Bit Of A Yarn

Waikato Track.

Mardy

Race 10 New Zealand Derby Group 1 22-23 Edition Heat 3 - SPECAq - 457 Heat 3 BAPTISTE (1) - referred to the Veterinarian after faltering shortly after the start where it was reported to have torn the left gracilis with a 42 day incapacitation issued. Must trial prior to resuming.

image.thumb.png.ed2222cb6227ea1b5fd4d4eb28451048.png

#1 - Torn left gracilis + head-on video replay not made available, until the dogs have got up to the camera man.

Connect those two dots.

1 hour ago, Yankiwi said:
Race 10 New Zealand Derby Group 1 22-23 Edition Heat 3 - SPECAq - 457 Heat 3 BAPTISTE (1) - referred to the Veterinarian after faltering shortly after the start where it was reported to have torn the left gracilis with a 42 day incapacitation issued. Must trial prior to resuming.

image.thumb.png.ed2222cb6227ea1b5fd4d4eb28451048.png

#1 - Torn left gracilis + head-on video replay not made available, until the dogs have got up to the camera man.

Connect those two dots.

I've watched the replay and can't see any indication that the #1 dog actually connected with the rail.  If they are the "dots you are trying to connect" then I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

I thought I'd do some research on gracillis muscle injuries.  They are very rarely if ever caused by contact but by the sudden acceleration of a greyhound from a cold start.  In this case from my observation it looks clear that the dog pulled the gracillis soon after the start.

Perhaps the issue is inadequate warmups of the dogs prior to racing.

2. Gracilis – We call this ‘the 0-60 mph’ muscle. It’s located on the inside of the thigh at the back. Its closest neighbours are the hamstrings. This muscle attaches from the bottom of the pelvis to the inside of the shin bone, and its job is to provide propulsion and to flex and extend the stifle joint. The gracilis is commonly injured as a result of the dog going from a standing still to accelerating up to 45 mph without a warm up. As the muscle is not prepared for action it commonly strains and the greyhound is left lame or with an irregular gait.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

7 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I've watched the replay and can't see any indication that the #1 dog actually connected with the rail.  If they are the "dots you are trying to connect" then I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

I thought I'd do some research on gracillis muscle injuries.  They are very rarely if ever caused by contact but by the sudden acceleration of a greyhound from a cold start.  In this case from my observation it looks clear that the dog pulled the gracillis soon after the start.

2. Gracilis – We call this ‘the 0-60 mph’ muscle. It’s located on the inside of the thigh at the back. Its closest neighbours are the hamstrings. This muscle attaches from the bottom of the pelvis to the inside of the shin bone, and its job is to provide propulsion and to flex and extend the stifle joint. The gracilis is commonly injured as a result of the dog going from a standing still to accelerating up to 45 mph without a warm up. As the muscle is not prepared for action it commonly strains and the greyhound is left lame or with an irregular gait.

I tend to agree.

So why exclude the head-on footage?

It's the only race on the night that they failed to provide it.

13 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

I tend to agree.

So why exclude the head-on footage?

It's the only race on the night that they failed to provide it.

Its called sanitization of NZ racing by Trackside TV at the behest of the NZGRA. They have practiced this deception for at least 15yrs.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

Friday night in Wanganui, in race #9, the #8 Aston Kennett did the same left gracilis, during a 4-dog race.

It wasn't censored. There was nothing to hide.

So that's why I questioned it & suggest there's more to the Cambridge story than what the Steward reported on Thursday night.

Obviously, something created the need for the censored replay footage. I know of one thing that's happening far too often up north that might have.

Edited by Yankiwi

5 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

So that's why I questioned it & suggest there's more to the Cambridge story than what the Steward reported on Thursday night.

Obviously, something created the need for the censored replay footage. I know of one thing that's happening far too often up north that might have.

Pray tell - what is the conspiracy theory you are promoting?  I'm not good at cryptic crosswords.

Are you going to remove all the gracillis muscle injuries from your spreadsheet listing rail collisions?

• 2 weeks later...

So just what was the mysterious force that tightened the #6 onto the rail?

It wasn't another dog.

Race 7 Trenzalore Stakes - C1 - 457 GRENADIER PRINCE (6) - referred to the Veterinarian after getting tightened onto the rail first turn where it was reported to have a minor graze on the left hind sesamoid area with no incapacitation issued.

image.thumb.png.768974db98ddd89a0371e2032fba3dbc.png

image.thumb.png.4c66149b8d9155c9d1194ea03ba1bd9e.png

Edited by Yankiwi

On 27/08/2023 at 1:25 PM, Chief Stipe said:

Completely off topic, sorry - but my re-homed greyhound has a knotted muscle in exactly that area, and is lame when he gets off the couch [ which isn't often ].   I did wonder what he might have done, seems like that is what it was.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Freda said:

Completely off topic, sorry - but my re-homed greyhound has a knotted muscle in exactly that area, and is lame when he gets off the couch [ which isn't often ].   I did wonder what he might have done, seems like that is what it was.

Sounds very much like it Freda. Not uncommon in racing Greyhounds. I'm glad you referred to your couch potato as rehomed and not rescued. Good luck in the third.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Freda said:

I won't even pretend to know what may have caused it.

What I can attest to is that it is more likely to occur the further north in the country it had raced.

