Bit Of A Yarn

Haven't we been here before???

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Do you really expect Ellis to comment about other trainers issues?  Then he'd get hammered for not minding his own business.

Maybe affected trainers should all put their self-interest to one side for a moment and collectively work together to get some change.

No of course I don't.

I however expect him to comment in generalised fashion if it meant that much to him from an industry perspective, it clearly does not until it potentially impacts on his Karaka Million night.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Huey said:

No of course I don't.

I however expect him to comment in generalised fashion if it meant that much to him from an industry perspective, it clearly does not until it potentially impacts on his Karaka Million night.

Self-interest drives the industry.  Why would you expect him to "generalise"?  I note that no other trainer has joined in and formed a chorus.

I note @Pitman in his self-interested bitch about Trentham compensation didn't generalise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Self-interest drives the industry.  Why would you expect him to "generalise"?  I note that no other trainer has joined in and formed a chorus.

I note @Pitman in his self-interested bitch about Trentham compensation didn't generalise.

Pitman and I have had some heated stoushes in many issues, however I agree with him wholeheartedly re Trentham, it's not easy getting to Trentham from Mexico City, and his owners paid dearly for sheer incompetence ..........so too did MP, at least he said something, and loudly, the noise from north of the border was barely audible.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, nomates said:

Totally , but unfortunately in the long run it divides it .

I agree and stakeholders need to start showing some initiative and taking back some of the control they have lost.  I do get annoyed with those that get insular and are quick to cut the tall poppy instead of getting on the phone and communicating.  

20 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Pitman and I have had some heated stoushes in many issues, however I agree with him wholeheartedly re Trentham, it's not easy getting to Trentham from Mexico City, and his owners paid dearly for sheer incompetence ..........so too did MP, at least he said something, and loudly, the noise from north of the border was barely audible.

It's just as hard to get there from Matamata. 

Just now, Chief Stipe said:

I agree and stakeholders need to start showing some initiative and taking back some of the control they have lost.  I do get annoyed with those that get insular and are quick to cut the tall poppy instead of getting on the phone and communicating.  

Toooooo late , the ones that cared enough got sick of being shut out and poo poo'd , moved on to other things . Most are into or getting towards retirement , myself included , consensus on the whole is that we were lucky to see the best of NZ racing and time to do other things . 

• Like 2

Back to this Thread Topic though.  Ellis has a very valid point.  In the decision even the Senior Stipendiary Steward Mr Williamson eludes to the ambiguity of the penalties.  Hence they don't follow them exactly and make it up.  In a court you would have solid grounds for appeal.

Here are the rules and penalties that were published in September 2021.  Most of you will know this but it isn't the RIB that writes the rule nor the penalty guidelines that is done by NZTR.  The RIB just adjudicate on those rules.

image.png

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Maybe affected trainers should all put their self-interest to one side for a moment and collectively work together to get some change.

Haven't been able to for decades. You have to realise they are in competition with each other for sales and business. Asking them to work together is like asking Noel Leeming and Harvey Norman to work together, or McDonalds and Burger King. Maybe on some things ...

• Champ Post 1

8 minutes ago, curious said:

Haven't been able to for decades. You have to realise they are in competition with each other for sales and business. Asking them to work together is like asking Noel Leeming and Harvey Norman to work together, or McDonalds and Burger King. Maybe on some things ...

Your analogy isn't a good one.  If for example the Government proposed tariffs on imported whitewear then Noel Leeming and Harvey Norman would work together.

Guest CrossCodes
59 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

This obsession you have with Pitman is really starting to look quite sad.

You can’t seem to go a few days without bringing him up in some form or another.

Seems you have also decided to stick your proverbial tongue up Ellis’s ass, just like Scooby on the other channel has for years, are you looking to jump on the gravy train as well? You seem to one of the stables biggest champions now.

10 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Your analogy isn't a good one.  If for example the Government proposed tariffs on imported whitewear then Noel Leeming and Harvey Norman would work together.

