Bit Of A Yarn

47% of foals don't make it to race's?

Unhinged

4 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Most of them are not fast enough and or don't stand up to a preparation.

If the million or more they are spending on breeding bonuses to help out the studs went into stakes for your first win, like extra 10,000 per race how many of that 47% be discarded. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Unhinged said:

If the million or more they are spending on breeding bonuses to help out the studs went into stakes for your first win, like extra 10,000 per race how many of that 47% be discarded. 

Doesn't matter if they're not fast enough or break down under training pressure.  I remember back to when I was working in a stable 40+ years ago the % that got to the races was about the same I.e. 1 in every 2.

Nowadays with limited opportunities for slow horses I'm surprised the drop out rate isn't greater.  Now that's where HRNZ might be able to make a difference in providing opportunities for slower horses enabling owners to get some wins and return.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

On 13/09/2022 at 1:49 PM, Unhinged said:

Thats one possibilty,but would that work? Southland put more money into the non win races,but they are struggling for numbers like elsewhere.

While there are many reasons for horses not being persevered with there is certainly a lot of healthy horses at the time they are taken out of training,never to be seen on a racetrack

I think the main reason is the bulk of professional trainers and their owners don't want to continue having a horse trained that can't win more than 1 race. Everyone must have heard that said many times.And of course they are talking about within the next year or so. 

Can you change that attitude. I don't think so because its obviously based on economics.

The type of stables that value their udr ratings are of significance as far as what they do with their cast offs and how they could be encouraged to redirect them to trainers who would persevere with them.

does hrnz run a registry for those type of horses that anyone looking for a horse could access or register one?would some of the more high profile trainers even use it if there was?

Then the question would become are there enough trainers around who would be happy to train a horse who has had 2 or 3 preparations,But who is not seen as an economically attractive.

The interest shown in that type of horse on gavel house auctions indicates there is still a demand for them,just hard to gauge the exact numbers. 

Then you would have to provide a handicapping system whereby those horses can find suitable races to compete in with lesser stakes than normal.To do that you may have to have the handicapper have the ability to give horses with say 5 or more unplaced runs in non win races  or 1 or more win races the opportunity to be given a dual handicap rating based on their current form so they could then compete in races against horses of similar ability.Clubs would have to gaurantee they run races for them. Maybe there could be a late autumn /winter /early spring circuit for that type of horse with a couple of races each day guaranteed.

A bit like the handicapping system we have,but additionally directed at a specific level.

Would punters bet on them Absolutely. Obviously not everyones cup of tea,but there are some that find races with only 3 or so stables represented a real turn off.

What i have suggested probably wouldn't get much support as many just say we shouldn't cater for that type of horse. Then in the next breath comment about the lack of numbers.

There are many horses never made available for someone else to train.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2

On 22/09/2022 at 11:27 AM, Honestjohn said:

I had a better strike rate than that. Good broodmares by good sires,  and go to good proven sires,  not the cheap ones.  I stopped at the right time.  Good proven trainers help as  well. 

Hj 

bang on the money . 25k to go to bettors delight and a owner turns down 200k for a weanling 

• Champ Post 1

On 15/09/2022 at 3:03 PM, the galah said:

Then you would have to provide a handicapping system whereby those horses can find suitable races to compete in with lesser stakes than normal.To do that you may have to have the handicapper have the ability to give horses with say 5 or more unplaced runs in non win races  or 1 or more win races the opportunity to be given a dual handicap rating based on their current form so they could then compete in races against horses of similar ability.Clubs would have to gaurantee they run races for them

I think you are on the right track there Galah.  If we can give horses a place to race where they can be competitive I’m sure a lot more will stick around. 

• Like 2