Bit Of A Yarn

~JMac...

Off to a good start today at WF...2 Rides 2 wins.

'He has a specific style that centres around timing the last run and from time to time either his timing is off or the tracks don't suit.'

Makes a nonsense of this statement...trailed and pounced  -R1 and led in R2.

I see alot of this 'tall poppy' knocking.Whether its Lewis Hamilton(has the fastest car)...Waller(look at the numbers)

Ali(didn't have the power of Tyson,etc)

Champions are champions because they are dominators.

Boss’ big call: J-Mac ‘the best jockey I’ve seen’ - Racenet-----sorry about that...Chief.

• Like 1

You beat me to it , was going to post that he had won the 1st and that the rest of his mounts for the day are the fav for they're races . The Aus punters don't believe he is out of form . 

He sits on a horse like no other , so beautifully balanced . 

The one thing i have learnt is that jocks can't get off and carry horses over the line , some times the horse just isn't good enough . 

2 minutes ago, nomates said:

You beat me to it , was going to post that he had won the 1st and that the rest of his mounts for the day are the fav for they're races . The Aus punters don't believe he is out of form . 

He sits on a horse like no other , so beautifully balanced . 

The one thing i have learnt is that jocks can't get off and carry horses over the line , some times the horse just isn't good enough . 

He is so good that his mounts are usually...unders.

Success gets success.

2 hours ago, holy ravioli said:

I see alot of this 'tall poppy' knocking.

You see that's where your statistical focus/bias clouds your observational skills.

If you bother to search BOAY you will find where I have often lauded JMac.  On more than one occasion over recent years myself and other posters have noticed that he goes through flat spots with questionable rides.  Then he finds form again and holds it for some time - that's when you can bet with confidence on him.

That isn't 'tall poppy' knocking it is just an observation.  

Yes his strike rate holds up over time but given the class of horse he gets to ride there can be periods with a wide variation.

5 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

You see that's where your statistical focus/bias clouds your observational skills.

If you bother to search BOAY you will find where I have often lauded JMac.  On more than one occasion over recent years myself and other posters have noticed that he goes through flat spots with questionable rides.  Then he finds form again and holds it for some time - that's when you can bet with confidence on him.

That isn't 'tall poppy' knocking it is just an observation.  

Yes his strike rate holds up over time but given the class of horse he gets to ride there can be periods with a wide variation.

Sorry about that chief.

Perhaps you can name a jockey who doesn't experience 'flat spots' and imperfect rides!

p.s the people who give him these class rides are not...blind.Lol.

20 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

The topic is not about me.or any assumptions.Just facts.

Well I'm glad we all agree about that.  Therefore you will agree that JMac like any top Jockey has periods where his strike rate is significantly below his average.  I remember @Newmarket commenting last year when the NZ TAB was running specials on JMac and he couldn't fire a shot!

For example his current strike rate is 1 win in every 4.5 rides.  Yet in September he went 17 rides without a winner.  More recently 13 rides without a winner.

46 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Not such a good ride in Race 6 though was it?!

Though only an R72 race.  

Sorry chief , your stretching it if you are blaming the ride for this filly getting beaten , this filly was stepping up from to mid week city grade , JMac gave her a nice run in behind but was forced to go inside as they bunched around the bend , he was trying to get her off the inside oblivious that the other horse was closing in behind , took corrective measures as soon as he knew and IMO the inexperienced filly overreacted , end off . JMac will probably be having a word in his ear .

The filly was beaten by a better horse on the day , had she won could well have lost it in the room , but you can't say it was a poor ride .  

10 minutes ago, nomates said:

JMac gave her a nice run in behind but was forced to go inside as they bunched around the bend

The eventual winner followed him around the bend.

10 minutes ago, nomates said:

he was trying to get her off the inside oblivious that the other horse was closing in behind

I thought once you straightened for home and you were in front you had to keep to your line.  In my opinion he let the horse keep running out and didn't correct before he realised (shouldn't have been oblivious) there was a horse outside him with an overlap.  When he corrected the horse it responded immediately.  Can't blame the horse it did exactly what the Jockey asked it to do.

10 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

The eventual winner followed him around the bend.

I thought once you straightened for home and you were in front you had to keep to your line.  In my opinion he let the horse keep running out and didn't correct before he realised (shouldn't have been oblivious) there was a horse outside him with an overlap.  When he corrected the horse it responded immediately.  Can't blame the horse it did exactly what the Jockey asked it to do.

