Bit Of A Yarn

von art/robyns playboy

You would have to wonder whether the above ross and chris wilson trained horses got mixed up when they went to australia.

Robyns playboy,a good horse here,can't keep warm and doesn't appear to want to race from the morris stable,whereas von art,a noted one pacer who did a handy job in the 45 and below rating races here,has grown 2 extra legs and  won its last 6 in a row for emma stewart ,beating easily the likes of off n gone along the way. Tonight it ran a 1.55.3 mile rate for 2230m. 

Edited by the galah

3 hours ago, the galah said:

von art,a noted one pacer who did a handy job in the 45 and below rating races here,has grown 2 extra legs and  won its last 6 in a row for emma stewart

A very nice run tonight but a few of the 6 wins were just loose class mares races with only about 6 starters.

Much better tonight for NZ, were Nathan Purdon winning the Redcliffe Oaks with Nz owned 'Amore Vita' and 'The Honey Queen' won easily for Nz owners John and Trish Green with Luke McCarthy training her now.

'Mach Shard 'and 'Turn It Up' (a coupe of big winning kiwis) were 4th and 5th from handicaps in the Redcliffe Cup. I thought they would run the quinella easily..... But Amazingly the HANDICAP system still works >> and they unfortunately were beaten a length from the standing start, by the runners that were in the first 3 positions along the fence , during the run. 

Old kiwi horse DEUS EX  hated the standing start  and took off in the other direction at the start . Just craziness with a mobile parked just metres away.......

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gammalite said:

A very nice run tonight but a few of the 6 wins were just loose class mares races with only about 6 starters.

Much better tonight for NZ, were Nathan Purdon winning the Redcliffe Oaks with Nz owned 'Amore Vita' and 'The Honey Queen' won easily for Nz owners John and Trish Green with Luke McCarthy training her now.

'Mach Shard 'and 'Turn It Up' (a coupe of big winning kiwis) were 4th and 5th from handicaps in the Redcliffe Cup. I thought they would run the quinella easily..... But Amazingly the HANDICAP system still works >> and they unfortunately were beaten a length from the standing start, by the runners that were in the first 3 positions along the fence , during the run. 

Old kiwi horse DEUS EX  hated the standing start  and took off in the other direction at the start . Just craziness with a mobile parked just metres away.......

Captain Crusader certainty to run in the money from his draw in Redcliffe Cup. I got plenty thank you very much. Hope you got some mate?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gammalite said:

The horses that ran 2nd and 3rd last night to Von Art had both won over $200,000 ,one with 9 wins from 45 starts and the other has has 12 wins. It did beat off n gone the week before. 

Deus ex was risky over here in stands and didn't seem to like to stand long. Didn't see the race in question last night but they do stand there a long time in some states of australia.Probably predictable he wouldn't go away if he had horses on marks close up behind him.

Amore vita drawing 1 and the honey queen drawing 2 meant their races were just a procession. Obviously good horses,but from a competition point of view their races weren't exciting.Its such an advantage to get on the rail at that track.I suppose if you like seeing good horses run you would have been happy,but who would bet on those races when they have red hot favorites paying $1 to win like amore vita did?  Give me a competitive non win race at methven any day.But thats just me.

I did watch a derby i think it was,where the hot favorite drew 6. Chris barsby said pre race that it was the first time the son of somebeachsomewhere(i think) had run beyond 1700m.And sure enough he was right as racing parked was too much for him,and he faded out.

Sounds like the redcliffe cup was a good watch. Those handicap races make it more exciting to watch.

Love your enthusiasm for the queensland racing.

Chris barsby the best commentator in the world i think.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davis said:

Captain Crusader certainty to run in the money from his draw in Redcliffe Cup. I got plenty thank you very much. Hope you got some mate?

Great work by you there mate. You always said take the Captain for a place through the whole carnival and at $6 or $7 for the place last night you were on the money !! alas Gammalite thought Mach Shard was a certainty and got sweet nothing .

MShard did ok coming around the field , parked out last lap, loomed up to leader turning in , faded late. Turn It Up got held up until late. A Young girl driver from Victoria won it on a heavily backed runner. 

• Champ Post 1

49 minutes ago, the galah said:

The horses that ran 2nd and 3rd last night to Von Art had both won over $200,000 ,one with 9 wins from 45 starts and the other has has 12 wins. It did beat off n gone the week before. 

