Bit Of A Yarn

How long will we remain in Level Four in New Zealand?

Although @curious given your age and the fact you have been a heavy smoker it is probably advisable for you to get vaccinated.

My primary concern is and always has been the vaccination of under 16 year olds.  The long term safety data just isn't available yet.  Given they have next to no risk, much much less than the flu, then I believe it is unethical to vaccinate them.

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

By my count, currently the Covid vaccine thus far has killed more people in NZ than the Delta variant has...

Edited by Yankiwi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Although @curious given your age and the fact you have been a heavy smoker it is probably advisable for you to get vaccinated.

My primary concern is and always has been the vaccination of under 16 year olds.  The long term safety data just isn't available yet.  Given they have next to no risk, much much less than the flu, then I believe it is unethical to vaccinate them.

Why? Given that even freshly vaccinated, the benefit evidence against Delta is doubtful, if the current outbreak is quashed in NZ and there is no other and therefore no risk for say 6 months, it will certainly be largely ineffective by then, especially against any new variant. Already those who were vaccinated early, in Feb and March probably would have little protection against a new variant.

1 minute ago, curious said:

Why? Given that even freshly vaccinated, the benefit evidence against Delta is doubtful, if the current outbreak is quashed in NZ and there is no other and therefore no risk for say 6 months, it will certainly be largely ineffective by then, especially against any new variant. Already those who were vaccinated early, in Feb and March probably would have little protection against a new variant.

True.  At this rate NZ will never reopen.  Suggest if any of your horses have talent then get them to OZ.

14 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

True.  At this rate NZ will never reopen.  Suggest if any of your horses have talent then get them to OZ.

I agree. If re-opening is contingent on a substantial proportion of the population being in an effective vaccination status by the end of the year say, re-opening can't happen based on the current vaccine strategy and the evidence at hand. Even the short-lived re-opening strategy with Australia has failed miserably and any re-opening is as much dependent on the rest of the world as it is on NZ. We may be in our own national bubble for some time to come.

4 minutes ago, curious said:

I agree. If re-opening is contingent on a substantial proportion of the population being in an effective vaccination status by the end of the year say, re-opening can't happen based on the current vaccine strategy and the evidence at hand. Even the short-lived re-opening strategy with Australia has failed miserably and any re-opening is as much dependent on the rest of the world as it is on NZ. We may be in our own national bubble for some time to come.

NZ can't afford it and I doubt the population will remain compliant forever.  In terns of compliance there are cracks emerging everywhere.

What's the thoughts on this trial?

Seems to be more along the line of a normal kind of vaccine to me, but I'm not very clued up on the subject.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/rotorua-daily-post/news/covid-19-coronavirus-trials-start-in-papamoa-and-rotorua-for-possible-new-vaccine/AR6GKWCXSITKVRI5LVQSQA3TC4/

or

https://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/news/126099487/covid19-new-european-vaccine-being-trialled-in-nelson

Edited by Yankiwi

30 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

Seems promising to me.