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Not sure who unhinged is, but hope he gives harness racing a plug. We get ZERO in Qld in the media. Sky channel is only source of media coverage.

Well Gamms this is the entertainment post of the week. What a crack up. Are you feeling ok? Just the other day suggested to you, how we should of asked Unhinged to be our Guest judge on drive of season. Who did you think I was talking about lol. Brods started a positive post about how good his social media channel is, (which btw I liked every post on there), & Galahs asked how to get to channel which you were part of the convo. Nek Minnit today, NOT SURE WHO UNHINGED IS.

Bette Davis Lol GIF by O&O, Inc

3 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Was chatting with Brodie about the cost of racing a horse earlier in year , and I had spotted SAM IS PERFECTION in a Claimer last christmas , and nearly wrote the cheque. (a 1.54 horse in full flight for just $7000 )  shame I didn't have my gear still , or would of bought him.

Gee Gamms: that was certainly astute spotting.

You certainly would have had some fun racing Sam Is Perfection this year,if only you had written that cheque!

I wouldn't have let my lack of gear deter me.Plan B would be getting the talented Brittany Graham to train & drive.🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Taupiri Wonder said:

.Plan B would be getting the talented Brittany Graham to train & drive.🤭

Brittany is having a drive or 2 tomorrow night too, so won't be doing trackside Sky, or should just keep talking from the gig ??? wire her up . 

1 hour ago, Taupiri Wonder said:

You certainly would have had some fun racing Sam Is Perfection this year,if only you had written that cheque!

A DOUBLE chance miss too !! as the new trainer from Dec 22nd popped him back in a Claimer in APRIL and he got claimed back by the original owner !  crazy . I didn't see it second time round. SAM is going nicely lately too. I never had one that could run 1.54 lol...

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

Only 6 noms for the Jnr Camb race, come on trainers, just need 2 more to get the race off the ground.

Some have got the Jnr Champs coming up next month.

& need to get in & get some practice prior.

Edited by Jones

1 hour ago, Jones said:

Only 6 noms for the Jnr Camb race, come on trainers, just need 2 more to get the race off the ground.

Some have got the Jnr Champs coming up next month.

& need to get in & get some practice prior.

Fabulous 2 trainers have stepped up. Shout out to A Matthews & either J Goodfrey or S Doody for noming. So 8 noms Jnr race will get a start 👍

Id like to highlight this give & take point, I made earlier on another thread re Sugar Apple.

See they have nom-ed to get Jnrs off the ground it seems. Without them nom-ing, no Jnr race. Which is needed to prep for Jnr Champs next month.

Therefore in my mind should any of these trainers have a horse that scraps in by the rules to qualify in a high-end race, even if its the lowest rated horse or weakest horse in race, then too bad they are in.

Its about give and take. Not take-take-take when it suits 😄

• Like 1

Unfortunately it is a sad state of affairs when you  can not get enough horses nominating to assist with Juniors getting experience.

I take it is a penalty free win for the winning horse still?

This is not looking that promising for the Juniors in the North and not too sure how we can entice more young ones especially in the North!

There has to be a pathway for young ones and feel that it is an industry that is worthwhile getting into!

At the moment there is no way in hell for anyone without contacts to be able to make a worthwhile living in harness racing!

There needs to be some brainstorming from all to make this happen as without young participants coming through how can there be a midterm future for harness racing?

• Like 4

Brodie*yes,the race is penalty free for the winner.

Jonesy*final field now numbers 9 starters.

I seem to recall last month when Cambridge last carded a Junior Drivers Race with 10 starters,there were 2 scratchings,with at least one being due to no driver available!

Edited by Taupiri Wonder
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Taupiri Wonder said:

Jonesy*final field now numbers 9 starters.

I seem to recall last month when Cambridge last carded a Junior Drivers Race with 10 starters,there were 2 scratchings,with at least one being due to no driver available!

Oh really. That is not good re no driver available. Yikes that is a turn off for trainers noming then isn't it. Great 1 of the Wigg gals have stepped up too to nom. Id prefer if I had a horse that was higher rated to be 2700, as its pref draw & Camb being a front runners track, gives more time to mid-race move. 

