Bit Of A Yarn

Tracks Closing?

Newmarket

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

New punters need to be enticed into punting or the industry is doomed!

Yes new punting blood is desperately needed within NZ, to continue under the current model. Even more importantly, in my opinion, is keeping the ones now they now have. That said, they lost me quite some time ago.

The NZ TAB did just about anything they could to cut me from their ranks. With me they had an increasing spend. They welcomed me to Elite status. While in their elite status, they gave out fliers of the benefits you receive once included. One of which was getting shouted by them to a sporting event. During the three years I retained elite status I was never even offered to be taken to a sporting event. When I questioned my Rep about this, he asked me what I'd like to go to see. I told him I'd love to see a Breakers game. He thought it was an excellent idea, although the thought seemed to die & an offer never came.

Also during my time amongst the big guns the TAB, in their better wisdom, they took Trackside off of Freeview. I adapted by changing to viewing the races online. While that was adequate, I lost the ability to set up my Freeview recorder to catch the full action while I was away at the races to watch one/more of the charges I owned & then view the race when I returned home. Yes, usually within a week I could view the 1 minute replay available on the GRNZ website, yet sometimes that didn't even materialize.

As I became more disgruntled with the level of service I felt the TAB was providing me with, my turnover with them continued to drop. Eventually it dropped to the point where I didn't qualify for elite status any longer & was removed. That in itself didn't bother me, but the fact that now I had to pay them $2 to make an online deposit to my account sent me over the top. I went directly to Nathan (Elite services boss) & queried him about this, his reply was basically "to bad". I then told him to cancel my account with the NZ TAB & to this day it remains "suspended".

I did have a bit of a go at becoming leakage & punting with an overseas vendor, but that too had it's issues as the buzz was not in it any longer when I didn't have the ability to watch the races live.

So to this day, racing for me as an owner & punter are well behind me & I'm not looking back.

Did I enjoy it, YES! I enjoyed it so much that I put up with the poor service the TAB was giving me far longer than I would have any other vendor of any other product, punting or otherwise.

Edited by Yankiwi
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Kakama said:

So how do you get new punters involved....well for one, you don't slice through racecourses like they want to.

sadly they have little idea how to retain punting customers let alone get new ones involved

they dropped the ball ages ago and havent looked like picking up again

• Like 1

Here's just how good the TAB are at looking after their customers, in a nut shell.

The TAB lost me as a customer over a stinking $2 coin (fee). That's how narrowminded they are.

Why didn't Nathan say something back to me like, We do have to charge you the $2 fee, but in return we'll give you a $2 bonus bet? They were already well aware I liked to have a punt & would have felt looked after if I had a chance to win the $2 fee back.

"To bad Charles"

When I read that reply email from Nathan, as still their customer, in a 12 month period less than two years prior I had an FOB turnover of more than a quarter of a million dollars (yes I still have the spreadsheets which were broken down by daily spend & daily return).

Good on you TAB. May your business continue to thrive just like it currently is & best of luck drawing new blood into your den. I hope my feedback aids in your crusade & I'll keep checking the NZRB website for it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rangatira said:

i asked you and once again you are full of it

Rangatira, what the hell is it with you that you want to be such an antagonistic dickhead????

Ask the big boys at the TAB, and they will tell you!

Full of it? Yes, full of knowledge!

Edited by Brodie

10 hours ago, Kakama said:

Another thing to remember, my visit to add + ricc, I was by myself.....all other tracks I went with family or friends.This is how I got involved in the game...but sadly this will be lost.

The thing that will keep harness alive in the future are the grass tracks.

In this day and age of expense and social media, in time, grass track racing should turn into a weekend pastime for all. I believe it has that opportunity if marketed well enough. It would destroy the gallops as with just main tracks it will have no atmosphere at all.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Rangatira, what the hell is it with you that you want to be such an antagonistic dickhead????

Ask the big boys at the TAB, and they will tell you!

