Bit Of A Yarn

MAAT stakes

It was brought to my attention that the stakes for the above-mentioned races [ four ] to be held on the synthetic, were to be $40,000.

The first Cambridge ones were run on 28th July, 2021, and the inference was that that would apply for the opening of each synthetic track, and for the years subsequent.

The stakes for the Riccarton version have apparently been posted at only $17,000.

It wasn't something that I had been particularly aware of, but I have been asked to see if  anyone has any information - or opinions -  on this?

Must be a mistake.

Increases for the period of 3 April until 26 August 2022:

Feature Days

• Open - $32,500 to $35,000
  • R74   - $27,500 to $30,000
  • 3&4YO - $25,000 to $30,000
  • R65, MAAT, 2YO    - $22,500 to $30,000
  • Maiden - $10,000 to $15,000

https://loveracing.nz/News/36862/NZTRBoardsgrowthplanlauncheswithstakesincreasesandinfrastructureboost.aspx

Edited by curious

Just another kick in the guts, or another mistake, lets see. In the meantime Howie Mathews is returning to public training as he's so chuffed re the stakes increases? Hello, Howie, how many races have been canned to accommodate the new increases? I'm dumbfounded, or maybe just plain dumb, what am I missing here?

Will Freda get an answer to her alarm or will NZTR roll out the spin, it's going to split this industry eventually, the gifted salary people wont care, that haven't cared since Moses played fullback for Papanui/Merivale......FFS.

• Like 1

Thank you Freda, for bringing this to our attention, After a little research I see that last year (28thJuly)Cambridge ran a 4 race MAAT series with 4x$40,000 races.... The indication was that these races would be run after the opening of each synthetic track...a similar 4 race MAAT meeting is programmed for Riccarton(15thJuly) . In contrast to this year's second annual running of the MAAT races at Cambridge (27th July),where the stake is $40000 per race for the second year, it would appear as though the S.I. series has been relegated to its usual, second class citizen status, with stakes of less than 50%($17,000) of our northern counterparts.

46 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Just another kick in the guts, or another mistake, lets see. In the meantime Howie Mathews is returning to public training as he's so chuffed re the stakes increases? Hello, Howie, how many races have been canned to accommodate the new increases? I'm dumbfounded, or maybe just plain dumb, what am I missing here?

Will Freda get an answer to her alarm or will NZTR roll out the spin, it's going to split this industry eventually, the gifted salary people wont care, that haven't cared since Moses played fullback for Papanui/Merivale......FFS.

Yes I read that about Howie the mind boggles 😂 

• Like 1

Perhaps they can use some of the money from tomorrows abandoned Trentham meeting to top up these MAAT races .

In fact a better idea is to abandon racing in the CD for the next 3 months and give each horse in work a payout from the stakes saved , at least the owners won't be continually shafted by the amateur pricks that are running NZ racing .

This is the chickens coming home to roost on the decision to mothball certain tracks that could now be available for racing .

The only thing these pricks can predict happening is their next pay day .

p.s. There is supposed to be another meeting at Trentham next week , you know the odds now beat them . 

• Champ Post 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Executioner said:

Thank you Freda, for bringing this to our attention, After a little research I see that last year (28thJuly)Cambridge ran a 4 race MAAT series with 4x$40,000 races.... The indication was that these races would be run after the opening of each synthetic track...a similar 4 race MAAT meeting is programmed for Riccarton(15thJuly) . In contrast to this year's second annual running of the MAAT races at Cambridge (27th July),where the stake is $40000 per race for the second year, it would appear as though the S.I. series has been relegated to its usual, second class citizen status, with stakes of less than 50%($17,000) of our northern counterparts.

Thanks for confirming,  E.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nomates said:

Perhaps they can use some of the money from tomorrows abandoned Trentham meeting to top up these MAAT races .