Brodie agree with what you said in your post. See on HRNZ today a wonder announcement for a 2 month new Jnr series in special honour of a special person. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jones said:

Therefore in my mind should any of these trainers have a horse that scraps in by the rules to qualify in a high-end race, even if its the lowest rated horse or weakest horse in race, then too bad they are in.

Its about give and take. Not take-take-take when it suits 😄

Forgot to mention, just gotta get posts in before Im gagged in a week. Every race has a strongest horse in field and a weakest horse be it R40's thru to Group 1 or high profile races.

Trainer can also use discretion and say to the driver should they qualify and start to get starter fee which is usually minimum of $2k so worth starting, (make sure you stay out of everyones way). 

Edited by Jones

8 minutes ago, Jones said:

Forgot to mention, just gotta get posts in before Im gagged in a week. 

Jones/Karrot.

I am puzzled about your apprehension of 'being gagged',and posting here after the proposed Code Of Conduct & Social Media Policy Regulations HRNZ,come into effect from 1 July!

Chief Stipe has stated more than once,it will take a Court Order to attempt to identify any poster of BOAY.

A few years back,when a Rival Code Stipes/Officials threatened to charge My Trainer over comments made on Channel X,he refused to admit being the author of offending post.

Whilst the identity of his non de plume was well known,he argued his partner (also an LP) had access to his laptop,as did visiting family members (non LP's).

As such,there was no proof that he was responsible for a particular post,and no charges resulted.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Taupiri Wonder said:

Jones/Karrot.

I am puzzled about your apprehension of 'being gagged',and posting here after the proposed Code Of Conduct & Social Media Policy Regulations HRNZ,come into effect from 1 July!

Chief Stipe has stated more than once,it will take a Court Order to attempt to identify any poster of BOAY.

A few years back,when a Rival Code Stipes/Officials threatened to charge My Trainer over comments made on Channel X,he refused to admit being the author of offending post.

Whilst the identity of his non de plume was well known,he argued his partner (also an LP) had access to his laptop,as did visiting family members (non LP's).

As such,there was no proof that he was responsible for a particular post,and no charges resulted.

Like that story Taupiri thanx for sharing.

Me personally, don't want to blatantly disrespect the rules & also do so publicly. 

Yes realise could in 6 months start a new profile & post using a VPN and different email. Id feel uncomfortable in doing so. 

Just hope they have a think about it a bit more. Iv noticed Basil also another owner has not posted in a while. 3 owners so far, have gone MIA that Iv noticed since the announcement. Of course, they could just be on a sabbatical.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jones said:

Like that story Taupiri thanx for sharing.

Me personally, don't want to blatantly disrespect the rules & also do so publicly. 

Yes realise could in 6 months start a new profile & post using a VPN and different email. Id feel uncomfortable in doing so. 

Just hope they have a think about it a bit more. Iv noticed Basil also another owner has not posted in a while. 3 owners so far, have gone MIA that Iv noticed since the announcement. Of course, they could just be on a sabbatical.

Jones, what is it that you are actually worried about?

Why do you want to be controlled by people that you actually pay their wages?

Do they not want the truth?

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Jones, what is it that you are actually worried about?

Why do you want to be controlled by people that you actually pay their wages?

Do they not want the truth?

Think that is you saying you are going to miss me Brods, aww you are sweet, Ill miss many of you too! Even lil Ludwig, super sweet Ludwig liked your post. 

You know sometimes your posts wind me up, even if I don’t say so, but then sometimes too, love it when we agree on things & you are shouting things out from the rooftops! That I will miss! And esp Gamms a great poster and now also Taupiri too.

Its been fun & entertaining to say the least & Iv loved having a voice that has been heard.

If Im correct & re-read the terms … then think it maybe stretching past 30 June … as needs to go out again to consult/feedback … ?

Have enjoyed bringing a positive, but objective voice to this forum. Praised things/people & hottness hahaha, when needed praising, yet equally shouted out at things that need improving.

Just really enjoyed chatting online with others that share the same hobby. And mostly tried to focus on that. 

And of course having a quiet laugh at some of some of the fun entertaining posts that come out hahaha. That I will def miss, when its all over for me. Lets hope its not over just yet

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Jones said:

Think that is you saying you are going to miss me Brods, aww you are sweet, Ill miss many of you too! Even lil Ludwig, super sweet Ludwig liked your post. 