Deus ex was risky over here in stands and didn't seem to like to stand long. Didn't see the race in question last night but they do stand there a long time in some states of australia.Probably predictable he wouldn't go away if he had horses on marks close up behind him.

Amore vita drawing 1 and the honey queen drawing 2 meant their races were just a procession. Obviously good horses,but from a competition point of view their races weren't exciting.Its such an advantage to get on the rail at that track.I suppose if you like seeing good horses run you would have been happy,but who would bet on those races when they have red hot favorites paying $1 to win like amore vita did?  Give me a competitive non win race at methven any day.But thats just me.

I did watch a derby i think it was,where the hot favorite drew 6. Chris barsby said pre race that it was the first time the son of somebeachsomewhere(i think) had run beyond 1700m.And sure enough he was right as racing parked was too much for him,and he faded out.

Sounds like the redcliffe cup was a good watch. Those handicap races make it more exciting to watch.

Love your enthusiasm for the queensland racing.

Chris barsby the best commentator in the world i think.

good to see Steve Dolan with champion filly .top trainer horses always look good . good on you Steve

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

5 hours ago, hunterthepunter said:

good to see Steve Dolan with champion filly .top trainer horses always look good . good on you Steve

AMORE VITA is a stunning performer already. Steve and Nathan P must be stoked. Queensland Oaks will be a mere formality. winning 9 of last 10 starts now, and 3rd in the NSW Oaks in the other when driven aggressively.

The Queensland Derby won't be hers though , as Grant Dixon has told me he has the next 'Champion of Australia' and will be sweeping all before him soon with LEAP OF FAME. 11 wins from 14 so far including a 4 length win in the NSW Derby at his last start. Can't wait to see him go shortly......

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Great work by you there mate. You always said take the Captain for a place through the whole carnival and at $6 or $7 for the place last night you were on the money !! alas Gammalite thought Mach Shard was a certainty and got sweet nothing .

MShard did ok coming around the field , parked out last lap, loomed up to leader turning in , faded late. Turn It Up got held up until late. A Young girl driver from Victoria won it on a heavily backed runner. 

Thanks mate. I have been patient holding a bit back waiting for Captain Crusader to draw well and it's been a long wait. But finally. Boom. I got plenty mate. He payed FFPlace $4.20 and tote was around $4.40. I backed both so decent collect. If Captain Crusader draws well next start I will put the lot on him again. if he draws badly maybe half on him. All I can say is mate he's a horse that slips under the radar. I think it's because he's Aussie bred, Kiwis ignore him nd Aussie looking for NZ bred. 

I am also reluctant to back him confidently if Rickie Alchin is driving. Mr Alchin can train them of that there is no doubt. But I don't think he is the best driver in the world, pretty mediocre I think. But I thought even he could not stuff up the drive form that draw and he didn't So well done Mr Alchin. Despite that good drive I would prefer to see someone else drive.

What about the effort of Alchin's two year old colt, Tadelli, wow did you see that thing go!!! Looks like it good be up there with the best of them!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gammalite said:

AMORE VITA is a stunning performer already. Steve and Nathan P must be stoked. Queensland Oaks will be a mere formality. winning 9 of last 10 starts now, and 3rd in the NSW Oaks in the other when driven aggressively.

The Queensland Derby won't be hers though , as Grant Dixon has told me he has the next 'Champion of Australia' and will be sweeping all before him soon with LEAP OF FAME. 11 wins from 14 so far including a 4 length win in the NSW Derby at his last start. Can't wait to see him go shortly......

LEAP OF FAME WILL LEAP TO FAME

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Tuned in to see how robyns playboy went tonight.Another awful performance and dropped out to a walk finishing a long last. This horse has been racing like that for a long time now. The trainer seems very successful with his other horses,but hard to phathom why they keep racing a horse that runs so poorly. Don't think its going well enough to even win a non win race down south. Shame really as it once was a good horse.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, the galah said:

robyns playboy

yes he seems terrible with now 10 out of 10 unplaced runs in Aus.... an abnomily.

On the bright side the young kiwi horseman Jack Trainor won tonight with another Southland horse BRAEVIEW KELLY . to make it 2 easy wins in Aus since coming from Nz where only won 2 in the last year in New Zealand. she is better than that obviously, and can now reap some wins !!! 

• Like 1