Bit Of A Yarn

Bookies - Who is setting the odds???

Brodie

Does  anyone know who the current harness Bookmaker is that sets the odds?

How on earth could Judith Gwenda open up at $2 fixed odds in the first race at Invercargill on Sunday?

Yes the horse is now trained by young Tyler Dewe who has done a great job with the horses he started!

However $2 first up for a horse that has shown very little so far at the trials including a very average performance recently at the trials for Dewe.

The horse was trained previously by Tony Barron in Canterbury  who is no mug trainer and yet when it ran 5th and qualified recently it didnt go very flash at all finishing last and a distance from the second to last horse.

If this Judith Gwen comes out and wins first up for young Dewe, there really does need to be some serious questions asked as to how a poor performing  horse that has shown very little can be turned around so quickly!

Can it win, No it can not on what it has shown so far but then again Dewe improved the hell out of very average horses before!!!!!

Edited by Brodie

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

How on earth could Judith Gwenda open up at $2 fixed odds in the first race at Invercargill on Sunday?

Yes the horse is now trained by young Tyler Dewe who has done a great job with the horses he started!

However $2 first up for a horse that has shown very little so far at the trials including a very average performance recently at the trials for Dewe.

The horse was trained previously by Tony Barron in Canterbury  who is no mug trainer and yet when it ran 5th and qualified recently it didnt go very flash at all finishing last and a distance from the second to last horse.

If this Judith Gwen comes out and wins first up for young Dewe, there really does need to be some serious questions asked as to how a poor performing  horse that has shown very little can be turned around so quickly!

Can it win, No it can not on what it has shown so far but then again Dewe improved the hell out of very average horses before!!!!!

Dewe has 13 wins and 9 placings from just 32 starts,so i guess he is someone who only lines them up if he thinks hes a chance. I  agree that the current $2 ff price seems  too short on its trial form.

I actually think the trainers who focus on the udr are good for the punters,but not so good for the industry going forward.

The likes of mark jones,greg hope,michael house,bruce negus still maintain good strike rates. They don't focus on the udr and race  a mixture of both good horses and the durable type horses.Owners can have a lot of fun racing the durable horses who go up and down a bit in the handicapping system,and they provide the numbers that make for better betting fields.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brodie said:

Yes the horse is now trained by young Tyler Dewe who has done a great job with the horses he started

Interestingly , very similar in the 3rd race the Dewe runner 15 Beautiful Noise has the $2.00 opening quote as well , and the regular stable driver. and not a lot of race form.

Stablemate The Ladybird , who won her last start for Dewe when backed in to near favourite, is at $11  this time round? , so is no chance this time ? unknown driver ?  both horses on 2nd row draws.

The number 1 horse in the last race Northview Peg is also only $2.20 opening price. Another Dewe runner. 

Tyler Dewe is continually picking up more horses from other stables!

Going to be very interesting to see if he can keep the wins coming like he has?

Not sure why he has had so many wins so early on in his career as he comes from the Hamish Hunter stable who hasnt got a great UDR?

If this Judith Gwenda was thought much of, I doubt Tony Barron wouldve sent it away down south!

Has shown very little so far at the trials and $2 fixed is crazy short, but punters be on if you believe the horse can prove me wrong!

8 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Interestingly , very similar in the 3rd race the Dewe runner 15 Beautiful Noise has the $2.00 opening quote as well , and the regular stable driver. and not a lot of race form.

Stablemate The Ladybird , who won her last start for Dewe when backed in to near favourite, is at $11  this time round? , so is no chance this time ? unknown driver ?  both horses on 2nd row draws.

The number 1 horse in the last race Northview Peg is also only $2.20 opening price. Another Dewe runner. 

Bookies not wanting any money on the Tyler Dewe horses clearly.

Going to be interesting tomorrow to see how they go but I believe there are far better value around Gamma.

The thing is Tyler is not overly gifted in the cart and yet he has this amazing UDR for training?????

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Bookies not wanting any money on the Tyler Dewe horses clearly.

Going to be interesting tomorrow to see how they go but I believe there are far better value around Gamma

too right . I won't be on them. 😄

Actually going for one horse tomorrow to beat them . A good driver in Tim the tigerman is onboard, and you know I always go for the best drivers lol . INSARCHATWIST in the last race at 20-1 odds. beaten by 5 x Addington class horses last time she went round but was going quite well prior to that.

Although with the race 11 named the Nathan Williamson Racing Stables Pace , a good chance that Hurricane Hendrix might win it trained and driven by Nathan Williamson ? 💰👍 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Interesting observation. Those odds seem  just as poor as the one brodie refers to as well,if the horses race day performances are compared to others they run against. Just reinforces what brodie has said in this thread,that the tab bookies often put up prices that no one will bet on . 

Just shows what we have been saying.