Full of it? Yes, full of knowledge!

i think you are once again confused brodie

a small portion which is roughly the increase to the codes has been borrowed not the entire funding package

please get upto speed

can you also provide the names and contact details for the big boys at the tab so i can put them straight

1 hour ago, Rangatira said:

i think you are once again confused brodie

a small portion which is roughly the increase to the codes has been borrowed not the entire funding package

please get upto speed

can you also provide the names and contact details for the big boys at the tab so i can put them straight

Rangatira, if you know more than what the boys at the TAB do, then kindly advise us all of your qualifications!

Why is it that they want to close so many tracks if they are making money  for the TAB.

Sports betting is where they are making the money, and that is subsidising the racing.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

26 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Rangatira, if you know more than what the boys at the TAB do, then kindly advise us all of your qualifications!

Why is it that they want to close so many tracks if they are making money  for the TAB.

Sports betting is where they are making the money, and that is subsidising the racing.

if those big boys arent just a figment of your imagination just send their names and contact details through

9 hours ago, Rangatira said:

if those big boys arent just a figment of your imagination just send their names and contact details through

I'm pretty sure Sports betting has leapfrogged race betting, a few years ago I remember reading that it was growing at a staggering rate of 30% year and one commentator suggesting the tab would be happy just to commingle with Aussie racing and just have Sports betting.

• Champ Post 1

38 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

I'm pretty sure Sports betting has leapfrogged race betting, a few years ago I remember reading that it was growing at a staggering rate of 30% year and one commentator suggesting the tab would be happy just to commingle with Aussie racing and just have Sports betting.

quite possible flagship uberalles but what brodie said was The TAB doesn’t make money on racing in NZ then claims he has evidence which he has yet to produce

brodie reminds me of when i eat chick peas nothing but a bag of wind

8 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

The TAB doesn’t make money on racing in NZ 

It certainly can't be doing very well or falling well short of what they expect with the drastic measures they are proposing, I mean our premier thoroughbred racedays stakes don't even come close to a Wyong or Hawkesbury Tuesday meeting and that's not to mention the very poor money on offer for a Friday night harness meeting. Something has gone terribly wrong with the home grown product and it stands out a mile.

• Champ Post 1

2 hours ago, Rangatira said:

quite possible flagship uberalles but what brodie said was The TAB doesn’t make money on racing in NZ then claims he has evidence which he has yet to produce

brodie reminds me of when i eat chick peas nothing but a bag of wind

Geez, you are an antagonistic xxxxxx

The TAB doesn’t make money on NZ Racing!!!  

They make money on sports betting and Oz Racing! !!

I have it on very good authority Ranga xxxx Tira, but I certainly am not going to name names on a public forum!!! 

21 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Geez, you are an antagonistic xxxxxx

The TAB doesn’t make money on NZ Racing!!!  

They make money on sports betting and Oz Racing! !!

I have it on very good authority Ranga xxxx Tira, but I certainly am not going to name names on a public forum!!! 

Are you saying that stakes paid does not equal net revenue earned?

3 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Are you saying that stakes paid does not equal net revenue earned?

What I am saying is that the costs to run racing in NZ is more than what the TAB receives.

I have it on very good authority!

A lot of meetings run in NZ costs them!

When you think about it, just shows how tab / racing has been run so badly. 

You have no competition, apart from on line operators, that have only really appeared to be a challenge last few years. 

Before that, you have monopoly, still using jetbet system from 80S, and get a huge % of every dollar spent at tab, some take outs huge on different bet types? Yet, you make no money? I suppose the only reason they like fixed odds, gives them chance to bet elsewhere to recover loses. 

Obviously run down for years

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

2 hours ago, Rangatira said:

dear old brodie making it up as he goes along

no evidence as it would be unfair to his imaginary industry friends

You are an absolute arse!!!!

Havent made up a damn thing!

Go back and crawl under a rock somewhere, you are just on here to cause trouble!!!