Bit Of A Yarn

Racing Industry "Wellbeing" Campaign

2 hours ago, nomates said:

Really , who in their right mind is going to NZTR for help if they are feeling mentally fragile or being bullied , no one goes to NZTR for anything , industry participants on the whole know they are useless . Your likely to end up in worse condition .

On top of anything else this sort of thing should have been done 30/40/ years ago , far too late now , most employers that are left and serious have worked this out for themselves and make sure they're staff are looked after .

So yet again we stand looking at the stable door sitting wide open .

It's an easy win , tick box exercise simple as that really, no real accountability on delivery with an initiative like this , so just like they like it - Tick!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

The site is hosted on Amazon servers using Drupal.  Have no idea who their web developer is but why they have chosen Drupal is beyond me.  

Seems they have really spent large (sarcasm font) and are using this site to develop their website.

https://platform.sh/

Suspect they have gone with a small developer who really doesn't know what they are doing.

That seems to be their modus operandi , getting people on board who have very few clues , i suspect that the small operator is a mate of a mate of someone who doesn't know what they are doing at NZTR .

Just now, nomates said:

Someone is watching BOAY .

I imagine it was found pretty quickly.  The problem was easy to identify and fix.  It may have even been a last minute change that hadn't been cache updates with their CDN Cloudflare.  I can't understand why they bother with Cloudflare when the audience is local not global.  But then TAB NZ use it as well and it is the source of some of their problems.

• Haha 1

Yeahh no biggie but as you said, it should have been tested and the documents proof-read before going live.

More of a worry is this:

When you fill in the fields below, all your information stays confidential - and one of our expert advisors will get in touch

Confidential to whom or what? How will it be stored? How do I access it? This is health information and needs to be managed in compliance with the HIP Code 2020. And, who are these "experts"? I'm not sure that NZTR has the same idea about what expertise is as I do. Are they health professionals bound by a code of ethics?

I'm not sure I'd be very comfortable sending that sort of private information winging its way into the ether to some unknown destination for perusal by some unknown person/s. Would you?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, curious said:

I don't.  

But anyway do you think a lot of this is written to snitch on licensee employers?  Just some of the wording.

For example why would you as an employee contact need to contact the Racing Integrity Board over a bullying issue?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I don't.  

But anyway do you think a lot of this is written to snitch on licensee employers?  Just some of the wording.

For example why would you as an employee contact need to contact the Racing Industry Board over a bullying issue?

I think you mean the Racing Integrity Board. I would think the stipes would be an option to address and monitor it.

12 minutes ago, curious said:

I think you mean the Racing Integrity Board. I would think the stipes would be an option to address and monitor it.

Yes I did mean the Integrity Board.

Why the Stipes when they don't have the licensor relationship nor the employer one?  Don't they have enough to work on without extending their remit?

At the end of the day the Employer relationship is governed by legislation that the RIB have no control over let alone any expertise in.

• Haha 1

On 9/28/2021 at 2:29 PM, Chief Stipe said:

I don't.  

For example why would you as an employee contact need to contact the Racing Integrity Board over a bullying issue?

I can give you one reason, I've witnessed employee's and some trainers bullied by other staff at Hatrick, the bullied people went to management and every time the bully won, hence the reason some staff left or were pushed.

Can't remember how many years back but at a members meeting Greg Kerr from GRNZ was present, he stood up after witnessing much infighting and bickering (common place) and said no other club had the bullying, undercurrents and back stabbing that Hatrick had.

He actually employed a independent person to engage with trainers and staff to try sort issues, (I suspect many were to scared to speak up for fear of names leaked and retribution)

Other trainers will remember this, those issues were still present till racing was suspended.

I can see the need for help and support and the benefits to those needing it.

4 minutes ago, A Dogs Life said:

I can give you one reason, I've witnessed employee's and some trainers bullied by other staff at Hatrick, the bullied people went to management and every time the bully won, hence the reason some staff left or were pushed.

Can't remember how many years back but at a members meeting Greg Kerr from GRNZ was present, he stood up after witnessing much infighting and bickering (common place) and said no other club had the bullying, undercurrents and back stabbing that Hatrick had.

He actually employed a independent person to engage with trainers and staff to try sort issues, (I suspect many were to scared to speak up for fear of names leaked and retribution)

Other trainers will remember this, those issues were still present till racing was suspended.

I can see the need for help and support and the benefits to those needing it.

LMAO if they think they are going to be hiring people to deal in club politics, pickering etc they will need a small army of employers in the racing industry to deal with that.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2021 at 3:12 PM, Huey said:

LMAO if they think they are going to be hiring people to deal in club politics, pickering etc they will need a small army of employers in the racing industry to deal with that.

They did hire someone, but he couldn't solve it and it was put in the to hard basket. Then years later Paul Freeman started sorting it when he took over at Hatrick until they pushed him out. I'd put money on it if Paul was still in charge Hatrick it wouldn't have closed. Christchurch had track issues so put a plan into action and re did track, guess difference is they have leadership and vision.

2 minutes ago, A Dogs Life said:

They did hire someone, but he couldn't solve it and it was put in the to hard basket. Then years later Paul Freeman started sorting it when he took over at Hatrick until they pushed him out. I'd put money on it if Paul was still in charge Hatrick it wouldn't have closed. Christchurch had track issues so put a plan into action and re did track, guess difference is they have leadership and vision.

Has Hatrick stopped racing?