You know sometimes your posts wind me up, even if I don’t say so, but then sometimes too, love it when we agree on things & you are shouting things out from the rooftops! That I will miss! And esp Gamms a great poster and now also Taupiri too.

Its been fun & entertaining to say the least & Iv loved having a voice that has been heard.

If Im correct & re-read the terms … then think it maybe stretching past 30 June … as needs to go out again to consult/feedback … ?

Have enjoyed bringing a positive, but objective voice to this forum. Praised things/people & hottness hahaha, when needed praising, yet equally shouted out at things that need improving.

Just really enjoyed chatting online with others that share the same hobby. And mostly tried to focus on that. 

And of course having a quiet laugh at some of some of the fun entertaining posts that come out hahaha. That I will def miss, when its all over for me. Lets hope its not over just yet

Jones, dont be a quitter just because of some stupid rule that you dont have to abide by.

You are a very good poster and dont let the bxxxxxds beat us!

• Like 5
  • Champ Post 1

Back to topic, so number 4 for S Doody, still has no driver, think Drake is available, because he is down to drive race 9. Rapley maybe available & looks like Hanara is not currently race driving. Really hope this horse is not scratched due to lack of drivers!

What North clubs & HRNZ should do something along the lines with North being limited on Jnr numbers & horse noms. An idea

Every North Jnr race will have say 8 runners put in or 9. Set a number based on overall field noms.

Therefore if they get 7 noms for Jnr, by random selection of computer 1 or 2 others will be put in. (This selection comes only from a horse that hasn't entered in Jnr race in that season, or a horse that hasn't started with a Jnr on in those other races that include a free penalty free win with a Jnr - you can’t get randomly pulled out twice in a season).

Also have a random draw for Jnrs on horses. This is to ensure fairness & a spread between those that are putting horses into support Jnrs but have no stable Jnr. So top Jnrs aren't going on same horses that always win. Make it more competitive & give all that enter a chance to draw the top Jnr.

Also so that those Jnrs that get less drives per season & less favourable drives as they are not working in top stables, gives them a chance to get the top horse in Jnr race oppose each time a weaker one.

The bigger stables may not like this idea that their Jnr won’t be automatically put on their stable horse, BUT do you want Jnr drive races to continue on this way? Change is needed. Think of the BIG picture.

There needs to be a small fund account also, which $ can be pulled to make up driver numbers in North from South.

EG say number 4 doesn’t have a driver for argument sake, then funds $ gets used to pay for a return flight up for 1 driver to the North. Surely someone somewhere has lots of airpoints too that could be gifted.

Also the clubs need to before requesting noms or at the same time, send out an email to North Jnrs - who are available?

If get RSVP 7, you know you need to get someone up from South,

This not enough noms for North Jnr races & also then not enough Jnr drivers so a horse has to scratch, is a prob that can easily be solved with some thinking.

As Brods said Jnrs are the future.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jones said:

The bigger stables may not like this idea that their Jnr won’t be automatically put on their stable horse, BUT do you want Jnr drive races to continue on this way? Change is needed. Think of the BIG picture

OMG It's actually happened ! the racing is callapsing because the next generation didn't come through to replace the 'Old' boys ??

McKendry, Mangos, Mark +Barry + Owen Purdon, Stormont , Cooney, Wolfies 2 boys ross and glenn, Herlihy , Mitchell, Blanchard ,Smith, Hunter, Cole . (Langdon, Harris and Brosnan all pissed off to Australia) 

ALL of these some of NZ 's BEST NORTH ISLANDERs ever  involved in harness racing, and filled the race-book just 30 years ago.

30 years on. and NONE of their kids of these top line drivers, are driving in the races !!!!!!!!!!!! some are still going around themselves.

Butcher and Ferguson (if son of Peter) only 2 'next gen I can spot !!  and Bernie Hackett has young daughter just started !! Well done Bernie , and congrats to Crystal Hackett with a couple of wins already.!!!!

P.S where is Tony Cameron ???  isn't he a junior at Herlihy's ??

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

OMG It's actually happened ! the racing is callapsing because the next generation didn't come through to replace the 'Old' boys ??