So are you saying his mount should have won!

18 minutes ago, nomates said:

Sorry chief , your stretching it if you are blaming the ride for this filly getting beaten , this filly was stepping up from to mid week city grade , JMac gave her a nice run in behind but was forced to go inside as they bunched around the bend , he was trying to get her off the inside oblivious that the other horse was closing in behind , took corrective measures as soon as he knew and IMO the inexperienced filly overreacted , end off . JMac will probably be having a word in his ear .

The filly was beaten by a better horse on the day , had she won could well have lost it in the room , but you can't say it was a poor ride .  

Just need to add to that, my mate is an owner, I've just spoken to him, he's also in the filly we brought across from NZ earlier this year, he's also in It's Me, he's one of the luckiest buggers I know, he's happy with the ride, I've just heard the audio from Matt Smith, he's happy too......when J Mac let her head go she floundered, she's that talented she surprised James the way she fought to the line, the winner is no slouch and is bred to be a muddy......they are excited going forward, bring on the 4 pillars!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Well I'm glad we all agree about that.  Therefore you will agree that JMac like any top Jockey has periods where his strike rate is significantly below his average.  I remember @Newmarket commenting last year when the NZ TAB was running specials on JMac and he couldn't fire a shot!

For example his current strike rate is 1 win in every 4.5 rides.  Yet in September he went 17 rides without a winner.  More recently 13 rides without a winner.

Try reading the posts='Perhaps you can name a jockey who doesn't experience 'flat spots' and imperfect rides!

p.s he had 9 rides the other day!

28 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Just need to add to that, my mate is an owner, I've just spoken to him, he's also in the filly we brought across from NZ earlier this year, he's also in It's Me, he's one of the luckiest buggers I know, he's happy with the ride, I've just heard the audio from Matt Smith, he's happy too......when J Mac let her head go she floundered, she's that talented she surprised James the way she fought to the line, the winner is no slouch and is bred to be a muddy......they are excited going forward, bring on the 4 pillars!!

What It's Me up to Joe , haven't seen her this spring , a real talent , could have been anything if she was sound .

59 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

He rode 3 winners out of 7 rides today , strike rate of 1 in 2.33 rides , half his current strike rate , does that mean he was on fire today .

The 17 and 13 rides without a winner each equate to about 2 days of racing as he usually has a full book , i wouldn't think 2 quiet days equates to a barren patch . A couple of days without a winner can be down to a whole raft of reasons , track conditions , bad draws , any number of things .

We all have bad days , if your having 1 bad day we don't tell you your a grumpy bastard we just say your having an off day , for what ever reason , a week of it well then maybe you are just a grumpy bastard . 

Or maybe you are just , a grumpy bastard . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nomates said:

The 17 and 13 rides without a winner each equate to about 2 days of racing as he usually has a full book , i wouldn't think 2 quiet days equates to a barren patch . A couple of days without a winner can be down to a whole raft of reasons , track conditions , bad draws , any number of things .

Included in those 30 out rides as @Joe Bloggs concurred he had some shockers which normally he would have put away.  I recall Dufficy and Radley making the same observation as I did.  

I suppose it is a bit like what Hugh Bowman said recently about his own riding.  That it has taken him a while to come down from WINX and to get that sharpness back and into the zone.  JMac will go through a period where he is in the zone and he may well be entering one of those now.  Although I'm not sure he is the best rider for Nature Strip as he doesn't seem to settle for JMac much the same as Verry Elleegant doesn't.  

As for bad tracks and draws those things have very little effect on the stats as when in form it doesn't worry JMac. 

Don't get me wrong he is a champion rider and I've been consistent in saying that.  However in my opinion often when he hits a flat patch his timing is a fraction off.  I recall reading recently where he often rings past Jockey's to discuss his rides - I think one of those is Pumper.

Warwick Farm Race 6 Stewards Report:

Rebel Rama – began awkwardly, shifted in and made contact with Parachuter. From a wide barrier 
was then shifted behind runners in the early stages. Passing the 300m, had to be steadied and shifted 
out to avoid the heels of Daralina Belle (J McDonald) which shifted out when not fully clear. Whilst the 
Stewards advised J McDonald that he should exercise more care in similar circumstances, the 
Stewards were satisfied that J McDonald had corrected his mount at the earliest opportunity when 
realising he was causing interference to Rebel Rama