The tab doesn't believe in their own ability to set a market,then change the odds based on the money invested on each runner, to factor in a margin that should return a profit for each race.They take the meaning of risk adverse to a whole new level. Of course by doing that they are limiting their profits.

Thats why they don't take brodies bets,thats why they reduce ff win dividends when the TAB liability is as little as $10.O0,based on who places the bet on their account.Of note,and quite important,is the TAB doesn't do what bookmakers are supposed to do,they don't push out the price of other runners.

Which is why some of us say,it is the tab that is souring many punters from investing,thus costing the industry.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

57 minutes ago, the galah said:

Interesting observation. Those odds seem  just as poor as the one brodie refers to as well,if the horses race day performances are compared to others they run against. Just reinforces what brodie has said in this thread,that the tab bookies often put up prices that no one will bet on . 

Just shows what we have been saying.

The tab doesn't believe in their own ability to set a market,then change the odds based on the money invested on each runner, to factor in a margin that should return a profit for each race.They take the meaning of risk adverse to a whole new level. Of course by doing that they are limiting their profits.

Thats why they don't take brodies bets,thats why they reduce ff win dividends when the TAB liability is as little as $10.O0,based on who places the bet on their account.Of note,and quite important,is the TAB doesn't do what bookmakers are supposed to do,they don't push out the price of other runners.

Which is why some of us say,it is the tab that is souring many punters from investing,thus costing the industry.

The Bookies believe that a bet of $200 is a big bet worth showing as such on Trackside last night!!!! 

The interesting thing is that they mostly never mention bets that have larger returns than what they announce?

Very strange indeed!

19 hours ago, Brodie said:

Yes the horse is now trained by young Tyler Dewe who has done a great job with the horses he started

Perhaps the Dewe bubble is bursting. 💬💦

that 'JudithG' was galloping before it even got to the dispatch point (along with 3 other horses) Don'tthey gait them very well down in the deep South ? 'JudithG' never in the hunt as brodster predicted.

And likewise his short priced favourite 'Beautiful Noise' was struggling a lap out to try and come around the field and was gone at the 1/2 mile of being any chance. 'The Ladybird' could barely pace and galloped in the end as well in the same race. 

3 Total failures so far for Dewe , maybe the Bookie odds-setter will be more Realistic next time ??   😂

• Like 1

As they hit the line in the 4th race the trot with Brad williamson winning by a nose on the leader. 

Did you guys think the 2nd horse (the fav Master Class)  just needed a tiny bit of a 'shake up' maybe ? , to take victory easily. the punting supporters must be cranky with the lack of vigour. I think Butt thought she was gunna cruise past without any vigour at all and misjudged it quite poorly. not a great look for harness racing IMO.

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

Perhaps the Dewe bubble is bursting. 💬💦

that 'JudithG' was galloping before it even got to the dispatch point (along with 3 other horses) Don'tthey gait them very well down in the deep South ? 'JudithG' never in the hunt as brodster predicted.

And likewise his short priced favourite 'Beautiful Noise' was struggling a lap out to try and come around the field and was gone at the 1/2 mile of being any chance. 'The Ladybird' could barely pace and galloped in the end as well in the same race. 

3 Total failures so far for Dewe , maybe the Bookie odds-setter will be more Realistic next time ??   😂

Not sure who is setting the odds currently or are there several who do it for differing parts of the country?

Tony Barron actually sold that Judith Gwenda horse to Tyler Dewe clients, on what it has shown so far at the trials and today probably Tony Barron got the better deal.

The Bookies need to do their homework better and also let punters on for a reasonable amount!!!!!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gammalite said:

As they hit the line in the 4th race the trot with Brad williamson winning by a nose on the leader. 

Did you guys think the 2nd horse (the fav Master Class)  just needed a tiny bit of a 'shake up' maybe ? , to take victory easily. the punting supporters must be cranky with the lack of vigour. I think Butt thought she was gunna cruise past without any vigour at all and misjudged it quite poorly. not a great look for harness racing IMO.

I thought it looked like her horse just came to the end of its run in the last 20m. Is still quite inexperienced and has never  looked a horse than you would want to see driven too strongly with the whip in a finish.Just doesn't look foolproof under under real pressure yet in my opinion.So i didn't see anything wrong with the drive. Actually i thought she made the right moves and recieved a good run. The whale tipped it,so while hes a good judge,he has an uncanny ability to stop them,in my opinion.

Edited by the galah

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Not sure who is setting the odds currently or are there several who do it for differing parts of the country?

Tony Barron actually sold that Judith Gwenda horse to Tyler Dewe clients, on what it has shown so far at the trials and today probably Tony Barron got the better deal.

The Bookies need to do their homework better and also let punters on for a reasonable amount!!!!!!!

A missed opportunity by the bookies. Had they priced them at realistic odds they may have had punters investing and the tab could have made profits from those losing investments.