Do you know by chance which tracks your now pet used to run around on a regular basis?

image.thumb.png.ddf19b9d2d2a29dd35bb4564a10517ad.png

Another fact which would be much harder or even impossible for me to track would be dog that get injured by striking the rail, that didn't show up as injured in the post-race vet check.

Like 'Mirko", who after this incident on 07/05/23 showed no injury minutes after the race in his post-race vet check.

image.thumb.png.a71e194da128d3bbca7c77f61f8296ab.png

He went on a 4-week spell after the incident, then returned to the track one final time, finished 6th, and was retired.

image.png.a8ccd1636ca691f5d0c8f8d339a6bafb.png

Something happened on that day which was never reported.

Dogs that have earned over $30K in purse money prior to being awarded their steel medal in Auckland don't just quietly disappear from the ranks for no reason.

https://www.grnz.co.nz/greyhounds/profiles.aspx?AnimalID=33495

2 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

I won't even pretend to know what may have caused it.

What I can attest to is that it is more likely to occur the further north in the country it had raced.

Do you know by chance which tracks your now pet used to run around on a regular basis?

image.thumb.png.ddf19b9d2d2a29dd35bb4564a10517ad.png

Another fact which would be much harder or even impossible for me to track would be dog that get injured by striking the rail, that didn't show up as injured in the post-race vet check.

Like 'Mirko", who after this incident on 07/05/23 showed no injury minutes after the race in his post-race vet check.

image.thumb.png.a71e194da128d3bbca7c77f61f8296ab.png

He went on a 4-week spell after the incident, then returned to the track one final time, finished 6th, and was retired.

image.png.a8ccd1636ca691f5d0c8f8d339a6bafb.png

Dogs that have earned over $30K in purse money prior to being awarded their steel medal in Auckland don't just quietly disappear from the ranks for no reason.

https://www.grnz.co.nz/greyhounds/profiles.aspx?AnimalID=33495

The dog raced at Invercargill and Dunedin.  He's a big dog,  lord knows how he managed to scramble around tight corners, he looked like an eggbeater, but he managed to win three in an awful lot of starts!    

Running along the beach in a straight line, he is a different animal, much more fluent.    He can't be bothered now though, he splashes half-heartedly for a few minutes then ambles along beside me.

Edited by Freda
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

You forgot to mention that he hadn't run a dividend bearing place in his last 6 starts.

8 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

You forgot to mention that he hadn't run a dividend bearing place in his last 6 starts.

I didn't need to.

4 of those 6 in C5 (top-grade).

2 of those 6 in C4.

His next start would have been in C3, which he would have been racing for $1500 for the first past the post.

image.thumb.png.60c347fd82730f94635d01e21ce1aedd.png

11 hours ago, Freda said:

Running along the beach in a straight line, he is a different animal, much more fluent.    He can't be bothered now though, he splashes half-heartedly for a few minutes then ambles along beside me.

Incredible animals, especially when you can see how quickly they cover the ground while running straight towards you.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

So he'd reached his level and needed to run poorly to fall back to a grade to be competitive.

He never won in C5, so yes he reached his level.

Races he won in C4 he led them out & went all the way, so he didn't come from off the initial pace.

In his final race (#5) he was out first.

image.thumb.png.18b42e83f61245ce879ecd6a5453609b.png

And after an unimpeded run to the corner was at the back of the pack.

image.thumb.png.ee0516dbf5eed9a4a04e8eb9679f8c84.png

Watch the head on footage at the end of the replay.

Edited by Yankiwi

4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

@Yankiwi you clearly have a bias - observational, sampling, definition - in fact every bias imaginable to support your hypothesis.  Whatever you do don't take up science research has a career.

So I take it you didn't watch the head-on footage near the end of the replay to watch him go back thru the entire field in the backstretch, a grade he had won in before.

That would be the only reasonable explanation for your observations about me.

On 28/08/2023 at 10:46 AM, Chief Stipe said:

Pray tell - what is the conspiracy theory you are promoting?  I'm not good at cryptic crosswords.

Are you going to remove all the gracillis muscle injuries from your spreadsheet listing rail collisions?

I wouldn't know the reason for this case, but gracillis injuries tend to occur when a dog shifts ground or overstretches. Tracks where dogs go deep into the running surface, or the track has a shifty surface at the top tend to be the main cause. I know the first case has been a problem at Auckland multiple times over the years.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jacob said:

I wouldn't know the reason for this case, but gracillis injuries tend to occur when a dog shifts ground or overstretches. Tracks where dogs go deep into the running surface, or the track has a shifty surface at the top tend to be the main cause. I know the first case has been a problem at Auckland multiple times over the years.

So it's not the running rail or hitting it?  Back to the drawing board @Yankiwi

5 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

So it's not the running rail or hitting it?  Back to the drawing board @Yankiwi

No change in tack for me.

My concern was the censored head-on footage of the race.

Steward report stated It was a gracilis injury. I only suggested that with the coverup, the rail might have had something to do with it.

You can track the injury types & causes if you want to.

My mission is to keep then off the rail.

13 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

Northern rails...

Same dog twice in the same race.

C5 dog - 6th race on the track/distance - PBD race.

First time possibly because of pressure.

image.thumb.png.33735c95071b313a85c9c99b9bba6bfd.png

Second time no excuses other than the rail between it & the lure.

image.thumb.png.c3565202d944c54900b81931fa7e53e3.png

Full replay.

Do you want them to run in lanes and have a lure each?  Doesn't seem a very bright dog.