Haven't seen trainers working together to prevent tarriffs on imported racing or exported betting for that matter.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CrossCodes said:

Seems you have also decided to stick your proverbial tongue up Ellis’s ass, just like Scooby on the other channel has for years, are you looking to jump on the gravy train as well? You seem to one of the stables biggest champions now.

There's the nub or rub.  The majority of posters are quick to put the boot and in some instances the knife into Te Akau.  Yet look the other way for a more favoured trainer.  All fair to have an opinion and as you know everyone can post on BOAY without fear or favour.

If you bother to read what I've posted and put your bias to one side you'd find it is balanced.

As for the Comic Dog you don't see me posting the gratuitous, obsequious syrup laden posts congratulating very Group One win.

24 minutes ago, CrossCodes said:

You can’t seem to go a few days without bringing him up in some form or another.

I didn't start the Topic about Pitman and his principles.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Further to the Bosson decision, going by the comments of the Senior Stipe I wouldn't be surprised if there are amendments made to the rules and penalty guidelines to remove the ambiguity.

Remove the "ambiguity" .... yeah right!

The rules will be altered for only one reason we should all know that. 

Racing: Whip rules to be reviewed after heated week

3 minutes to read
Opie Bosson recently copped a six-meeting suspension for whip use. Photo / Photosport

Opie Bosson recently copped a six-meeting suspension for whip use. Photo / Photosport

Thoroughbred racing's controversial whip penalties are to be reviewed, with changes likely after a heated week.

New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing brought in new sentencing guidelines for whip use in September, and it has been the Racing Integrity Board's job to enforce them, but few could have foreseen the furore they have caused.

The main concerns for jockeys, and also trainers trying to book the best jockeys for their horses, have been suspensions for repetitive infringement, even when those infringements don't warrant suspension.

With New Zealand's senior riding ranks containing few big turnover-attracting jockeys, suspensions have also perplexed club officials who want the elite jockeys riding on Group 1 days.

The sentencing guidelines failed their most high-profile test at Ellerslie on January 9, when Opie Bosson was suspended for six meetings for his ride on The Perfect Pink because he used the whip on her in consecutive strides, even though he used it only four times in the race.

The decision of the adjudicating panel in suspending Bosson was based on three prior whip sentences inside a six-month period, so was heavily influenced by NZTR's sentencing guidelines, even though Bosson's ride clearly did not warrant a six-meeting suspension, especially when that meant missing a Group 1 day.

NZTR chief executive Bernard Saundry admitted to the Herald the guidelines need reviewing and that his organisation has received a lot of negative feedback, considerably more since the Bosson suspension.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Racing: Whip rules to be reviewed after heated week

17 Jan, 2022 12:00 AM3 minutes to read

Thoroughbred racing's controversial whip penalties are to be reviewed, with changes likely after a heated week.

New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing brought in new sentencing guidelines for whip use in September, and it has been the Racing Integrity Board's job to enforce them, but few could have foreseen the furore they have caused.

The main concerns for jockeys, and also trainers trying to book the best jockeys for their horses, have been suspensions for repetitive infringement, even when those infringements don't warrant suspension.

With New Zealand's senior riding ranks containing few big turnover-attracting jockeys, suspensions have also perplexed club officials who want the elite jockeys riding on Group 1 days.

The sentencing guidelines failed their most high-profile test at Ellerslie on January 9, when Opie Bosson was suspended for six meetings for his ride on The Perfect Pink because he used the whip on her in consecutive strides, even though he used it only four times in the race.

The decision of the adjudicating panel in suspending Bosson was based on three prior whip sentences inside a six-month period, so was heavily influenced by NZTR's sentencing guidelines, even though Bosson's ride clearly did not warrant a six-meeting suspension, especially when that meant missing a Group 1 day.

NZTR chief executive Bernard Saundry admitted to the Herald the guidelines need reviewing and that his organisation has received a lot of negative feedback, considerably more since the Bosson suspension.

Retro active as ever .