In fact a better idea is to abandon racing in the CD for the next 3 months and give each horse in work a payout from the stakes saved , at least the owners won't be continually shafted by the amateur pricks that are running NZ racing .

This is the chickens coming home to roost on the decision to mothball certain tracks that could now be available for racing .

The only thing these pricks can predict happening is their next pay day .

p.s. There is supposed to be another meeting at Trentham next week , you know the odds now beat them . 

Agree its nothing more than a sad joke & no one will admit they were wrong or try to rectify their incompetent decision making.

Venue Plan absolute disaster and will cause more and more damage to an already shrinking industry,  but BS was a great guy cause he  always picked up the phone .

• Like 3

7 hours ago, curious said:

Must be a mistake.

Increases for the period of 3 April until 26 August 2022:

Feature Days

• Open - $32,500 to $35,000
  • R74   - $27,500 to $30,000
  • 3&4YO - $25,000 to $30,000
  • R65, MAAT, 2YO    - $22,500 to $30,000
  • Maiden - $10,000 to $15,000

https://loveracing.nz/News/36862/NZTRBoardsgrowthplanlauncheswithstakesincreasesandinfrastructureboost.aspx

Not sure where you got those figures from. Open races dropped from $40,000 to $35,000 for the winter months. Most the other grades have been at $30,000 for most of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

It is certainly very unusual and appears to be very unfair on the SI. I can only assume that the rationale is that in the NI it is only second tier horses that race on the AWT and this is a special occasion for the battlers. Whereas in the SI there are virtually no opportunities away from the AWT so horses are forced to race on it anyhow and therefore there is no point providing any additional incentives.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Doomed said:

It is certainly very unusual and appears to be very unfair on the SI. I can only assume that the rationale is that in the NI it is only second tier horses that race on the AWT and this is a special occasion for the battlers. Whereas in the SI there are virtually no opportunities away from the AWT so horses are forced to race on it anyhow and therefore there is no point providing any additional incentives.

Unfortunately the entire SI is being treated like an Industry Day, that is simply what they think of the SI. 

CD will be next, their entire focus is on the nirvana northern racing they think is the future of racing, ironically the Northern horses of any ability seem more likely to go to Aus anyway.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone ever got to the bottom of this but I had another look. Doomed, the post above came from the NZTR stakes announcement for this period (Jan 25). https://loveracing.nz/News/35631/NZTRannouncesfurtherstakesincreases.aspx

My mistake was I assumed this was a feature day when in fact it is designated as an industry day. So, you can't compare that with a feature day at Cambridge.

Industry day MAATS stakes were set at $10-12k so they have been supplemented to provide the 17k today.

Kind of an inbetweener.

27 minutes ago, curious said:

Not sure if anyone ever got to the bottom of this but I had another look. Doomed, the post above came from the NZTR stakes announcement for this period (Jan 25). https://loveracing.nz/News/35631/NZTRannouncesfurtherstakesincreases.aspx

My mistake was I assumed this was a feature day when in fact it is designated as an industry day. So, you can't compare that with a feature day at Cambridge.

Industry day MAATS stakes were set at $10-12k so they have been supplemented to provide the 17k today.

Kind of an inbetweener.

With the stakes levels at  15 - 30 k  it doesn't have an   'industry day'  look about it.

Today's Riccarton meetings and Cambridge's finals day(27th July)receive $60,000 for stakes, primarily, I believe, from the track builders, Martin Collins Ltd, in the form of a sponsorship. This can be used to boost stakes for this day, as the club's see fit.... Cambridge are running 4 MAAT maiden races for a stake of $40,000 each and the remaining races at minimum stakes....NB... The higher rated races at Cambridge are run for only$12,000.... Riccarton have chosen to spread the $60,000 across all races at today's meeting.... Both senario's have merit, I guess  it is just whether you own a maiden in Cambridge or a more tightly assessed horse at Riccarton.!!!!... There is no interest like self interest...!!!!! 

• Like 3