Bit Of A Yarn

~JMac...

12 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Included in those 30 out rides as @Joe Bloggs concurred he had some shockers which normally he would have put away.  I recall Dufficy and Radley making the same observation as I did.  

I suppose it is a bit like what Hugh Bowman said recently about his own riding.  That it has taken him a while to come down from WINX and to get that sharpness back and into the zone.  JMac will go through a period where he is in the zone and he may well be entering one of those now.  Although I'm not sure he is the best rider for Nature Strip as he doesn't seem to settle for JMac much the same as Verry Elleegant doesn't.  

As for bad tracks and draws those things have very little effect on the stats as when in form it doesn't worry JMac. 

Don't get me wrong he is a champion rider and I've been consistent in saying that.  However in my opinion often when he hits a flat patch his timing is a fraction off.  I recall reading recently where he often rings past Jockey's to discuss his rides - I think one of those is Pumper.

Warwick Farm Race 6 Stewards Report:

Rebel Rama – began awkwardly, shifted in and made contact with Parachuter. From a wide barrier 
was then shifted behind runners in the early stages. Passing the 300m, had to be steadied and shifted 
out to avoid the heels of Daralina Belle (J McDonald) which shifted out when not fully clear. Whilst the 
Stewards advised J McDonald that he should exercise more care in similar circumstances, the 
Stewards were satisfied that J McDonald had corrected his mount at the earliest opportunity when 
realising he was causing interference to Rebel Rama

As i said he has bad days , he's human .

And the stipes had a chat to him , which i what i expected , it wasn't bad interference , movement happens in most races . 

But you can have the bone .

1 hour ago, nomates said:

What It's Me up to Joe , haven't seen her this spring , a real talent , could have been anything if she was sound .

It's Me has been turned out. Her tendon looks brilliant, this is the second time she damaged it and the rehab was amazing and I mean amazing. They thought to push her toward the Kossie was just not going to work and with the massive prize money available they erred on the side of caution. She'll be back, only a month if I recall, and if she can replicate that turn of foot she'll win a Gr1 mares at least. 

• Like 1

'Although I'm not sure he is the best rider for Nature Strip as he doesn't seem to settle for JMac much the same as Verry Elleegant doesn't.'

2 multi grp winners

Nature Strip -$9million earnings rated the worlds best sprinter.

Verry Elegant voted HOTY-earnings $9 million plus

Go figure!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, holy ravioli said:

'Although I'm not sure he is the best rider for Nature Strip as he doesn't seem to settle for JMac much the same as Verry Elleegant doesn't.'

2 multi grp winners

Nature Strip -$9million earnings rated the worlds best sprinter.

Verry Elegant voted HOTY-earnings $9 million plus

Go figure!  

Again you are blinded by Statistics.

As I said I thought something was wrong with Verry Elleegant at its last start.  On the field position it was in she would normally be throwing her head around.  Vets gave the all clear after the run.

40 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

NS has settled for JMac this campaign.

Blinded by stats!...sorry about that ...Chief=reality vs percetion.

What's percetion?

Now my perception is @holy ravioli that your recent surge in posting activity is motivated not by an interest in racing but something else.  What would that be?

Perhaps we should review some of your predictions vs The Chief Stipes?

11 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

He has had 2 runs this prep for a 1st and a 2nd-settled both times.

His last 5 starts are 3 wins and 2 seconds...sorry about that ...Chief.(bloody stats)Lol.

You entirely miss the point which isn't surprising as your whole raison d'etre appears to be one of attacking the Chief Stipe.  

JMac is a champion Jockey of which there is no disagreement.  However in your blind adulation and/or blinding raison d'etre you ignore the fact that he does have "off" periods and that some horses don't relax or work with his style of riding.

With regard to Nature Strip I suppose you say the fact that he settled for Jamie Kah was all about Nature Strip and not the Jockey?  Or was it to do with Waller changing Nature Strip's training and working on getting him to settle?

2 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

You entirely miss the point which isn't surprising as your whole raison d'etre appears to be one of attacking the Chief Stipe.  

JMac is a champion Jockey of which there is no disagreement.  However in your blind adulation and/or blinding raison d'etre you ignore the fact that he does have "off" periods and that some horses don't relax or work with his style of riding.

With regard to Nature Strip I suppose you say the fact that he settled for Jamie Kah was all about Nature Strip and not the Jockey?  Or was it to do with Waller changing Nature Strip's training and working on getting him to settle?

Let's keep it simple...did NS settle for JMac this prep?Try yes or no...its that type  of question.p.s my surge is because you have lifted my ban,imposed because????

I have been 'interested in racing for 40 years.

13 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

did NS settle for JMac this prep?Try yes or no

Yes.  But the work was done well before race day.  Waller has been reported as deliberately tackling the problem in training and trials.  

Now you are going to say that well had nothing to do with JMac in the first instance.  Correct.  But that doesn't negate the fact that some horses settle better for some Jockey's and their riding styles than others.

I've seen if first hand with the horses I've owned.  One horse hated Michael Walker and tossed him behind the gates.  Didn't gallop off just tossed him.  Never did that with any other Jockey.

Back to JMac - my assessment of his style is he only goes forward onto the pace if he has no option or the horse takes him there.  Otherwise he sits just behind the pace or back further and then times a run.

You may well have a different opinion.  Contrary to what you think it isn't a pissing contest.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yes.  But the work was done well before race day.  Waller has been reported as deliberately tackling the problem in training and trials.  

I have seen Waller interviewed after both NS and VE have won where he has given huge credit to JMc for the  work he has done with both the horses in training .

I'm outa here now , this bone is getting a bit skinny now .

