Bit Of A Yarn

Bye Tony Lee

We have a young lady calling the dogs in MEL at the moment, she is dreadful, I'm not sexist or a misogynist just discerning. They do some crazy shit in VIC, gender equality must be the reasoning for this, we all know the Dishlicker people are a chromosome short however they'd be better off exhuming Bill Collins to call Healesville than allow this to continue.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

On 12/25/2021 at 10:15 PM, Joe Bloggs said:

They tell me Justin has applied to NZTR for a commentators position Tim, by gee you're in trouble now.

On 12/25/2021 at 10:15 PM, Joe Bloggs said:

They tell me Justin has applied to NZTR for a commentators position Tim, by gee you're in trouble now.

Joe don't give me nightmares! Will switch from Rugby and Racing to just beer!!! Merry Xmas!

• Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 1:10 PM, Joe Bloggs said:

We have a young lady calling the dogs in MEL at the moment, she is dreadful, I'm not sexist or a misogynist just discerning. They do some crazy shit in VIC, gender equality must be the reasoning for this, we all know the Dishlicker people are a chromosome short however they'd be better off exhuming Bill Collins to call Healesville than allow this to continue.

Surely there not as bad as Peter Early therrrrre?    There is only one way to listen to horrid greyhounds.  With the mute button on. 

• 3 weeks later...

George Simon has challenged Tony for the 'faux Pas de rigueur'  awards, and Tony was a shoe in. George produced the classic blame shift at Tauranga the other day......bad angle .......when calling the wrong horse the winner.

And to think you have great talent doing something else, if they want to grow racing the race callers would be a great place to start, a new broom, they lost Jason Teaz and Tom Wood, for Gods sake get them back, put George and Tony on a cruise ship and let them sail off supping tequila's and  reminiscing about the good old days, and they were.

• Champ Post 1

51 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

And to think you have great talent doing something else, if they want to grow racing the race callers would be a great place to start, a new broom, they lost Jason Teaz and Tom Wood, for Gods sake get them back, put George and Tony on a cruise ship and let them sail off supping tequila's and  reminiscing about the good old days, and they were.

Hard to lift your energy when you have to commentate endless poor quality races.  Damn sight easier if you are in Sydney, Melbourne or even Brisbane.

• Like 1

I watched and listened to some of the races from Blenheim yesterday. That commentator is very accurate, very good at telling everyone where each horse is and what its doing. He also tends to tell you exactly what is happening. The horse he calls in front is actually in front rather than two lengths off the leader, but George is anticipating it being in front soon.

• Like 2

When i used to drive a truck to the races and home again i would often miss see some of the early or late races , sometimes both , and would always listen on radio , but i would always record the races to watch later , i began to notice that often what i had heard was not always what i seen when watching later , very rarely was the commentator telling me the horse was caught wide or starting to improve , or travelling , or not . The number of times a horse i backed was which called 5/6th in running , and i'm thinking great , but not that it was 3 wide , very frustrating when i couldn't work out why it hadn't kicked on .

I reckon because they think most people are watching and they can see what is happening themselves and hence they have got a bit lazy , this not only occurs in NZ , have noticed the same in Aus .

Back in the day when people relied on radio the commentators had to be much more accurate . They respected they were the radio listeners eyes .

7 minutes ago, nomates said:

Back in the day when people relied on radio the commentators had to be much more accurate . They respected they were the radio listeners eyes .

Some could do it with colour as well.  How they could be accurate and paint a picture I could never fathom.

Jack O'Donnell was a classic especially with Harness - "they're a grand sight in sunshine as they race down the back straight.....as they straighten up for the run home Jack Smolenski gives the dust sheet a tap or two and his charge is out by a length or two...."

Keith Haub the same when he wasn't distracted by his horse or his bet!

• Like 1