The tote prices were ridiculously short as well.Judith gwenda and beautiful noise both should have been paying at least $10,even with the dewe factor. Yet they were both only paying around $5 on the tote.Like i have said numerous times,the tote odds always seem to reflect the ff odds,and many punters who bet on the tote just take the bookies assessment as being accurate,when we know its not always the case.

• Like 2

Does anyone know how the NZ TAB they choose their Bookies?

Kieran McAnulty was once a Bookie for the TAB supposedly?

Michael Guerin on an interview with McAnulty asked him if he still had a bet???

McAnulty said that he still does!

Are you any good! Asked Guerin?

McAnulty said NO!!

So if he didnt know how to make money punting why on earth was he employed by the TAB to set odds???

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, the galah said:

I thought it looked like her horse just came to the end of its run in the last 20m. Is still quite inexperienced and has never  looked a horse than you would want to see driven too strongly with the whip in a finish.

In that case , i was being too harsh then. 

21 hours ago, Brodie said:

The thing is Tyler is not overly gifted in the cart and yet he has this amazing UDR for training????

Dewe Took a 'dent' today with 5 horses down the track. 3 of them galloping even . hope they put the right hopples on the right horses lol....   Dream-time is over it seems ....

'Northview Peg' got the Blowies in the last for the stable (possibly after the poor form early in the day lol) and didn't even complete the course . here's the stewards bit >>>>>>

Pup 1 Northview Peg 1 fr 262.50 4/4     Tristan Larsen (J) Tyler Dewe

NORTHVIEW PEG - broke in the score up hampering a trailing runner with a false start being declared. A warning was placed on the barrier record of the mare. Sent to the unruly position for the restart by the Starter where the mare will remain for future mobile starts. Broke again in the score up of the restart however was in position at the start. Paced roughly on several occassions and broke again passing the 1400m losing all chance being retired from the race. A warning was placed on the racing record of the mare.
  • Like 2

Watched Tyler Dewe being interviewed on Trackside today, and he came across as very down to earth and likeable young bloke.

He staRted his training career with a hiss and a roar and owners are now sending him all sorts of horses to improve!

Wish the young fellah all the success he can get as training standardbreds is one very hard way to make a decent living nowadays!

19 hours ago, the galah said:

A missed opportunity by the bookies. Had they priced them at realistic odds they may have had punters investing and the tab could have made profits from those losing investments.

The pricing has been terrible lately and the bookies have gone downhill on the pricing over the last couple of years. They open some ridiculously short and others who should be 1.40 shots are opened at 2.50.

Most of the time you can see they are trying to minimize their risks by trying to open the whole field at an even spread which really means they have no idea. Great for the punter as there is value on most races. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nowornever said:

The pricing has been terrible lately and the bookies have gone downhill on the pricing over the last couple of years. They open some ridiculously short and others who should be 1.40 shots are opened at 2.50.

Most of the time you can see they are trying to minimize their risks by trying to open the whole field at an even spread which really means they have no idea. Great for the punter as there is value on most races. 

Hopefully when Entain take over punters will be treated equally!

Currently unfortunately the NZ TAB is being run by amateurs!

They bring out the Top 2 and Top 4 socalled Power plays as well as the Head to Heads but you can not bet on them unless it is on your account as they do not put up “Option No.s”!!!!!

When the Head to Head option no. Does come up on the TV screen it is with a couple of minutes to race start???????

The Power Plays and Head to Heads need option no.s when they bring them out or it is just plain STUPID!!!!

The Top 2 and Top 4 are a total wasted exercise when they allow you on to NET $30 FFS!!!!

The decision makers at the NZ TAB are taking their salaries regardless of how useless they really are, and yes many should be losing their socalled jobs as soon as Entain takes over.

Not saying Entain is the answer definitely but seriously the NZ TAB has been operating unethically for many years and to the detriment to racing in NEW ZEALAND!

Edited by Brodie

1 hour ago, mikeynz said:

Brodie I know your views well but I honestly believe nought will change with this new lot either not that I'm saying good or bad I just don't believe much will change.

Mikey, you are possibly correct!

However if we left the current mob to make the decisions, then the harness industry is going to be in tatters!

It is just not the TAB either that are not performing in the best interests of racing, they are only looking after their own interests, however in a couple of years many will be looking for a new career.

Without the punter there is no racing as there would be no stake money worth winning!

What has happened to these ideas from the “Brain Storming” they had over a year or two ago?

i get a e mail from betway, i fluff around there, purely fun, boost the price for Roma v Milan on over 0 goals boosted fom 1 08 to 2 bucks, maximun bet 2.11, why would they even bother.

Ladbrokes in the uk would have been the meanest when it comes to bonuses, i played on those sites for a while,who owns Entain ?

• Like 1