6 hours ago, nomates said:

I have seen Waller interviewed after both NS and VE have won where he has given huge credit to JMc for the  work he has done with both the horses in training .

I'm outa here now , this bone is getting a bit skinny now .

Bandage on near hind NM, got clipped from the winner when she came out off the fence as you saw, pulled up a treat though and J Mac pretty impressed......he was reprimanded though, no suspension as he straightened straight away.....said the stipes......

• Like 1

EXCLUSIVE J-Mac column: Nature Strip to go into ‘beast mode’ in Everest

James McDonald is tipping a huge run by Nature Strip in The Everest. Picture: Getty ImagesJames McDonald is tipping a huge run by Nature Strip in The Everest. Picture: Getty Images

By James McDonald
03:24am • 15 October 2021
Comments

Everest day has almost arrived and I won’t be complaining if we end on a genuine wet track.

It’s going to be rain affected on Saturday regardless of if we get any more rain and Nature Strip is very good in the wet.

The rail goes back into the true but I’d expect the track to chop out and whatever the rating is, I think it will race a bit slower because of the wear and tear. The track has had plenty of racing over the past couple of months.

I’m really happy with how the barrier draw has played out for Nature Strip.

In The Everest last year and in The Shorts a few weeks ago we drew inside Eduardo and he race outside us and crossed.

This time we’ve drawn out in 10 so I can just ride our own race and not worry about what those inside us are doing. I think that is a big plus for Nature Strip.

He’s been relaxing so beautifully this preparation and in the past, that’s been half the battle with him.

When he conserves his energy and reels off a last 600m, there’s not many that can run past him.

He’s had the most brilliant preparation he’s had in his life, it’s been faultless, and Chris (Waller) is a grand final trainer.

This preparation has set up for him to produce a performance like he did in the TJ (Smith) back in April when he was third-up like he is on Saturday.

Fair play if anything can run past him. If he gets beaten on Saturday, it’s a case of he simply wasn’t good enough on the day, beaten by a better horse, no excuses.

But I don’t think that will be the case. I think on Saturday we’re going to see Nature Strip in beast mode.

Of the others in the race, if the track was to come up a (soft) six or better I think there are six chances, the others being Classique Legend, Eduardo, Gytrash, Trekking and Home Affairs.

Sydney Racing

James McDonald has named Eduardo (yellow) and Gytrash (blue/white) as Nature Strip’s biggest dangers in The Everest. Picture: Getty Images

If it was a (soft) seven or worse cut that to three. Eduardo and Gytrash are the other two.

As good as Classique Legend is, I think first-up, heavy conditions, good luck.

If Classique Legend runs over the top of us, he is the best sprinter in the world, dead set.

The horse I’m riding in the Sydney Stakes, Signore Fox wouldn’t have been out of place in The Everest field if it was going to be dry on Saturday and that’s my worry with him.

He’s given me the best feel in his two trials and I think he’s going better than ever but the track might be a bit softer than he likes it.

Shared Ambition is a horse that’s knocking on the door. He’s just a good honest galloper that will give a sight again in the Craven Plate.

I like this filly Fangirl in the Reginald Allen.

There are good raps from the stable, unlucky in her first couple of starts then bolted in last time.

She’s a prospect.

My ride in The Kosciuszko is a horse called Spiranac. He’s got some handy form and it wouldn’t be a complete shock.

Sydney Racing

James McDonald was all smiles when receiving the news he’d be linking back up with Zaaki in the Cox Plate. Picture: Getty Images

I got the green light to go to Melbourne on Thursday to ride Zaaki next week and looking back at his run at Caulfield, it’s wasn’t exactly what I wanted to see leading up into the Cox Plate but for whatever reason it’s been a graveyard race over the years.

Think back a few years, Winx wasn’t her dominant self there winning that same race before her second Cox Plate win and Russian Camelot was beaten at short quote last year then was the first Aussie home in the Cox Plate.

Zaaki didn’t look comfortable from the moment he left the gates but I’m sure it will prove nothing more than a bump in the road.

Penrith got beaten in the first week of the finals too, didn’t they?

Good luck on Saturday and go Nature Strip.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

On 10/14/2021 at 11:43 AM, nomates said:
On 10/14/2021 at 11:21 AM, Chief Stipe said:

and the results are there for us all to enjoy. ......  well  done Mr Waller and Jmac and all the stats from Rav and Nomates . Adds up to one impressive finale !!....

On 10/15/2021 at 2:49 PM, Chief Stipe said:

EXCLUSIVE J-Mac column: Nature Strip to go into ‘beast mode’ in Everest

You can say that again !!! and some crowd and a 80 year old NS  owner 'Jack' sitting there enjoying it !!  how cool. !!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chief Stipe said:

I can't get over how dear old Emily Bosson on Trackside hasn't mentioned once the significant NZ Ownership in the horse.

Paddy Harrison, Peter Kean, Steve Hansen.

Yes maybe NS has signifigant Nz ownership too. Old Jack on tele here said he was the only owner present.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, nomates said:

Not bad for a man out of form . Great to see D Oliver have a great day also .

He was for a period but the Flemington track and its condition today suits his preferred style.

I'm getting a bit wary of Rosehill and Randwick.  They are cutting out for some reason and often lately there is a bias.

16 hours ago, nomates said:

Not bad for a man out of form . Great to see D Oliver have a great day also .

Olly is 2 lengths in front of J Mac at this moment, and holding......in 35 years time will J Mac have done what Olly has done, that is the question, having said that, if J Mac rang me for a ride, yep, I'd put him on.......Olly was my next door neighbour for 6 years and his ride when winning the Showday Cup on Submariner as a young apprentice was sublime, he rides as good now as he did then,  but he's still got the first dollar he ever earned, tight as a fish's backside!.......

• Like 1