Bit Of A Yarn

Levante - World Record for 1200m in the 2022 Telegraph

3 minutes ago, nomates said:

Great race , rapt for Levante to finally get a big one , has been undone by some poor rides and nearly again by Elliot going far too early , showed great heart to fight back , really put her neck out .

Not sure I agree with the "far too early" comment.  Made it impossible for anything to come from behind her.  As for his other rides on Levante she didn't help herself much by getting back too far early.  A classic example of that is Entriviere today.  Have no idea why they decided to ride who back today.  Levante is starting better this season.

17 minutes ago, nomates said:

Great race , rapt for Levante to finally get a big one , has been undone by some poor rides and nearly again by Elliot going far too early , showed great heart to fight back , really put her neck out .

yep, she sure deserves a goodie.

• Like 1

Isn't it disappointing to read that the 1200m races at Trentham were hand timed today? You'd think that they would be able to manage to have electronic timing working for a G1 sprint. Clearly not!

From the stipe's report:

GENERAL
Times recorded for 1200 metre races down the shute today were hand timed.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Chimbu said:

Isn't it disappointing to read that the 1200m races at Trentham were hand timed today? You'd think that they would be able to manage to have electronic timing working for a G1 sprint. Clearly not!

From the stipe's report:

GENERAL
Times recorded for 1200 metre races down the shute today were hand timed.

So not a World Record.  Unbelievable.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Elliot suspended 8 days and fined $4k.

Yet another big race won by foul means , just a matter of time until someone challenges these decisions .

If Levante had interfered with the 2nd horse and only won by a nose would she have held onto the race ?

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

5 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

If the race was hand timed how did they get all these sectionals?  They must do it off the video.

Interesting sectionals, all but two broke 33 sec's for last 600 and second horse broke 32. Those times highlight how important barrier draws and an economical run in transit is... even down the Trentham chute.

5 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Elliot suspended 8 days and fined $4k.

So if you factor in the suspension they've effectively relieved Elliot of his winning riding fee. The jockey's must band together and take action over these farcical whip rules, as it stands the only foolproof way of avoiding the Petone revenue collectors is to throw their (soft) whips away all together.

4 hours ago, nomates said:

Yet another big race won by foul means , just a matter of time until someone challenges these decisions.

Petone would be sued to the heavens if a relegation occurred over a couple of extra taps with a feather duster, not going to happen.

Edited by billy connolly
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, billy connolly said:

Petone would be sued to the heavens if a relegation occurred over a couple of extra taps with a feather duster, not going to happen.

What i am saying is , and you didn't answer that question , if interference had occurred inside the last 150mtrs would she have lost the race , if yes because the rules of racing had been broken then as i posed , if the rider has broken the rules to win , even if he was carrying a feather duster , then why can one broken rule cause a change and not another .

And someone somewhere will eventually take action over this , one of the mares value rocketed after yesterdays race and the other mares value increased reasonably , now if you owned the 2nd horse and that outcome of the race came because of a broken rule of racing , would you honestly not feel aggrieved , you could be out of pocket hundreds of thousands of dollars , just on the sale of the mare , and possibly a lot more from potential sale of progeny .

Now i am just posing a question , i can see both sides , but the rules are there for a reason , FAIRNESS .

And someone can sue Petone if their horse lost a race because of the jockey indiscretion , but they haven't got a leg to stand on , the jockey broke the rules . Now if they wanted to sue someone , sue the jockey , he's the one that cost you the race .

Everyone goes into a race knowing the rules .

As i said just posing the question , myself i can see it happening eventually .

p.s. perhaps the rule breaker needs to get a fine and suspension that makes them think a lot more than twice about breaking that particular rule i.e. 6 months and 50k .

2 hours ago, billy connolly said:

If you think it's a feather duster,  have a walk round the tie ups on raceday and look at the welts they leave or get someone to give you a couple with one and see if it hurts. If they can't enforce their use or make appropriate rules and penalties, then they have to take them away altogether. If they don't, someone will take the whole game away.

That you can break the whip rules and still win a race, or run second or third or earn any stake money is a crock of shit. Just encourages others to do it to compete.

Edited by curious
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Seems a contradiction doesn't it that the more you supposedly hurt a horse the faster it runs.

Perhaps if Elliot hadn't "gone too early" he wouldn't have had to use the whip so many times?

See any logic between Elliots penalty and Bossons?

The interesting point for me was that he struck her 7 times before the 100 , yet it was inside the 100 that the 2nd horse really looked to more likely win the race and Levante fought back to win it , with Elliot riding within the rules .

I think he hit that often before the 100 because he knew he had gone tooooo early and knew it and shit himself .

Elliot doesn't ride big races well , more often than not makes poor decisions , IMO cost poor old mumsie plenty with her good horse .