Bit Of A Yarn

HOPELESS AMATEUR DRIVERS EVENTS AT NZ METRO. WTF??

Davis

13 hours ago, boobybec said:

Why do they allow people to bet on amateur drivers

Back in the day they had non-tote races Rebecca. Usually junior drivers, ladies races and 2-year-old at Addington regularly. Amateur races are tote races so you can be on them but I don't. The Wigg sisters are ok drivers, the rest mediocre.

16 hours ago, Brodie said:

I am the same as Galah nowadays with fixed odds, one or two bets seems to be the go.

I will only have a go now if the odds are reasonable even though I will like several at a meeting!

If they are paying under $2 for a place I wont waste my time.

Rougher the race the better is the way to make money and if you do your homework you should consistently head them off!!

The biggest problem is that generally the Bookies/Accountants open the odds too low and dont lengthen them out early enough.

I can see a few that could be worth a crack on Sunday providing the track isnt wet, as that throws form out the window!

Good luck mate, you can have my share. I love Addington but I won't be having a bet as a personal protest. It is ridiculous to have three amateur drivers' races on one card. Give me a break!

19 hours ago, the galah said:

The non win trots i think are probably the races i have the most success on. I didn't used to like them,but nowdays find them the easiest races to select. I guess the reason for that is there is a greater gap in current performance from each of those in the fields.

Good you mate, it great that you can do that. But that maiden mobile trot at Addington Sunday is poor, there's some slow ones in there mate. I've seen that Matthew Eyre go a few times, not many slower than that. 

It wouldn't surprise me if there were a couple of false starts...

Good luck finding something in that field 😄

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gammalite said:

or you should be 6 months in a leaky boat lol...

Brodsters fave Split Enz album for a couple of reasons

1. being a salute our culture

2. the song dedicated to him

Waiata - Side 1 Track 2 One Step Ahead.

Titled Corroboree in GammaLand

Waiata.jpg

Corroboree.jpg

• Haha 1

I'm ok with clubs putting an amateur race on but they shouldn't be tote races. People work for their money so the races they can wager on should also only involve professionals. Nobody forces them to wager but these races are often the first leg of a treble.

The other aspect of them I disapprove of is starting a meeting off with a cowboy / cowgirl meeting. Surely you should start off a meeting the way you mean to carry on? I must admit I don't like them starting a meeting with a low grade trot. These races often end up with a lot of breakers. I can think of a better way to welcome patrons on course than having their charge 300 metres behind the leader. . 

• Champ Post 1

9 hours ago, Davis said:

Good luck mate, you can have my share. I love Addington but I won't be having a bet as a personal protest. It is ridiculous to have three amateur drivers' races on one card. Give me a break!

At this stage I probably wont have a go on the amateurs either.

I sort them out and if they are too short I dont bother.

They are harder to get big wins now as the Bookies open too short mostly and dont bother changing unless there is someone having a crack.

Still easy enough to make money but just need to be patient eith what you back.

• Champ Post 1

15 hours ago, Walt said:

I'm ok with clubs putting an amateur race on but they shouldn't be tote races. People work for their money so the races they can wager on should also only involve professionals. Nobody forces them to wager but these races are often the first leg of a treble.

The other aspect of them I disapprove of is starting a meeting off with a cowboy / cowgirl meeting. Surely you should start off a meeting the way you mean to carry on? I must admit I don't like them starting a meeting with a low grade trot. These races often end up with a lot of breakers. I can think of a better way to welcome patrons on course than having their charge 300 metres behind the leader. . 

I agree about the poor first race. Often, I won't bothering watching or betting on a race like that, sometimes there are two or three!, poor races in a row. Then, I don't watch any of them and I get distracted with other things and often don't bet or watch any races that day.

If there is a good first race, open field with a number of chances then I have a bet. There's a good chance of a healthy collect so then I watch most of the races. Win for the TAB and club, surely?

On 22/06/2022 at 10:05 AM, Davis said:

Look, as you all know old Davis is a peaceful man but what TF? Three amateur drivers' heats at NZ Met on Sunday? Give me a break. This makes the meeting a poor proposition for value punters like me and super punter Brodlie. It is really difficult to understand how this meeting was carded. 

We've got five races that are NOT betting propositions: Three amateur drivers' heats. A maiden mobile trot and a fillies and mare mobile trot. Value punters like me won't go near these races. That leaves us with five races to try and find something. Two of the fields are mediocre offering no value so serious punters have three races to try and find something. Hopeless.

I won't have a bet because I cannot be bothered. That meeting is an insult to punters.

And they wonder why turnover dropping

Joke!!

If you watched that first amateur race and the non win trot you would have seen a couple of interesting and very entertaining races..

In the first of the amateurs it looked like sheldon murtha driving the 2nd favorite was not travelling well enough to keep up with the mobile and missed the start by 4 lengths.