McKendry, Mangos, Mark +Barry + Owen Purdon, Stormont , Cooney, Wolfies 2 boys ross and glenn, Herlihy , Mitchell, Blanchard ,Smith, Hunter, Cole . (Langdon, Harris and Brosnan all pissed off to Australia) 

Wow Gamms yes looks like based on this stats don't lie & you are correct. Think Cameron used to be a Jnr for Herlihy, Hanara is or was the stable Jnr. Cameron is senior now, thru & thru I think. Yes Ferguson is son of Ferguson. 

Update Drake is now listed as driving number 4. Great.

Still think, this North Jnr ranks etc as per ideas above needs to be taken seriously. Something needs to be implemented before North Jnr races are cancelled altogether due to lack of noms & or lack of North available drivers.  

• Like 1

The point is that the Junior ranks are so thin in the North and does not look like changing!

What can be done to alleviate this?

Probably not a heck of a lot unfortunately and most of the current Juniors are going to be battling big time when they are out of their time!

Maybe we should just base racing in Canterbury and then stake money will be better rather than propping up the North Island stakes, as they do not deserve as much!!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Brodie said:

The point is that the Junior ranks are so thin in the North and does not look like changing!

What can be done to alleviate this?

Probably not a heck of a lot unfortunately and most of the current Juniors are going to be battling big time when they are out of their time!

Maybe we should just base racing in Canterbury and then stake money will be better rather than propping up the North Island stakes, as they do not deserve as much!!

Yep, cut the cable, I'm all for that. Then the North can turn to it's great asset.......all those motorcycle gang members.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

Yep, cut the cable, I'm all for that. Then the North can turn to it's great asset.......all those motorcycle gang members.

Yep,as long as you keep all The Neo Nazi's & White Supremacists in Christchurch & Southwards.

Plus,you can keep all the motorcycle gang members with their knives in Blenheim.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Brodie said:

just base racing in Canterbury and then stake money will be better rather than propping up the North Island stakes, as they do not deserve as much!!

I imagine you jest with this Brodster. ? surely stakemoney is an even distribution via sponsers and interested parties and HRNZ, and anyone racing in industry is worthy and 'deserving' of their share, whether Ruakaka or Winton.

don't see why drivers, trainers or horse numbers in training are anything to do with it. You want to win, you turn up.  

Auckland just won the super rugby final on TV the other day against South Island Highlanders. was on tele here in Brissy even and good game.

Perhaps we should Pay the NI Auckland teams more ? and base the rugby in Auckland , (as that is where the greater numbers are who participate) and reduce the stakes (pay) to Canterbury, Otago and that as don't deserve much. (The Brodster theory?)  

Tongue in cheek by me mate, all good.

..... the Auckland/Cambridge racing has been excellent lately . give em more I say ? just need some new drivers, as you and Jones suggested.

Hey you could Get the motorcycle gangs to do Letter box 'flyer' drops all through Auckland suburbs !!!, a free dinner voucher per person at the course , all that sort of thing. My dog would love to go 'right-off' at a Harley Davison pulling up at our mail-box too !!!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Taupiri Wonder said:

Yep,as long as you keep all The Neo Nazi's & White Supremacists in Christchurch & Southwards.

Plus,you can keep all the motorcycle gang members with their knives in Blenheim.

I guess your joking,but having lived in christchurch and a handful of places south thereof,i must say i've never come across any of the racist groups you have referred to.I once did live in a town that got nationwide publicity for having a group equivalent of the kkk. But the problem with those stories was at the time there was actually only a handful of people who were recognised as belonging to that small group,and 2 of the 5 were half maori. I know from speaking to those 2 people they thought the vast media coverage was a joke,but still the media pushed the story for a good 12 months.I have at times had a job where i came across many individuals with prejudicial views based on race,but those times were most evident when media and government pushed the view that one group had been historically oppressed and unfairly treated,and whether that was true or not,the constant messaging stirred racist views,especially from the group whom it was supposed to help. 

As far as north island racing goes. As i've said before,the disastrous business decisons made by those in charge of the Auckland trotting club will haunt north island racing for many years to come. And i ask again,why do the talking heads we see on trackside continue to ignore the failings. People go on and on about the RIU,yet the Auckland trotting club can blow eye boggling tens of millions of capital they had on a failed project,and the racing media just ignore it.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2