Bit Of A Yarn

New Performance Enhancer

hunterthepunter

Doping in professional sport is a cat-and-mouse game. The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) bans a performance-enhancing drug, and athletes go on the hunt to find a new one. So what if there was an undetectable performance-enhancing method?

That’s the promise Halo Neuroscience is making. It has built a device that looks like a set of headphones, which sends electrical current through the scalp to stimulate certain areas of the brain. The claim is that the device helps build new neural connections as the athletes learn a skill.

The company also claims to have run a small randomized-control trial, where four athletes wearing the device received electrical stimulation, while three others didn’t. The experiment reportedly showed improvement in those who wore the device. The athletes’ co-ordination was 80% better than the placebo group and their jumping force was 70% greater, according to an account on the company’s website. (The results were not published in a peer-reviewed journal.) Haloscience

1-ipl64grvthnvvvdypq_jew.jpeg?quality=75Companies will always claim their devices work, but there is some independent evidence in this case. University researchers have long been fascinated by transcranial direct stimulation (tDCS), which is what Halo Neuroscience’s device does. The theory is that, if you choose the right neurons and give them just the right electric jolt, you can boost or suppress what those neurons are usually doing.  In a small trial of 12 untrained athletes, University of Kent researchers found that tDCS to stimulate the motor-cortex region of the brain can reduce the perception of fatigue and thus help athletes cycle for longer. A similar result was found by a group of researchers at the Federal University of Rio Grande do Norte when they used tDCS to stimulate the temporal cortex region of the brain. 

But researchers are concerned that tDCS is not yet ready for commercial use. There is evidence that misfiring of such devices or even placing the electrodes at the wrong place on the brain can have unintended consequences. Researchers in a lab tend to be careful with their use of tDCS, but that precision is not guaranteed elsewhere. So if athletes wear the device as they practice their skills, as Halo Neuroscience proposes, a movement of only a few centimeters could change what area of the athlete’s brain is receiving the stimulation.

There are also no long-term studies looking at the effect  of tDCS. It could be that stimulating one region causes the brain to compensate in other regions. But, when such devices can be built at home for as little as $20, and no one knows how to detect their use, there’s no stopping athletes or other enthusiasts from experimenting

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harewood said:

So you were told to leave Happy. I dont think so. Just like me you love harness racing so dont lower yourself into this stupid them V us nonsense.

Yes, quite true Harewood. Good advice and I have tried to stay out of it but I won't tolerate the dissemination of one-sided information. 

For the record, I wasn't told to leave but suspended, moderated and threatened by email so I left. 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

5 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Yes, quite true Harewood

I have deceided to post on both sites as i love harness racing and the discussions that go with it. I will comment when something takes my fancy or i think someone is shall we say misrepresnting the truth. This happens on both sites but I will not run one site down just to gain points as several posters do. 

• Like 4

Good approach Harewood, but don't forget, you only have this second site where opinions can be expressed freely and openly, without fear of retaliation or abuse, thanks to one person, who has copped it publicly and privately. almost everyday for the last 15 months, so I hope you understand, that some have a lot more of a parochial opinion than what you have expressed 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, hesi said:

so I hope you understand, that some have a lot more of a parochial opinion than what you have expressed 

I understand that however some  have bought this on themselves somewhat with their one eyed dogmatic I am always right opinnions. A little bit of flexibility goes along way in life.

4 minutes ago, Harewood said:

I understand that however some  have bought this on themselves somewhat with their one eyed dogmatic I am always right opinnions. A little bit of flexibility goes along way in life.

We try to keep them locked in the broom cupboard underneath the stairs:).............but they keep breaking out

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Harewood said:

If this was aimed at Brodie, then I will take that as a major compliment!

Of course I am one eyed, opinionated etc. but always on the money.

The thing is That yes you are correct in that some have brought it on themselves!

Exactly why so many have left the sinking ship due to a few over there that set out to just antagonise and disrupt, and that was tolerated by the Administrator.