He never paniced and in the end settled back and when the pace slackened  at the 800m sent it forward and in the end won nicely. A well judged drive. After the race it  appeared the horse was bleeding  behind the back foot,which looked like it must have had mud fever,so that would be why it looked a bit uneven in the run to the start. So a well judged drive by murtha,and the horse showed some courage to run so well despite the discomfort.

Then in the non win trot you had alan clark set his horse alight from the start,running very fast  sectionals before it inevitably ran out of puff. It was an entertaining race.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the galah said:

If you watched that first amateur race and the non win trot you would have seen a couple of interesting and very entertaining races..

In the first of the amateurs it looked like sheldon murtha driving the 2nd favorite was not travelling well enough to keep up with the mobile and missed the start by 4 lengths.

He never paniced and in the end settled back and when the pace slackened  at the 800m sent it forward and in the end won nicely. A well judged drive. After the race it  appeared the horse was bleeding  behind the back foot,which looked like it must have had mud fever,so that would be why it looked a bit uneven in the run to the start. So a well judged drive by murtha,and the horse showed some courage to run so well despite the discomfort.

Then in the non win trot you had alan clark set his horse alight from the start,running very fast  sectionals before it inevitably ran out of puff. It was an entertaining race.

You don't expect anything else from Mr Clark mate! Hopeless. How he has a license to drive I do not know. The filly is ok and could win three or four with a decent driver. The filly needs someone like Sarah O'Reilly to drive it regularly, then it would win and also be more consistent. Perhaps training could be changed too, bit less work! Just my thoughts, mate!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davis said:

You don't expect anything else from Mr Clark mate! Hopeless. How he has a license to drive I do not know. The filly is ok and could win three or four with a decent driver. The filly needs someone like Sarah O'Reilly to drive it regularly, then it would win and also be more consistent. Perhaps training could be changed too, bit less work! Just my thoughts, mate!

Just how good was The Fiery Ginga?

He was one tough horse, imagine him with Paul Nairn or the Dunns!

Was actually not a bad days racing if you were selective with what races you invested on!

There is always money to be made on the Sunday meetings at Addington.

Not sure why Reformed was so short when it is more a short course horse and not very brave.

Megarock did look the one due to the way it went last start and what it had done at Addington over 2600m earlier in the year in far better fields!

$15 opening was great price so Keep up the good work Bookies!

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

37 minutes ago, Davis said:

But he always makes for an interesting watch.From a betting perspective ,you always know what to expect is a positive i suppose.

29 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Just how good was The Fiery Ginga?

He was one tough horse, imagine him with Paul Nairn or the Dunns!

Was actually not a bad days racing if you were selective with what races you invested on!

There is always money to be made on the Sunday meetings at Addington.

Not sure why Reformed was so short when it is more a short course horse and not very brave.

Megarock did look the one due to the way it went last start and what it had done at Addington over 2600m earlier in the year in far better fields!

$15 opening was great price so Keep up the good work Bookies!

Megarock at $15 does seem great price.Well done if you had some of that. I took reformed.I thought it would have dictated in front,but just a bit slow to begin meant its chances were gone.. Reformed is by changeover,and to me they all seem to lack a mental toughness and they need things to go there way.

The race i found frustrating was the black shadow. I anchored him with 4 in my quinella,but for reasons unknown to myself afterwards,left out hidden desire and only got 1st and 3rd.  quinella paying $228 was frustrating. Not sure why the black shadow paid so much as it made a lot of ground in its previous fresh up run.I had thought hes samtas excuse was a winner. Loomed up to win but the horse seemed to have no interest in giving its best.

All in all an entertaining days racing and well done to blair wilmott for winning the nz amateurs title. 

• Like 1

Totally baffled as to who would have been stupid enough to be backing POCKET CALL?

Totally hopeless for a long time and was not worth racing it, although the trainer/ driver wouldnt exactly rate in my top 10 drivers.

Yes it won at the Rangiora trials but it was full out to beat the other couple and they are both pretty poor horses.

On that trial run unless it improved a ton, then there was very little chance of it being in the money.

Matt Purvis is a very good trainer and always improves horses that are not going very well, but personally can not  see Pocket Call being a profitable venture as it is one paced and is well past its best, by the look of it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Totally baffled as to who would have been stupid enough to be backing POCKET CALL?

Totally hopeless for a long time and was not worth racing it, although the trainer/ driver wouldnt exactly rate in my top 10 drivers.

Yes it won at the Rangiora trials but it was full out to beat the other couple and they are both pretty poor horses.

On that trial run unless it improved a ton, then there was very little chance of it being in the money.

Matt Purvis is a very good trainer and always improves horses that are not going very well, but personally can not  see Pocket Call being a profitable venture as it is one paced and is well past its best, by the look of it.

it will interesting to watch its progress. Like you say,purvis does a good job,but even allowing for that it was surprising it got so much support.

Thats what makes meetings like todays interesting.Horses like that create interest.Its a bit like watching alan clark drive. No one drives like him,so when you see something different, it catches your attention and creates discussion..

• Like 1