Bit Of A Yarn

Paul Shailer Starts Again!

Paul Shailer granted trainer’s licence for fresh start in racing

Paul Shailer in his former role working for Chris Waller. Picture: AAPPaul Shailer in his former role working for Chris Waller. Picture: AAP

By Ben Dorries
01:18pm • 22 September 2021

Paul Shailer will get a fresh start to his racing journey, granted a trainer’s license and set to have his first runners at Port Macquarie on Sunday.

Shailer is a former Kiwi who had a 14-year working association with Chris Waller, most recently as his Queensland stable foreman.

Shailer resigned earlier in the year but his pathway to become a trainer was cleared when Queensland racing integrity officials revealed no charges would be laid over a party probe following the Gold Coast Magic Millions.

Shailer told News Corp in March he was hoping to resume a full-time career working in the racing industry which he loves.

Racing NSW has now granted Shailer a trainer’s license and he has 22 boxes at Port Macquarie on the NSW mid-north coast.

It is understood Shailer is keen to build his horse numbers over time, support the local Port Macquarie club and also travel his horses throughout NSW and also south-east Queensland.

Port Macquarie is 400km from Sydney and 510km from Brisbane.

11941c0ac7e5c9165e70f03ead1e2849

Paul Shailer.

Contacted on Wednesday, Shailer said he was excited to starting his new venture in racing but didn’t want to make further comment until after he had his first runners.

Shailer has three runners entered at Port Macquarie on Sunday, including former Waller galloper Relucent which will race in the Port Macquarie Cup Prelude (1800m).

Since resigning from Waller‘s, Shailer has sometimes been seen at the races in Brisbane where he has saddled up runners for Matt Dunn.

9e74bfe822589a4dcd37ed1b648ec93d

Paul Shailer at Eagle Farm in March, with jockey Michael Cahill. Picture: Grant Peters – Trackside Photography

As for Mr Shailer , Paul is a nice guy but struggles with pressure , people that worked for him said he could lose the plot real quick . I always found him easy to talk to and helpful , he can train so i hope for his sake that he can make it work . Was engaged to Phil Cataldo's daughter , don't know if they are still together tho .

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Snagged his first winner when Swing The Tide bolted in on Sat at Port Macquarie, hot fav so no value, but she'll win many more me thinks. 

Wrapped for the owners Mark and Diane , salt of the earth people , hopefully the mare wins plenty they deserve it , have put plenty in over the years .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

BTW, do any of you good buggers that live near Otaki remember the 'Ewans'? They lived on or near the track apparently, a way long time ago though.

I've been around the area for nearly 30 years and name doesn't ring a bell , not that that means anything can barely remember yesterday dinner , any other info might jog memory .

47 minutes ago, nomates said:

I've been around the area for nearly 30 years and name doesn't ring a bell , not that that means anything can barely remember yesterday dinner , any other info might jog memory .

About 73/74 NM, I think they may have lived in the house K Zimmerman moved into......they came from Hawera, I had my first race ride for them, Ben Conway, no big deal, just wondering and melting here as it's 33 today and 100% humidity.....the water temp is already 22 for Gods sake.

30 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

About 73/74 NM, I think they may have lived in the house K Zimmerman moved into......they came from Hawera, I had my first race ride for them, Ben Conway, no big deal, just wondering and melting here as it's 33 today and 100% humidity.....the water temp is already 22 for Gods sake.

Nah sorry nothing , I'm in Oakura , just south of New Plymouth for the weekend , raining and about 18 so stop moaning I know where I'd rather be .

• Like 1

Being the icon that is, The Gold Coast on a brilliant day like today has to rely on the visitors down from Brisbane for the day, it's busy, but not like it was, Coolangatta is worse, the cafes and pubs have done it hard, so many closed never to re-open, Monday to Friday it looks like a deserted movie set, there has been suicides and bankruptcies as you have had in NZ, but the press is heavily behind Queen Anne, so little reported, at night to see the high rise hotels with very few lights on is disheartening and it will take years to recover. Queenstown maybe able to empathise, but the Goldie is a 365 day 24/7 holiday icon, and everyone is so looking forward to the international flights coming back.......NZ will be first, from the South Island, so Freda has no excuse, come over and get a suntan, great cheap food, half the price of Queenstown, and racing every Sat by the sea........

1 hour ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Being the icon that is, The Gold Coast on a brilliant day like today has to rely on the visitors down from Brisbane for the day, it's busy, but not like it was, Coolangatta is worse, the cafes and pubs have done it hard, so many closed never to re-open, Monday to Friday it looks like a deserted movie set, there has been suicides and bankruptcies as you have had in NZ, but the press is heavily behind Queen Anne, so little reported, at night to see the high rise hotels with very few lights on is disheartening and it will take years to recover. Queenstown maybe able to empathise, but the Goldie is a 365 day 24/7 holiday icon, and everyone is so looking forward to the international flights coming back.......NZ will be first, from the South Island, so Freda has no excuse, come over and get a suntan, great cheap food, half the price of Queenstown, and racing every Sat by the sea........

Hopefully be there for the next winter carnival , plan is 10 days covering 2 Saturday's , our best friend's sister and family live up the road from Doomben and Eagle Farm , so the 3 of us will head over and get to the races and hopefully an NRL game , might be able to catch up and talk some crap . Be fun .

All up to the covid situation .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

I-50 was the best they bet, she might just sneak a black type sometime this season, might just be the winter carnival NM, ''you never never know if you never never go''!

She wasn't a long way off in some of the 3yo black type races she competed in , often the usual reason cost her , poor rides . She will get better with time so wouldn't surprise to see her pick off something like the Caloundra Cup . 

We will be there just a matter of which year .