Bit Of A Yarn

unsound horses

hunterthepunter

Tracks are manicured too fast for the horses? don't see many of the the regular tough old grass track horses going amiss...The all stars barn seems to have a very high attrition rate these past few seasons only Lazarus has stayed sound. ...but doesn't matter now not ours anymore??

Edited by Flagship uberalles
  • Like 1

I wonder if it's because of the proliferation in 'medications' which mask or give temporary relief to minor unsoundness so horses can still train/race ? It'll catch up with horses eventually and result in more serious injury. If a horse can't 'feel' pain which it would usually do if carrying an injury then it may race well but suffer the consequences later ?

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 2

Anyone considered the genetic factor. ?. Our gene pool is very small with the advent in the 60,s of Artificial Insemination . Have a look at some thoroughbred lines and you will see inherent weaknesses eg wind problems, joints, etc. The harness horse is and has been considered more robust over the years, but is there a genetic factor in all this.?

Im not an expert , but coupled with this and modern training methods which may keep the athlete right on the edge its probably no wonder.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

Anyone considered the genetic factor. ?. Our gene pool is very small with the advent in the 60,s of Artificial Insemination . Have a look at some thoroughbred lines and you will see inherent weaknesses eg wind problems, joints, etc. The harness horse is and has been considered more robust over the years, but is there a genetic factor in all this.?

Im not an expert , but coupled with this and modern training methods which may keep the athlete right on the edge its probably no wonder.

that's true globe some trainers have more horses going unsound than others too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

Maybe horses are having more starts, especially mobile races. Maybe trainers are under pressure more getting horses race fit now? 

No cant agree. Horses (generally speaking) back when I started going and watching were raced quite extensively for quite a long career. In fact i remember horses having 2 starts on the same day quite regularly..I still think the breed has become weak genetically. With the advent of better training methods , equine health , equipment and veterinarian knowledge  one would think today's harness horse would be almost foolproof. Not so. Like the deer with no eyes, I really have no idea.