What several on here have  had to endure should not have been allowed to happen, Harewood, and I am sure Chief will not allow it to happen on this Premier site

Edited by Brodie
  • Champ Post 3

14 minutes ago, Brodie said:

If this was aimed at Brodie, then I will take that as a major compliment!

Of course I am one eyed, opinionated etc. but always on the money.

The thing is That yes you are correct in that some have brought it on themselves!

Exactly why so many have left the sinking ship due to a few over there that set out to just antagonise and disrupt, and that was tolerated by the Administrator.

What several on here have  had to endure should not have been allowed to happen, Harewood, and I am sure Chief will not allow it to happen on this Premier site

I doubt we've been able to keep you in that broom cupboard for more than 5 minutes

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

It is a shame this flexibility was not shown on Racecafe.

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Good advice and I have tried to stay out of it

9 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Exactly why so many have left the sinking ship due to a few over there that set out to just antagonise and disrupt, a

You are throwing stones at abrick wall!  There are two sites with a number of persons contributing on both sites and a greater number only on their preferred site.  By holding a grudge you remind me of a road rage driver who in the end only gets himself worked up and forgets the greater cause ie driving the RC/BOAY forward and safely.  Lets just enjoy discussions on what we love

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Harewood said:

You are throwing stones at abrick wall!  There are two sites with a number of persons contributing on both sites and a greater number only on their preferred site.  By holding a grudge you remind me of a road rage driver who in the end only gets himself worked up and forgets the greater cause ie driving the RC/BOAY forward and safely.  Lets just enjoy discussions on what we love

Agree that we should be enjoying the opportunity to discuss things re harness racing on either site.

The reality is that there was a pathetic element on RC that was out to just cause trouble with some of the main contributors over there.

Not going to name names, Fart Too Much, Kotare Hunter and a couple of others.

The clowns have now decided to try and rock the boat on the Premier site here.

If they pulled their heads in and acted half sensibly there wouldn’t be a problem.

• Champ Post 2

8 hours ago, Brodie said:

Agree that we should be enjoying the opportunity to discuss things re harness racing on either site.

The reality is that there was a pathetic element on RC that was out to just cause trouble with some of the main contributors over there.

Not going to name names, Fart Too Much, Kotare Hunter and a couple of others.

The clowns have now decided to try and rock the boat on the Premier site here.

If they pulled their heads in and acted half sensibly there wouldn’t be a problem.

To be fair I think ftm is making an effort and hopefully chief can take his picture down. Probably time we just get on with enjoying boay, we have a good crew on here.... except for a few radicals from R.C that continue to carry out a jihad on boay?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

To be fair I think ftm is making an effort and hopefully chief can take his picture down. Probably time we just get on with enjoying boay, we have a good crew on here.... except for a few radicals from R.C that continue to carry out a jihad on boay?

FTM's pic taken down and apology issued Des(see Vent/RC Hypocrisy), as it was a clear breach of privacy that was not picked up by the Chief, in fact it took 3 of us about 15 minutes to trackdown the photo.

Hopefully we will see respect for people's privacy on RC(former members now on BOAY that is), but I doubt it very much, from what we have seen in the past few weeks.  Personal details altered, personal details released online, personal emails used for nefarious purposes and there are others which will be left to lie for the moment

Edited by hesi
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

5 minutes ago, hesi said:

FTM's pic taken down and apology issued Des(see Vent/RC Hypocrisy), as it was a clear breach of privacy that was not picked up by the Chief, in fact it took 3 of us about 15 minutes to trackdown the photo.

Hopefully we will see respect for people's privacy on RC(former members now on BOAY that is), but I doubt it very much, from what we have seen in the past few weeks.  Personal details altered, personal details released online, personal emails used for nefarious purposes and there are others which will be left to lie for the moment

Cheers hesi I didn't look........ hopefully those that had their personal details altered on R.C will receive the same consideration from the Ayatollah and we can all get on and enjoy our respective sites.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

5 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Cheers hesi I didn't look........ hopefully those that had their personal details altered on R.C will receive the same consideration from the Ayatollah and we can all get on and enjoy our respective sites.

You mean an apology, don't hold your breath mate

• Haha 1