Bit Of A Yarn

amateur drivers race

Another quinella to the wiggs,so well done to them,but there was some substandard driving in that race. First you had petes dash driven by c negus clearly knocking over 2 of the favorites after 150m,although the only reason unfazed driven by s murtha was where he was,was because he didn't bother to have his horse in its correct front line position at the start point. Then if the clock on the trackside tv is right,they ran a quarter down the back the first time in over 35 seconds,then the next one in under 29 seconds. The answer for punters is to just back the wiggs,but that wasn't a good advertisement for amateur races.

• Like 2

Well not to be out done the professionals ran a middle 800m in a sprint race  in 67seconds. Can't blame the leader cristiano buccini driven by ben hope,as anyone who has seen that horse race knows it has a very short sprint and always looks for cover.Yet we had g smith,bob butt and sarah o'reilly sit at the back on 3 of the favorites giving their horses no chance of winning,eventually  with the smith driven horse breaking because it got sick of pulling. (Just putting some balance into my topic)

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, the galah said:

Well not to be out done the professionals ran a middle 800m in a sprint race  in 67seconds. Can't blame the leader cristiano buccini driven by ben hope,as anyone who has seen that horse race knows it has a very short sprint and always looks for cover.Yet we had g smith,bob butt and sarah o'reilly sit at the back on 3 of the favorites giving their horses no chance of winning,eventually  with the smith driven horse breaking because it got sick of pulling. (Just putting some balance into my topic)

Galah, there has been some very poor drives so far today!

Yes some of the horses are pretty average, which is good for punting on!

However you might as well leave your horse at home in a nice warm stable if your driver is just going to sit back and expect to get some money!

Wouldnt say our driving ranks are overly endowed with talent at the money on average!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Galah, there has been some very poor drives so far today!

Yes some of the horses are pretty average, which is good for punting on!

However you might as well leave your horse at home in a nice warm stable if your driver is just going to sit back and expect to get some money!

Wouldnt say our driving ranks are overly endowed with talent at the money on average!

yes there was some very average driving in those first couple of races.I guess thats  why the likes of blair orange and john dunn stand out. They are such great judges of pace,and when they are there you know they will put their horse in the race if the pace is slow.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

I see they adjourned the inquiry into the interference.I can see why,as while i thought it looked initially like c negus had angled in too quick,a closer look could possibly place some blame on j buckland-stevens,who may have already started to squeeze for room  those inside her before negus then moved in on her.  Either way that race would give the stipes a headache.

I see they suspended our favorite amateur s wigg for 2 months for using the whip wrong,and mrs mcintyre also got a suspension for the same thing.

I hope they have enough amateur drivers left for the next race.Just a shame there aren't more amateur drivers with a bit of experience coming through the ranks.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, the galah said:

I see they adjourned the inquiry into the interference.I can see why,as while i thought it looked initially like c negus had angled in too quick,a closer look could possibly place some blame on j buckland-stevens,who may have already started to squeeze for room  those inside her before negus then moved in on her.  Either way that race would give the stipes a headache.

I see they suspended our favorite amateur s wigg for 2 months for using the whip wrong,and mrs mcintyre also got a suspension for the same thing.

I hope they have enough amateur drivers left for the next race.Just a shame there aren't more amateur drivers with a bit of experience coming through the ranks.

Can see you are quite keen on this topic there Galahs, 5 posts hehe, all good tho, I sometimes do the same. Anyway Ill chip in, as no-one else has except Brods.

Saw that re Wigg. (Naughty, naughty). Haven’t actually watched end of race to see the evidence of the crime. Surely enough time has passed now that drivers should of reverted to new rules … clearly no, or is it a case of just pushing boundaries … ?

Wonder where Basil is, hasn’t posted in a while. Earth calling Basil.

Wondering where that list you started Basil on whip use is with warnings, suspensions etc? Think you said you would present it after a few months. Unhinged mentioned he was keen to see it, actually I was too 😄

• Like 2

The amateur races are just that, AMATEUR RACES!!!

The Stipes come down a lot harder on the AMATEURS than the professionals!

They are out there for the fun of it and if you offload on them, then you have to take the good with the bad, I wouldve thought?

You take your chances when you bet into them, and we shouldnt complain afterwards as they are amateurs and receive no financial compensation for their efforts!

There are some amateur drivers in the professional ranks going by many of the drives today.

Yes conditions may have been wet, however why on earth the horses at the back today were not put into the races is hard to fathom!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

The amateur races are just that, AMATEUR RACES!!!

The Stipes come down a lot harder on the AMATEURS than the professionals!

They are out there for the fun of it and if you offload on them, then you have to take the good with the bad, I wouldve thought?

You take your chances when you bet into them, and we shouldnt complain afterwards as they are amateurs and receive no financial compensation for their efforts!

You seem to have changed your tune,as i remember you complaining about the driving on amateur races in the past.

I don't agree with your change to your above stated position though.Reasonable standards of driving should apply no matter what the level. If they don't ,someone will get hurt.I'm sure those competing in the amateur ranks would accept that.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, the galah said:

You seem to have changed your tune,as i remember you complaining about the driving on amateur races in the past.

I don't agree with your change to your above stated position though.Reasonable standards of driving should apply no matter what the level. If they don't ,someone will get hurt.I'm sure those competing in the amateur ranks would accept that.

Galah, I have always maintained that amateurs are just that and shouldnt be treated as harshly as the paid professionals!

The Stipes seem to always step in and at the end of the day we can only hope that they continue to improve but that is possibly not that likely! 
I am wondering just how many new amateurs there are in the pipeline to replace the current ones?

Personally I used to offload on amateur races, but do not bother now as they are just so unpredictable and really shouldnt be tote betting on them!

However, it does give a lot of horses that have met their mark an opportunity to race!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, paleface adios said:

all kiwis driver like amateurs ffs put your horses in the race eye ball them 

I agree. Some New Zealand drivers remind me of teams in the current Euro football....spend all their time passing the ball back and sideways. Get it forward.

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Freda said:

I note that amateur riders in the gallops code are no longer allowed to use the whip.   Would that work ok for the harness folk?

Freds, probably not.

A lot of he horses that race in amateur races are cunning and just wouldnt run

No good if tote betting!

Do not sorry about SAFE they do not care about it!

I think c wigg probably deserves more credit than she gets.

She certainly has an amazing record on the horse dreaminsover. I've never thought it would win more than 1 race,but its now won 5 times.. Its had 133 starts and c wigg has driven it 8 times  for 4 wins and a placing.  Not even blair orange could have got that horse to perform like c wigg has.

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, the galah said:

I think c wigg probably deserves more credit than she gets.

She certainly has an amazing record on the horse dreaminsover. I've never thought it would win more than 1 race,but its now won 5 times.. Its had 133 starts and c wigg has driven it 8 times  for 4 wins and a placing.  Not even blair orange could have got that horse to perform like c wigg has.

Think Bruce Negus has made a big difference!

Didnt Steve Lock have it for over 100 starts, so that says something!

Think it likes being in Canterbury rather than freezing Southland.

• Like 2